Author Merit Badge Chit Chat: Previous Topic Music Badge= Expert Next Topic  

ManyLeaves
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Susan
WA
17 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2021 :  3:39:47 PM  Show Profile
I started flute lessons 2.5 years ago. Growing up I had always wanted to play the flute, but since we already had a piano in the house, and flutes are expensive, piano it was. I hated the lessons, mother made me practice an hour a day except Sunday. I constantly threatened my piano teacher with abandoning her for the flute (empty threat since I did not have one!). So getting close to retirement I splurged and bought myself a beautiful Powell conservatory flute. I was going to teach myself. However I rapidly discovered the flute is not an instrument amenable to self instruction. I found a wonderful flute teacher in NYC that gives lessons on line 2.5 years ago and have been with her since.

As I live in a remote area, off the grid, there are no local choirs, no open mic nights. I do have electricity (solar and generator) and internet via satellite). So I invited my neighbors over for a short concert/recital one cold winter evening. This was followed by hot spiced wine!
The program:
Menuet in F Major - Handel
Waltz in G # Major Schubert
Minuet in G# Major - Mozart
Arietta - Haydn
Scottish Dance - Beethoven
Gigue - John Clerk of Penicuik
Allegretto from Fantasia in D minor - Mozart
Sonatina in G Major - Beethoven

AussieChick
Sharpshooter

345 Posts

Cindy
Bend Oregon
USA
345 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2021 :  5:46:27 PM  Show Profile
Hi Susan - Your concert sounds amazing! Well done! The hot spiced wine also sounds like a great accompaniment.
I also learned to play piano from the age of 7. My sister and I went to lessons every week until we were about 15. I hated having to practice and show up to lessons every week. When I moved overseas I didn't play very much but, in recent years, I salvaged an old piano, painted it up and decided to get back into it. I love it now because I can play when I want to play and I can play the songs that I enjoy. I also play organ for our church on Sundays. I have often thought about learning the flute or the violin for something different. Maybe the flute is the way to go!!

Farmgirl #6058
Farmgirl Sister of the Year 2021

"The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have".
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2021 :  5:07:06 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations on completing your badge Susan. I played the flute for a couple years in school. It’s been years now and I have probably forgotten everything. I still have my flute stored away. I should get it out sometime and see what I remember. I bet your neighbors really enjoyed the concert and wine.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2021 :  4:21:19 PM  Show Profile
Wow,Susan, what a lovely concert you shared with your neighbors!! That was a fantastic idea and I bet they all just loved it too. I sure wish I had been there too. I love classical music and I bet you did a great job.

I used to play violin, but did not keep it up through high school. I wish today that I had because I loved to play the music with the rest of the orchestra members. What a convenient way to pick up an instrument using online teaching too.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W
Farmgirl Legend/Chapter Guru

437 Posts

Saratoga Springs New York
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2021 :  08:30:38 AM  Show Profile
Susan, thank you for sharing!! I have a flute too and I just love it but don't currently have a teacher. I did take some lessons before my teacher friend had her last baby then she got too busy to continue, so I did teach myself some simple songs. I hope to get back into it. Certainly this would be easy enough to learn with online instruction. Kudos to you for sticking with it and satisfying this desire :-)

I love your description of your living situation...I wish I could be your neighbor! That is my dream, to live as you do and have neighbors to work with, love, and support! Blessings~

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147
2009 Farmgirl of the Year

Not your average Girl ;-)

Tis better to weep at joy than to joy at weeping--Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing
Go to Top of Page
  Merit Badge Chit Chat: Previous Topic Music Badge= Expert Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page