Nancy Joplin
True Blue Farmgirl

176 Posts

Nancy
Ontario California
USA
176 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2022 :  1:21:21 PM  Show Profile
I am working on the Intermediate Level of the Languages/Culture Merit Badge. My chosen language/culture is Hungarian. I am part Hungarian, but we were not raised up celebrating much of the cultural tradition. We did enjoy the cookies and food at Christmas and Paprikas and gulash during the year.

I have wanted to know how to speak Hungarian since I was little and heard my Dad speaking to Grandma and Grandpa in New York.

I researched a famous Hungarian for the Intermediate part of this merit badge. I chose Edward Teller. Yes, I am a science nut!

Teller was born to a wealthy Jewish Hungarian family on January 15, 1908 In Budapest, Hungary. He died in Stanford, California, USA on September 9, 2003. He was considered to be "The Father of the Hydrogen Bomb." He became a naturalized citizen in 1941.

Teller was one of the scientists who urged Roosevelt to develop the atomic bomb program. But after the Soviet Union detonated their first atomic bomb in 1949, Teller helped to convince Harry Truman to agree to a crash program for development of a hydrogen bomb. Teller and Polish mathematician Stanislaw Ulam devised a plan in 1951. The first thermonuclear device called "The Mike Shot" yielded 10 megatons of TNT. It was about 100 times more powerful than the bomb detonated at Hiroshima in 1945.

Teller received a degree in Chemical Engineering from University of Karlsruha in 1927 and his PhD in Physics from University of Leipzig in 1930. His advisor for his PhD was Werner Heisenburg, and the dissertation dealt with one of the first accurate quantum mechanical treatments of the hydrogen molecular ion.

Early on he worked with Niels Bohr who was a Dutch Physicist who made contributions to the understanding of atomic structure and quantum mechanics.

Teller made many contributions to Physics including the Jahn-Teller Effect (1937) and the Brunauer-Emmett-Teller (BET) isotherm.
He is also known as a big proponent of Ronald Reagan's Strategic Defense Initiative (SDI) which we call Star Wars.

He was the Director of the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory at the University of California at Berkeley from 1958 to 1960. He was a professor at the University from 1952 to 1960.

He was a difficult person to work with. He also had a "Mad Scientist" stereotype because of his belief in nuclear weapons strength.

debbieklann
Sharpshooter/Schoolmarm

764 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
764 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2022 :  5:52:13 PM  Show Profile
Nancy, this is really fascinating stuff!
My great grandma came to the States via Canada from Hungary on a ship. She didn't talk about the trip over much, it sounds like it was no luxury cruise. She brought fabulous recipes with her from the Old Country! She used to make homemade strudel. She would stretch her strudel dough so thin on the kitchen table that you could see her tablecloth through it. It would take her all day and then it would be eaten in less than 30 minutes..so time consuming but so yummy! A lot of her recipes had poppyseed filling of some kind.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl of the Year

"Well behaved women seldom make history"....Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2022 :  2:00:57 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations on finishing your intermediate badge Nancy! This was an interesting read. Thank you for sharing what you learned.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2022 :  10:07:16 AM  Show Profile
Nancy, I enjoyed your interesting information that you learned. Gathering more information on ancestors usually leads to a all sorts of family links. Glad you are enjoying this badge and thanks for sharing what you learned.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

margie38572
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Margaret
Crossville TN
USA
29 Posts

Posted - May 06 2022 :  09:24:51 AM  Show Profile
I love that you've chosen Hungary! My paternal grandparents came from there and I love reading about the country and its traditions. And I love to read about famous and noteworthy Hungarians. We weren't raised either with a strong Hungarian heritage in the forefront so lots of the history of my family from "the old country" has been left unanswered. Happy to read what you've discovered. I'm trying to learn more Hungarian words myself. Be blessed!

Farmgirl Sister #7915

Margie
Go to Top of Page
  Merit Badge Chit Chat: Previous Topic Languages/Culture Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page