True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2021 :  08:41:58 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls!

Do any of you make your own Easter candy? I started last year, after making chocolates with my cousin the Christmas just before. SUPER easy, and saves a TON of money - plus it tastes so much better! I love it! I have a little electric melting pot, which I absolutely love, but this year I invested in a couple of Nordic Ware double-boiler type melting pots, just to make slightly larger batches and make the process easier.

I've found that I do not like the silicone molds nearly as much as the hard plastic ones, surprisingly. The plastic ones are just easier - you tap them, and out pop the chocolates. The silicone ones are just harder - like peeling odd-shaped bananas. I just don't like them.

So this year, I'm planning on making chocolate covered Oreos and pretzels and maybe homemade grahams; chocolate bunnies, little foiled eggs (not as "perfect" as store bought, but even yummier!), peanut butter eggs, bunny feed (popcorn, nuts, jelly beans and Easter M&Ms and candy corn in white chocolate), coconut egg nests, baklava, and a variety of other nuts and coconut and toffee chocolates, as well as white chocolate macadamia nuts. I'd like to make some chocolate covered cherries this year.. Maybe some hand-molded fudge nut eggs, too. I'm so excited to get started. Everything was such a bit hit last year... Cant wait to make up the baskets and leave them by front doors!

What are you making?

And do any of you make sugar free candy? My foster son is diabetic, so I'd like to treat him to something good. He doesn't like the store bought sugar free candy because it gives him digestive distress. I would love suggestions for more natural sugar substitues, and recipes, and any hints if there is any special way to incorporate them into the treats!

Thanks so much!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Mar 03 2021 08:43:59 AM

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2021 :  12:23:06 PM  Show Profile
Hi Nini, that sounds wonderful! I agree, the hard plastic molds are better. My mother used to make and sell chocolates. It was a lot of work! I made coconut eggs a few years ago but they were too sweet. I liked them but no one else would eat them. My former brother-in-law made chocolate covered cream cheese one year. It was really good. Cut the cream cheese into small cubes. Put in the freezer until stiff then dip in chocolate.
Sorry I don't have any tips for diabetics.

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2021 :  06:28:11 AM  Show Profile
Oooh! Coconut eggs! That...oooh! Yum, Andrea!

I've never heard of chocolate covered cream cheese before! Oh my dear Lord my hips! Lol!

I was going to start makimg candy today but after remembering how hard it is to keep the hubs from Christmas cookies, I think I'd better wait a bit longer. Lol. The man has a terrible sweet tooth. I want to be sure he doesn't have time to consume everything before baskets are made! NOTHING stops him. Lol.

Hugs,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Mar 06 2021 06:29:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2972 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2972 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2021 :  6:43:55 PM  Show Profile
Check out this:
https://wellnessmama.com/category/recipes/desserts/

I've made some of her cookies a while ago (before the price of almond butter went through the roof!) and they were good. I noticed there's a recipe for truffles and chocolate covered bacon. I didn't look at the specific recipes but her recipes should all be grain and sugar free.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2021 :  09:50:56 AM  Show Profile
OOOOH! Junior mints are my weakness, Heather! And truffles would be a very special addition to the baskets this year! Thank you!!! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2021 :  09:53:27 AM  Show Profile
Oh my, Heather - I just saw the chocolate bacon, too! My hubby will go nuts! Occasionally I will make him candied bacon, but chocolate is HIS weakness! LOL! Thanks again! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Easter Candy Making Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page