katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2021 :  9:21:26 PM  Show Profile
Am I the only one?? who has a husband,,, that thinks we are Nuts!

I spotted this cool washer at a yard sale as we were driving home from our daughter's house...
I shrieked to my hubby to pull off the road.. he complied and I jumped out of the truck and ran up and asked how much for the Washer???
Hubby caught up with me and said,, NO! no, you don't need to drag home another piece of junk... I just ignored him and told the seller I'll take it... hubby's jaw dropped,, then he just shrugged his shoulders and mumbled,, "more junk" as he walked back to the truck to get his work gloves to load up the washer..

But when we got home he said,, how about we put this on the corner of your garden and then you can plant some of your Geraniums in it... NOW my jaw dropped!
Next years Geranium garden... or maybe mints....

Tomorrow I will hose off all the dirt...and then dream about next years flowers growing in it.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Aug 24 2021 9:22:56 PM

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2021 :  9:40:32 PM  Show Profile
Grace, that is a treasure for sure. You and Hubby did good. One year my sister planted white petunias in a square galvanized washtub and put a old washboard in it. Sorta looked like a tub of suds.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 2014
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2021 :  10:16:00 PM  Show Profile
Sara... ya mean like this one? lol!

lol!

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2021 :  04:59:17 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Grace - I have three of those hanging in my laundry room. Lol! In addition to a small travel one and a soap saver.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015 and April 2017

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2021 :  06:01:46 AM  Show Profile
Yes Grace it's just like yours. Betty used one that was about to fall apart to put in the tub. Her good ones hang in her laundry room.

Linda that's a neat collection of rub boards. I too have a lye soap saver hanging next to my rub board. Mine has a green handle so I think it's from the 1920s or 30s. Your's is probably older -don't you think.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2021 :  07:09:12 AM  Show Profile
I spent a summer doing laundry on my back porch in one of those washers. My washer broke down and we had to save up for a new one. My clothes haven't been as clean since.

Sherone

Lean on me, when you're not strong, And I'll be your friend, I'll help you carry on, For it won't be long, 'Til I'm gonna need, Somebody to lean on.

Farmgirl Sister #93

Our Blog
http://www.tinytaylorhomestead.com

Our Etsy Shops
http://www.annapearlsattic.etsy.com

http://www.taylorstowels.etsy.com

http://www.tinytaylorhomestead.etsy.com

Our Thrive Life Store

http://www.tinytaylorhomestead.thrivelife.com

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6685 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6685 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2021 :  08:23:24 AM  Show Profile
I love it! And I can't wait to see what you do with it next year. I also think everyone's husband thinks their nuts, but they secretly love it! Lol just like your hubby showed.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2021 :  08:59:53 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
In response to your original question, ed says "Absolutely not! "

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2133 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2133 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2021 :  11:47:28 AM  Show Profile
My husband has way more junk than I do. I need to catch up.
Actually I'm trying to get rid of stuff so my kids won't have so much to deal with but every time I clear a space he fills it up.

Judith

7932 FGOTM 6/21
I'm old and I do wear purple

Edited by - StitchinWitch on Aug 25 2021 11:48:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2021 :  12:59:22 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I agree in both counts, Judith. Ed has a lot more than me, at least his junk is larger pieces. I am also trying to clean out stuff so Dean or Ed's 2 boys don't have to deal with it.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2021 :  4:57:29 PM  Show Profile
Haha! That is where you both are going about it all wrong!!!
My daughter knows the stipulation in the Will is to get the money & house etc,,, she has to take the 'stuff' as well!!! Lol!

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4715 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4715 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2021 :  7:16:06 PM  Show Profile
When I was very little my mother used a washing machine just like that! I remember how hot & sweaty her face would get as she stirred the clothes around in a tank to rinse them, then put them through a hand wringer. Needless to say she was overjoyed when I was about 5 when my dad bought her a modern washing machine & yes, dryer!

Have fun planting in yours Grace, thanks for taking me down memory lane.

