katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16958 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16958 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2022 :  2:02:14 PM  Show Profile
Just when I thought I might get to go some clean up and planting,, Mama Nature got snarky AGAIN!
Almost lost my Forsythia bush,, and my chocolate mint, Thank goodness I had covered the mint with straw,, but the flowers on the Forsythia wilted over,, and the new budding leaves on my Roses got frost burn! UUGH!

Up here where I live, the general rule for planting is: after Mothers day or when there is no snow on Mica Peak...
which is frustrating because just 12 miles down the highway,, (Spokane) it is 10'degrees warmer....and they don't get the icy winds like we do out here on the West Plains.
Thats the trade off,, live in a crowded city on postage stamp sized lots (been there, done that) or live on acreage out in farm land.

But, I will say,, my strawberry plants are hanging in there, as are my Gooseberry, Currents and raspberry plants are budding..

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2022 :  2:05:44 PM  Show Profile
this has been a long drawn out winter for us all it seems. My rhubarb is just starting to come up a little bit. In the twentys for lows this morning and tomorrow morning.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2022 :  12:27:38 PM  Show Profile
I feel the same way Grace. I got my cold crop seeds in and none of them are coming up. My guess is because the weather can’t make up its mind. It’s confusing my plants. My rhubarb has come up some and also has frost bite. Luckily my raspberries are still ok. As long as it doesn’t freeze again. Here’s to hoping for some warmer weather soon.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2654 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2654 Posts

Posted - May 03 2022 :  6:16:36 PM  Show Profile
Grace, we have the same exact issue... our rule of thumb is we don't plant until Memorial Day weekend or when the majority of the snow is melted from The Three Sisters (part of our cascade range). I've had spring fever soooo bad, I had some beautiful garden starts about 3-4 inches tall, planted them in my little green house and they all died. My hubs keeps reminding me it's too early. Just today, as I was taking my son to a Dr appt in Bend, I noticed our three sisters, glowing all white and beautiful! Completely covered with snow... still... Memorial day is only 4 weeks away... Yet, I broke down, and stopped at the garden center and bought a few organic starts and I even planted them today. Fingers crossed tight! I just had to! I needed some green! I will do my best to baby them for another month and cover on the cold nights and hope for the best!

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16958 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16958 Posts

Posted - May 04 2022 :  12:14:41 PM  Show Profile
April, it drives me nuts when I go into town and see all the Garden Centers in full bloom,, Spokane is usually 5-8" degrees warmer then us out here on the West Plains..
Because we are not a concrete jungle, we don't have the added heat off the roads and buildings..
Then there is also the Challange of trying to protect the young seedlings from becoming a smorgasbord for the Deer, Moose and wild turkeys!

Well fingers crossed(eyes too!).. our plants will survive! lol!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - May 06 2022 :  12:30:42 PM  Show Profile
I am amazed at how cold it remains out there in the Pacific NW! Is April into May always like this?? Everyone is fed up with cold by the time it is the end of April. Old Man Winter GO AWAY!! At the other end of the US down here in Florida, we have hit 90 degrees almost every day this week and we are in our dry season and we desperately need some rain. Wish we could send some out to those states that need a break and some warmer weather!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Not Ready Yet! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page