Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Chit Chat
 The Secret Life of Bees
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Merit Badge Chit Chat: Previous Topic The Secret Life of Bees Next Topic  

Allison Clark
Chapter Guru / Farmgirl Guide / Sharpshooter

76 Posts

Allie
Nacona Texas
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2021 :  7:55:50 PM  Show Profile
My friend Candy let me put two beehives on her land that mike let us foster for a bit. Candy let all her weed grow so they had a way to make the honey. For the last three months, I have been monitoring them. I talked to them and took pitchers of them. I have very much enjoyed being around them. We went to Mike and he took the time to show us how to extract the honey. He first used a machine that was hot to uncapped the honey from the tray, then used a round brush to make sure they were all uncapped. Put them in a centrifuge to spin the honey from the frames. The honey would go to the outside of the walls and drain to the bottom. Mike would then strain it into a bucket. The room needs to be very warm during this process. I think I sweat so much, but it was worth it. I purchased some from him and gave them to some friends. I really enjoyed doing this merit badge.

Allison Clark

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2021 :  1:37:06 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations Allison on finishing another badge! It sounds like you had a blast and learned so much. Enjoy the honey.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

527 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
527 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2021 :  2:02:52 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations Allison! Bees are so amazing. I remember the first time I saw honey extracted. As you said, it all stuck to the sides. It didn't look like much but once he started emptying it out I couldn't believe how much honey was in there.

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W
Farmgirl Legend/Chapter Guru

437 Posts

Saratoga Springs New York
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2021 :  08:34:13 AM  Show Profile
Looks like fun! I want to try this someday, despite an allergy to bee stings, lol. It's just too interesting not to try!

I had a childhood friend who's family had hives and I remember them spinning the frames and letting us dip into the honey. I knew that someday I was going to have to do this for myself someday. And to have the wax, too, to craft with...what fun!

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147
2009 Farmgirl of the Year

Not your average Girl ;-)

Tis better to weep at joy than to joy at weeping--Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing
Go to Top of Page
  Merit Badge Chit Chat: Previous Topic The Secret Life of Bees Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page