tigger9777
Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader & Guru / FG Guide

152 Posts

Candy
Oakley CA
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2021 :  10:39:38 PM  Show Profile
I have been working on the Intermediate level for Languages/Culture merit badge. I chose to research Cesar Chavez for several reasons. Here in California, we have a lot of spanish speaking residents. I thought I need to learn more about the language and culture. I live on a ranch. Cesar Chavez was an activist for farm labor and civil rights. I found out that he was of Mexican/American back ground, grew up in Arizona but relocated to San Jose CA as a child. I live about 1.5 hours from San Jose CA. He is known for his farm worker rights activism, he was honorably discharged from the Navy, he set up a Community Service Organization and Civil Rights Organization for Latinos in CA. Cesar Chavez founded the National Farm Workers Association which later became the United Farm Workers Labor Union. He received the Presidential Medal of Freedom (posthumously) after his death in 1993.
Candy Hogan #8283

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6693 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6693 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2021 :  2:19:05 PM  Show Profile
Candy, thank you for sharing! Great work with your badge. Good luck with the remainder of your badge and with submitting!

Krista

Edited by - MaryJanesNiece on Feb 15 2021 2:19:43 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Merit Badge Chit Chat: Previous Topic Languages/Culture Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page