Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Chit Chat
 Carpe Cocoa: Seize the Chocolate!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Merit Badge Chit Chat: Previous Topic Carpe Cocoa: Seize the Chocolate! Next Topic  

AussieChick
Sharpshooter

345 Posts

Cindy
Bend Oregon
USA
345 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2021 :  5:34:59 PM  Show Profile
I organised a "Truffles & Trivia" night at our church for the expert level of this merit badge. Half way through the evening, guests could indulge in the truffles, together with hot tea, coffee or my own homemade mulled wine. The truffles that I made included Hazelnut Truffles, Chocolate Rum Truffles, Hazelnut Apricot Truffles, Lemon & Coconut Truffles, Wild Orange Truffles, Choc-cherry Truffles with Salted Coconut. Here are a few recipes:-

Wild Orange Truffles
1 cup dates
1 cup cashews
1/2 cup raw cacao powder
1 cup desiccated coconut
1 tbsp cacao nibs
2 tbsp virgin coconut oil
5 drops wild orange essential oil (I use Doterra)

Add dates, cashews, cacao, coconut and nibs to your food processor and blend. Add coconut oil and essential oil and process again. Roll into bite size balls and place on baking paper on a tray in the fridge for 1 hour. Serve with a hot cup of tea and enjoy.

Hazelnut Apricot Truffles
1 cup castor sugar
1 cup water
3 cups packaged ground hazelnuts
1 cup chopped dried apricots
1/4 cup cocoa
2 tsp lemon juice
1 cup icing sugar
400g dark chocolate, melted
1/2 cup chopped dried apricots, extra
300g dark chocolate, melted, extra

Combine sugar and water in medium saucepan, stir constantly over heat, without boiling, until sugar is dissolved. Bring to boil, boil 5 minutes, uncovered, without stirring; remove from heat.
Add nuts, apricots, cocoa and juice to sugar syrup, cook over low heat, without stirring, for about 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in sifted icing sugar and chocolate in 2 batches. Spread mixture onto tray to cool to room temperature. Roll level teaspoonfuls of mixture into balls around a piece of extra dried apricot. Place on tray, refrigerate several hours or overnight. Dip truffles in extra chocolate; place on foil-covered tray; refrigerate until set.

Farmgirl #6058
Farmgirl Sister of the Year 2021

"The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have".

debbieklann
Sharpshooter/Schoolmarm

763 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
763 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2021 :  07:42:38 AM  Show Profile
Cindy, what a great evening!!! And these all sound fabulous....thank you for sharing your recipes! I was hoping you would include the hazelnut apricot recipe :) Was there a favorite at your taste testing party?

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl of the Year

"Well behaved women seldom make history"....Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2021 :  1:17:14 PM  Show Profile
Yummy! Your night sounds like a lot of fun. I don’t know how I could choose just one. I would have tasted every single one of them! Did you end up with a favorite? This badge is still at the top of my list of badges I want to work on. Congratulations on completing your expert level.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4708 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4708 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2021 :  05:06:35 AM  Show Profile
Your recipes sound delicious! Thank you for sharing them with us.

Dawn in IL

"Just living is not enough, one must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower." Hans Christian Andersen
Go to Top of Page

AussieChick
Sharpshooter

345 Posts

Cindy
Bend Oregon
USA
345 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2021 :  10:15:34 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the feedback, ladies! Yes, I have 2 favourites. Here are the recipes for them both:-

Chocolate Rum Truffles
100g dark chocolate, melted
1 1/2 tbsp dark rum (I use Bundaberg Rum)
2 tbsp cream
30g butter, melted
1 3/4 cup icing sugar
1 cup packaged ground almonds
1/4 cup cocoa

Combine chocolate, rum, cream and butter in bowl. Stir in sifted icing sugar and almonds in 2 batches. Cover, refrigerate until firm. Shape rounded teaspoonfuls of mixture into balls, roll in cocoa, refrigerate before serving.

Choc-Cherry Truffles with Salted Coconut
2 cups desiccated coconut
1 1/2 cups glace cherries
1/4 cup single pouring cream
360g white chocolate
2 cups desiccated coconut, extra
1/2 tsp sea salt flakes
400g 70% dark chocolate, finely chopped
1 tbsp vegetable oil (I actually used macadamia nut oil)

Place the coconut, cherries and cream in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Place the white chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Using a metal spoon, stir until melted and smooth. Add the cherry mixture and mix until just combined. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours or until just set.
Place the extra coconut on a large tray, sprinkle with the salt and set aside. Place the dark chocolate and oil in a medium heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Using a metal spoon, stir until melted and smooth. Roll teaspoonfuls of the cherry mixture into balls and insert a toothpick into each truffle. Dip the truffles in the melted chocolate, allowing any excess to drip off. Roll the truffles in the salted coconut to coat, remove the toothpicks and place on a large baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until set.

Farmgirl #6058
Farmgirl Sister of the Year 2021

"The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have".
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2021 :  1:27:16 PM  Show Profile
Delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipes Cindy! I’m going to have to try one.

Krista
Go to Top of Page
  Merit Badge Chit Chat: Previous Topic Carpe Cocoa: Seize the Chocolate! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page