Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2021 :  11:04:46 AM  Show Profile
Okay girls... Just have to share... Broke down and purchased an air fryer at Costco the other day for under $50. Big splurge because I am trying to be a very good girl this year and not buy anything extraneous. I've listened to family and friends tout the joys and benefits for years and have been resisting all impulses as I see more and more exciting new models pop up everywhere. Mine is a basic model, does have like 16 functions, but I didn't want to go whole hog on something unless I knew for sure I would get my money's worth.

Well..

I love it.

First on the menu was store bought batter dipped frozen fish and leftover frozen restaurant fries for our Friday Lenten dinner. I honestly didn't think it was going to be any better than what the oven produces, but WOW. Oh my gosh! Wow! SO much better! Crispy on the outside, tender on the inside, and ALL the fat drained to the bottom - we didn't have to eat anything that laid in grease during cooking. It was amazing!

Next I reheated frozen leftover chicken - not to hot, cooked level, but just enough that it was thawed and I could easily turn it into chicken salad or sliced chicken sandwiches. (I don't do microwave). Another win!

Then I roasted vegetables - WOW. Awesome!

And last night I did roasted onions and peppers with chicken sausage. The amount of grease from the sausage that was in the bottom of the unit was enough to make me never use anything BUT this machine again. The taste and texture? Perfection.

I am so, so happy I splurged! This air fryer thing is amazing. I can use it to do so many different types of foods, and the clean up is a breeze. I actually felt like I did a lot less work when making meals these past few days. It saves time. It saves pots and pans and clean up. I am also super excited about not having to heat up my whole oven to make a small meal just for myself and my hubby! I mean, I will always use my oven - but only for big baking and roasting jobs. In summer, especially, though, this is going to make my life a whole lot easier. And on busy nights after a week full of appointments, it is going to be a godsend for food preparation! I'm so grateful!

Do any of you have tips, tricks, suggestions or recipes to share? And what types of accessories do you use, and where do you get them? I would love to do small batch baking in this machine, too!

Thanks so much!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2021 :  08:17:06 AM  Show Profile
Nini, you will find so many good uses for it, and it makes it easy to make homemade meals faster so there is less need for junk food or takeout.

Have you got an InstaPot? I would recommend that one, too. Those two together are great.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2021 :  08:23:10 AM  Show Profile
I have been having a blast with this thing, Nicole! The only flop so far was homemade fried chicken. The meat cooked to perfection, but the coating? Yuck. Will have to work on that! I've seen a lot of different uses for it online, and am really excited to experiment, for sure! I've used it all but one night since getting it. I am really excited about not having to heat up the kitchen this summer!

No, I do not have an InstaPot! I'm not really sure I would use it, but I really would love to hear more about it! Is it a pressure cooker or something more? What do you use it for? What do you like most about it? I'm interested, just don't know enough!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9237 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9237 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2021 :  2:35:39 PM  Show Profile
I have been contemplating an air fryer too Nini. Do you have to use oil? I really do not eat fried foods if I can avoid it. I would love if anyone would share recommendations on brands.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2021 :  4:35:51 PM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
I love my air fryer and use it all the time. I am alone but I like things I always made in large amounts for a family, now I make a hand full of frozen french fries, tater tots or onion rings. When they have a few minutes left I put a couple hot dogs on top and finish. Quick meal with a small salad and like you said easy, quick cleanup. I love making fish in it, my sons fish all the time so I have fresh fillets that I bread and make. The web is full of ideas, sounds like you already love it.

Blessings and Hugs,
Gail

Farmgirl Sister #506
Aim high; shoot for the moon and if you miss it, grab a star.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2021 :  4:53:25 PM  Show Profile
Hi Denise!

Ok, so... Most recipes do not require any oil at all. SOME recipes require you to spray a little oil on your food (like a spritz of oil), and I personally will toss things like fresh sweet potato fries or brussels sprouts with a little oil before putting them in the air fryer. BUT the beauty is that as the air fryer works its magic ALL fat drains off your food and into the bottom of drawer.

I made homemade meatballs last week and was in total shock over the amount of fat in the bottom! But the meatballs were perfectly done, slightly having that light crunchy outside layer as if they had been fried up in my cast iron skillet, but well cooked and tender-moist inside. Best meatballs ever!

I had been on the fence for so long. But when I saw the price, I called my son and foster daughter asking them to talk me into it. They did! They were so right! This air fryer is one of the best kitchen purchases I have ever made!

I have to run, but will give you some ways to use it as soon as I can. In the meantime, if any of you have ideas or recipes to share, that'd be awesome!

Hugs,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Mar 23 2021 4:55:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9237 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9237 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2021 :  06:51:28 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Nini!

I'd love some recommendations on brands!

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2021 :  11:59:41 AM  Show Profile
Actually I just bought an "off" brand (I think it's an "off" brand, not sure what else to call it.), at Costco for under $50. The maker's name is "Gourmia." It has 12 different presets and functions. You can air fry, bake, broil, reheat, even dehydrate, and more! I was telling my friend the other day that I am thinking I could use two side by side... She suggested maybe I consider one of the even bigger ones, because they do so much more. I think I'm just going to play around with it for a while before deciding. I'm having fun with the one I have - that's good enough for me... for now! ;)

I just learned the other day that you can even hard boil eggs in the air fryer without water! You put 6 eggs in the bucket on top of the tray, set the machine for 270 degrees for 15 minutes. (No water! No kidding!) When they're done, you just submerge them into ice water before peeling! They looked just like hard boiled eggs! Haven't had a chance to try it yet, but plan to this weekend. Will definitely let you all know how it works out! SO much fun!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2021 :  08:17:42 AM  Show Profile
Just a quick update girls: the "hard boiled eggs" in the aire fryer works! And really well, too! Yay!

Hugs,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2021 :  10:09:38 AM  Show Profile
i have a friend that recently got one and she loves it for so many things like potatoes, fish, chicken wings etc. Enjoy your new toy that everyone says is a time saver and so much healthier!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Finally Bought An Air Fryer! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page