Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Any Bread Storage Recommendations?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Any Bread Storage Recommendations? Next Topic  

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2021 :  08:31:13 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls!

We just love homemade bread; but it never keeps very long. I end up making croutons or homemade breadcrumbs after a couple of days. And sometimes I cube it and freeze the cubes for making bread pudding or stuffing at a later date. I could freeze some of it whole, but that kind of defeats the purpose of making fresh bread. I usually store the unused portion in a plastic bag for a day , maybe two; but I don't think that is the best way. I love the bamboo or metal bread boxes I've found online; but my mother's words from when I was a child still ring in my ears: "Once you get a little mold in a breadbox, you never get rid of it." I dont want to buy sonething nice just to have to throw it out after a few uses.

What are your thoughts? How do you store your bread? Any recommendations? Thank you!

Hugs,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2021 :  02:51:26 AM  Show Profile
I keep mine in plastic bags, in a bread box. We have my husbands great grandmas bread box. I have tried a cloth bag, but the bread dried out in that. I keep the bread in the freezer until we need it. I do make smaller loaves.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

527 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
527 Posts

Posted - May 23 2021 :  09:25:03 AM  Show Profile
I have the same problem Nini. I have a bread container from Tupperware. I've had it for about 20 years so I don't know if they still make it. It's square and has a piece in the bottom so the bread doesn't sit on the bottom, sort of like a grate. It doesn't seal like most tupperware containers. It's more like a flip lid. If tupperware doesn't have them maybe try the container store.

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6685 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6685 Posts

Posted - May 24 2021 :  12:55:51 PM  Show Profile
I have only used plastic bags as well. I wish I knew of a better way to store bread. Luckily our bread tends to not last long in my home, but my bundt bread does. And most of the time it goes bad. I need to find a better way to store it. Or make a smaller batch.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9237 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9237 Posts

Posted - May 31 2021 :  04:56:13 AM  Show Profile
I keep mine in plastic bags in bread box and freeze the others. My recipe makes 4 loaves at time. It does goes bad quicker than store bought but I only have two of us here now. I cut the loaves in half now then freeze because we don't use it fast enough.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/

Edited by - levisgrammy on May 31 2021 04:58:46 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Any Bread Storage Recommendations? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page