Lacey
Chapter Guru

154 Posts

Rea
Davis Ca
USA
154 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2021 :  7:11:19 PM  Show Profile
Just started my apple badge. It was fun to learn about the origins of the apple and how it made its way to the New England of the United States. Also that Thomas Jefferson propagated apple's at Monticello and how their family made cider for a dinner drink.
I tried four new varieties of apples Opal being my favorite .
This August to November look forward to going to Apple Hill in Northern California where they grow about 2 dozen different varieties of apples

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9203 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9203 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2021 :  05:56:33 AM  Show Profile
What were the four new varieties that you tried Lacey?

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2021 :  07:20:46 AM  Show Profile
Lacey, I am glad you are enjoying your apple badge! It is a fun one to work on and allows you to be more aware of all the work that has been done to make the varieties of apples that you find in the grocery store. I have already completed the badge, but this Summer, I decided to try every new variety of apple in the grocery store and make a note about it in a small journal. Many apples I had to look up to see how they came about which was interesting research and very easy to do on the internet. Starting the project on 7/22/20-1/13/21 I have tried and recorded 24 different varieties. Next, I will see what comes out of New Zealand in our late Spring through Summer when many stores stock these apples since they are the current harvest from the Southern Hemisphere. Many of us Love our Apples and there have been a lot of work cultivating better tasting varieties that still hold up to shipping and shelf life. Don't hesitate to try out these new varieties and see for yourself what you think.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018

Edited by - Red Tractor Girl on Feb 15 2021 07:22:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2021 :  2:25:01 PM  Show Profile
Great work Lacey! This is such a fun badge to work on. What was the 4 varieties you tried? Apple Hill sounds so exciting. Do you plan to try all the apples?

Winnie, that’s a great idea to keep record of the apples. This would be a great way to go back to the ones you really enjoyed and recall which ones would work best for certain recipes.

Krista
Go to Top of Page
  Merit Badge Chit Chat: Previous Topic Apples Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page