windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2022 :  11:31:13 AM  Show Profile
Tomorrow we will be out tapping trees. Finally getting some decent temps coming our way. Once we get cooking we will also be smoking venison bacon. Figured might as well have both going at the same time. It is alot of sitting and tending fires. The venison bacon will be a first for us. We have smoked our pork bacon and hams.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9237 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9237 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2022 :  11:40:08 AM  Show Profile
Michele,
Venison bacon sounds good! I'm sure your syrup must be tasty too! We've never done venison bacon nor have we ever smoked it. Let us know how it comes out. It is cold and windy here. We had snow on and off today. Winter isn't over yet.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2991 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2991 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2022 :  1:10:42 PM  Show Profile
Funny little story - I was inspired by your posts last year making maple syrup and the sugar. For Christmas I asked for a book about backyard maple sugaring. Gotta start small right? I got the book. I was so excited I asked my husband where he thought we could get some of the taps locally. He asked me where I was going to put them. I replied in the maple trees. Thinking to myself - where else would I put them! Then he had to go and be Mr. Smarty Pants - which trees are the maples he asked. Well, that's a mighty good question because I can only identify the maples by their leaves and right now they don't have any!!!! UGH! I tried to convince him that the one tree in our back yard that I know is a maple is a good place to start. He doesn't think one tree is enough to mess with LOL! Guess what I'll be doing this summer! Yup, putting something on all the maple trees :)

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2022 :  2:24:00 PM  Show Profile
Michelle, I know smoking bacon and tapping trees is a lot of work but it's got to be little bit fun too.

Hugs, Sara "FarmGirl Sister" #6034 Aug 2014
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2022 :  05:36:48 AM  Show Profile
lol Heather. You can tap as few trees as you would like. Remember the ratio, appx 40 gallons of sap to 1 gallon of syrup. Our trees we usually run around 27 to 1. We tap hard maple. So to impress mister smarty pants, don't tell him, but there is a free app for your phone that you can get, and it will identify what the trees are from a picture of the bark. lol You can make taps, google it. My niece put out 4 taps on two of her yard trees. I know she ran a piece of tubing from what ever she used as a tap to a bucket sitting on the ground. Pop a hole for the tube to go through and your set. It is alot of boiling though. Depending on the size of your tree you can put 2-3 taps on it.
Hope you get to give it a try.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2022 :  09:25:09 AM  Show Profile
Michele, this sounds like a fun early Spring event for you! I love Maple syrup and bacon with some pancakes would make a fine breakfast before heading out to tap trees.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2680 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2680 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2022 :  4:58:25 PM  Show Profile
I grew up on venison, anything venison is wonderful! Enjoy!!

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2022 :  5:59:20 PM  Show Profile
First cooking if finally done, on Saturday. A cold blustery day. Hard to keep the lines running at first, but it got better. Almost 3 gallons canned. Been a slow year for the sap run. Venison bacon was done on a wood smoker. turned out pretty darn good. Of course we went to vacuum seal it all, and my machine died. Ordered a new "better" one which is supposed to be here wednesday.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9237 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9237 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2022 :  06:42:18 AM  Show Profile
Do you freeze your venison bacon Michele?

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Tis the Season Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page