Dawn in IL

"Just living is not enough, one must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower." Hans Christian Andersen
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2021 :  1:14:32 PM  Show Profile
As a child growing up on military bases in Germany,, we lived in apartments that had huge basement utility rooms, big enough for us kids to play in during the snowy winter months, also the communal laundry room was there. There were usually 2-3 washers, no dryers.. but there were clothes lines attached to the walls. the washers looked like the one I brought home, with the wringer on top. We kids were forbidden to touch the wringer. There were also several iron boards and irons.
Because US electric current and plugs were different from the German ones we had these big heavy duty current transformers to plug into.
I remember my mom buying her own German iron
And folding several towels and a sheet on top of the kitchen counter to make a make shift ironing surface so she could iron in the apartment and listen to music.
Mind you, in these apartments, were 6 families in a Stairwell, with 2 Stairwells per building.. meaning 2-3 washers per 12 families. That meant one had to be mindful of ones use of the machines and not leave their laundry sitting for hours. Ditto for the clothes lines.
Mom was always discreet with the under garments, bringing them up to dry on the radiator and other warm/sunny area in the apartment.
Maybe that is why I just had to have this old machine, to remind me of how easier my life is.

Thank you Mutti for not complaining about doing the laundry..

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2133 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2133 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2021 :  6:32:48 PM  Show Profile
We were on a vacation once and the laundry room in the campground had a double washtubs and a wringer. Mom washed and rinsed and I put the clothes through the wringer. Everything was fine until a couple of days later when Mom went to the showers, carrying her clean clothes, soap, and towel. She returned clean and mad. I had put her bras through the wringer and smashed all the hooks. I was about 10 or 11 at the time and nobody ever told me not to put bras through the wringer.

I have heard you can shell peas by freezing them and then put them through the wringer. Supposedly the peas stay on one side and the pods come out the other side. I haven't had a chance to try it so I don't know how well it works.

Judith

7932 FGOTM 6/21
I'm old and I do wear purple
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2021 :  07:12:30 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Back to your original question/statement, Grace. I found this sign in an antique shop on Wednesday. What do you think? Ed liked it. LOL!

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2021 :  08:32:18 AM  Show Profile
Linda, I can see where Ed would find the logic in that sign. He's a keeper for sure. Tell him hi for me.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2021 :  08:41:26 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Well, it doesn't work ALL the time. There are several things I've been asking him to do for months, and they still aren't done. LOL!

I told him you said Hi.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2021 :  10:50:39 AM  Show Profile
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! First of all, Grace, you got yourself a beauty of an old washing machine!!! Great, great find!! And hubby's idea of a Geranium flower location sounds really good too. I love that idea for a garden. I also love the memories you had as a child and the laundry facilities in your apartment building. Laundry was a big deal and took a lot of time each week. We are so spoiled at how easy we have it today with our modern machines! Even the laundry mats are well equipped and easy to use.

Linda, that sign is totally PERFECT!!! I love it and you were also lucky to come across such a neat treasure!

I am also loving these stories of wash boards and seeing the collections of some that you all have found. I have a small new one that is a replica that I found in ACE Hardware store, which is my favorite place to shop for all sorts of cool stuff.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2021 :  4:32:57 PM  Show Profile
Grace, with the way they are making washing machines now, I think I'd rewire it and make it usable, lol! If my Speed Queen ever dies, that is exactly what I have threatened to do.

Linda, I have the same washing boards and I have used the steel ones when we didn't have a washer for 2 weeks. They work so good, and in the meantime, make for nice decor. :D

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.blog
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2021 :  5:41:59 PM  Show Profile
Good Grief---do I remember these things! My grandma and mom washed on one nd I helped and then when I first got married and lived in an old house I used one---except in the winter when the water froze and I had to get water from the cellar faucet and use tub and washboard! Lovely times. We sold moms when I moved to this farm and threw one away and my friend asked for it---she did use it for flowers in her lawn---and all I know was that I hated it!!! Now I can see the beauty in it---I use an old galvanized bathtub for my porch flowers now---although I used to bathe in one as a child----hillbilly heaven for sure!

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Husbands... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page