Author Merit Badge Chit Chat: Previous Topic Make It Easy: Music Next Topic  

Carrie W
Farmgirl Legend/Chapter Guru

437 Posts

Saratoga Springs New York
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2021 :  09:24:12 AM  Show Profile

Do you recognize either of these men? The one on the right should at least look a little familiar. That's Ludwig vanBeethoven. The German born composer of the late 1700-1800's. His works include Moonlight Sonata (my favorite) and dozens of other sonatas, concertos, marches, quartets and SO much more!

The man on the left in my photo is also well known, although telling you that his name is Hans Zimmer, also German born, will not necessarily mean alot to you. But, he is the composer who "Wowed!" us with musical scores to over 150 films! Among his scores are those of The Lion King, Pirates of the Caribbean, Interstellar, Dunkirk, and so many others. He is considered, in the industry, to be a modern day Beethoven.
They both played piano and composed music for instrumentation for the full orchestra, although the orchestra of Beethoven’s time period was not as vast as Zimmer’s. They both wrote highly expressive musical scores, with wide ranges of emotions. They both used augmentation, which means that their melodies often include intervals which increase by half steps or half tones. They both utilized diminution, which means that a single long note is divided into multiple shorter notes, in a way that is melodic and “ornamental.” And they are both described as having “thematic integrity” in their compositions.
What sets these two composers apart is the fact that Zimmer integrates electronic sounds with his traditional orchestra. He also plays keyboard, synthesizer, guitar and banjo, while Beethoven was strictly a pianist. Zimmer’s compositions are written for much larger orchestras due to many new musical instruments on the scene of todays orchestra, although Beethoven’s music has been extrapolated to include parts for these instruments, too.
Sadly, artists like Hans tend to fade into the background of fame and recognition in the cultures in which they live, but his work lives large and will most likely continue to impress long after Hans leaves the planet, just like Beethoven’s beloved music.

Do you have a favorite Beethoven composition?

How about Hans Zimmer? Check out his work at https://youtu.be/VkgAMHfDRzk

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147
2009 Farmgirl of the Year

Not your average Girl ;-)

Tis better to weep at joy than to joy at weeping--Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2021 :  12:36:16 PM  Show Profile
Carrie, my favorite Beethoven piece the Ninth Symphony with the Choir. Actually, I love any Beethoven piece because they are all beautiful. Hans Zimmer is new to me but I recognize the theme songs from the Lion King and Dunkirk. I have always loved classical music and Beethoven's era gave us so many talented composers! Thanks for sharing this information.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2021 :  2:43:16 PM  Show Profile
Hans Zimmer sounds very familiar. I wonder if I have read his name before from movie credits and that’s why it seems familiar. His music was very nice to listen to. My favorite Beethoven piece is Fur Elise. When I was younger and in piano lessons I was learning how to play that song. It’s been so many years I have actually forgotten how to play, but it’s still beautiful to listen to!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

ManyLeaves
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Susan
WA
17 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2021 :  5:03:03 PM  Show Profile
I agree - the 9th is my favorite, especially the last movement - Ode de Joy. There is a great flash mob of that on the internet that was preformed in front of a bank in Spain.
https://www.openculture.com/2012/07/beethovens_ode_to_joy_flashmobbed.html
Go to Top of Page

AussieChick
Sharpshooter

347 Posts

Cindy
Bend Oregon
USA
347 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2021 :  6:05:23 PM  Show Profile
I would say that my favourite Beethoven compositions would have to be Piano Sonata No. 14 (Moonlight Sonata) & Sonata No. 8 ("Pathetique" -2nd movement). I quite like the work that Hans Zimmer did for the movie "Sherlock Holmes". There are some unique blends of instruments in that film - adds a bit of quirkiness to the character!

Farmgirl #6058
Farmgirl Sister of the Year 2021

"The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have".
Go to Top of Page
  Merit Badge Chit Chat: Previous Topic Make It Easy: Music Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page