Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Chit Chat
 Her-story - Wilma Mankiller
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Merit Badge Chit Chat: Previous Topic Her-story - Wilma Mankiller Next Topic  

Nancy Joplin
True Blue Farmgirl

176 Posts

Nancy
Ontario California
USA
176 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2022 :  10:25:01 AM  Show Profile
For the Intermediate Level of the Her-story merit badge, I chose to read about and research Wilma Mankiller. I have been fascinated by her since I found out that she was the Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation. After reading her autobiography, I can say that she was a truly amazing woman! Not only did she make things better for her whole Nation, she made improvements for women as a whole.

1. Wilma Pearl Mankiller was born November 18, 1945 in Tahlequah, Oklahoma. She died April 6, 2010 in Adair County, Oklahoma from pancreatic cancer.

2. In Cherokee, her native language, the name "Mankiller" is "Asgaya-Dihi". Her name has survived for five generations. Originally, Mankiller was a title similar to calling someone Major or Captain.

3. Her family moved from their land to Southern California in 1956 (one month before Wilma was eleven). The Government was relocating Indians under a new policy. Wilma's family moved to San Francisco.

4. As the first female Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation, Wilma "revolutionized the largest Indian-run health care system in the Country. She doubled the annual tribal revenue and tripled the tribal enrollment.

5. Wilma was inducted into the National Women's Hall of Fame in 1993. She received the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 1998. She created the Institute for Cherokee Literacy in order to preserve certain Cherokee traditions.

After reading her autobiography, I am even more intrigued by the amazing person that I have admired for so long. I plan to find out as much as I can about Wilma Mankiller.

So proud that she is one of us!

Nancy Joplin 8352

debbieklann
Sharpshooter/Schoolmarm

764 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
764 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2022 :  5:54:47 PM  Show Profile
She sounds like a great woman, Nancy! Just in time to celebrate her for International Women's Day!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl of the Year

"Well behaved women seldom make history"....Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2022 :  1:54:01 PM  Show Profile
Great job Nancy! She sounds like an amazing woman!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2022 :  10:09:34 AM  Show Profile
Nancy this is fascinting! Several years ago, I got to visit the Cherokee Nation city in Tahlequah, Ok. What an incredible story of this Indian tribe and the many great things they put together for their people.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page
  Merit Badge Chit Chat: Previous Topic Her-story - Wilma Mankiller Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page