Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Pfaff Sewing Machine
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Pfaff Sewing Machine Next Topic  

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - May 09 2022 :  5:22:29 PM  Show Profile
This farm gal got a new/old Pfaff sewing machine...
Just like the one I had as a child...

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - May 09 2022 :  5:26:06 PM  Show Profile
I received a child's toy sewing machine for Christmas 1965, the following Autumn mom, sis and I moved back to Germany.. everything was sold off donated or given away including my little sewing machine.. my wonderful husband was able to locate one for me.. I have the most wonderful husband...

>^..^<
Go to Top of Page

Wanda Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

1093 Posts

Wanda
Murrells Inlet SC
USA
1093 Posts

Posted - May 09 2022 :  6:29:26 PM  Show Profile
THAT is so very cool !!

A day hemmed in prayer is less likely to unravel.

Farm Girl #3677
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - May 09 2022 :  7:39:43 PM  Show Profile
I love it. What a sweet story!!! :)

Karen :)
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
Sharpshooter/Schoolmarm

763 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
763 Posts

Posted - May 09 2022 :  8:12:16 PM  Show Profile
That is the sweetest story!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl of the Year

"Well behaved women seldom make history"....Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - May 10 2022 :  06:42:22 AM  Show Profile
Grace, your DH is defiantly a keeper. So special for you to have your sweet memory back.

Hugs, Sara "FarmGirl Sister" #6034 Aug 2014
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6395 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6395 Posts

Posted - May 10 2022 :  10:22:59 AM  Show Profile
That is amazing! Your hubby is a darlin’ to find a treasure and memory for you. Enjoy my friend.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
With Colorado on My Mind
Farmgirl of the Month September 2012 and February 2018
“My altars are My Mountains
and the Ocean.” Lord Byron”

When I am Old I Shall Wear Purple !!

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2972 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2972 Posts

Posted - May 10 2022 :  5:01:31 PM  Show Profile
What a wonderful find by your husband!

I think you two should try your hand at treasure finding - like sunken ships and long lost hidden treasure chests of gold and jewels!!! With the amazing things you guys find at antique stores, thrift store, and garage/estate sales I bet you two would find the treasures in no time LOL!

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4086 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4086 Posts

Posted - May 10 2022 :  5:32:37 PM  Show Profile
what a nice surprise, enjoy!!

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2656 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2656 Posts

Posted - May 10 2022 :  6:59:11 PM  Show Profile
Another treasure! Oh my goodness, how sweet! I remember having a childhood sewing maching, but couldn't for the life of me tell you what brand... my mother was always good at cleaning out clutter and things would just disappear and we'd never know until much later down the road! I love to find old childhood treasures... remind me of the Santa Claus 2 movie! So sweet and nostalgic!

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038

Edited by - Dreamer42 on May 10 2022 6:59:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - May 11 2022 :  11:32:16 AM  Show Profile
Grace, that is the cutest sewing machine ever! You have the best husband to hunt down things like that for you! Have fun playing with your new treasure and enjoy memory lane.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - May 13 2022 :  12:50:56 PM  Show Profile
Oh Grace, I love this story about your little sewing machine. It is a real cutie too!! What an wonderful hubby to track one down that is in great conditions and with original box and accessories !! Absolutely awesome!! I never had a child sewing machine, but when I was 12, I wanted to learn how to sew and my Mom taught me how on her Singer which I now own as the only machine I have. My first project was making a madras shift dress for school because madras was all the rage in 1963. I remember being so proud when I finished and wore it school! After that dress, I kept at it and learned to sew better and better. My Mom was a patient teacher and she would not redo any mistake. Instead she would show me how to correct it and then it was up to me to fix it. Zippers were one of the hardest parts of learning to sew for me. I think I was always so excited to make something and finish it that I went to fast for my skill level. But ripping it out a few times made me finally slow down and do it by basting it all in place first. Learning to sew was not only a skill but lessons in patience for me.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - May 13 2022 :  1:51:27 PM  Show Profile
RTG,, luv your trip down memory lane.. my 1st true sewing project (other than making Barbie clothes),, was a plaid wool -Pleaated skirt with matching vest back in 8th grade! OyVay!
Need I say more!!!
I was not great with zippers either,, but for some reason I had no issues installing the fairly new "invisible" zippers... as for button holes, my little sewing machine was easy peasy.. snap on the button holer foot, pop in the button and then dial each stitch.. now i have fro-fro machines that I HATE using the button holers... thank goodness I don't construct and sew clothing anymore... lol!

>^..^<
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - May 14 2022 :  05:46:02 AM  Show Profile
Grace, those first real sewing projects we took on were fun and exciting. We could make real clothes and wear them!! It was something really big to a 12 year old girl entering her teens. When I did my first buttonholes, Mom’s machine was pretty easy to use too. They were not the stumbling block for me. Today, however, when I look at the machine manual book on how to do all these things that the 1957 Singer Machine could do, I think to myself, “how in the world did I do that?”LOL!! It all seems a bit overwhelming to me . Alas, I just dumbed down as I aged when it came to sewing. If you don’t keep up the skill, you get lazy and forget how to do things well. Plus you lose that precision that you had to earn in the beginning of learning to sew correctly. It is that lack of precision that causes all those irritating mistakes that makes things go goofy and then makes the project a pain in the neck instead of fun. At least that is what has happened to me.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018

Edited by - Red Tractor Girl on May 14 2022 05:47:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

Wanda Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

1093 Posts

Wanda
Murrells Inlet SC
USA
1093 Posts

Posted - May 14 2022 :  06:24:47 AM  Show Profile
My mom always made our clothes growing up, so as a teenager I picked out a pattern to practice. She showed me how to pin the pattern to the cloth, and cut around the notches. After sewing the bodice to the skirt, I was confident I could do the rest on my own. I matched the notches on the sleeve to the bodice and sewed them together. When I turned it right side out to admire my work, the sleeve was upside down, lol. Mom had to watch me closely after that. The only thing I have sewn since then is to hem curtains or piece a few quilt blocks.

A day hemmed in prayer is less likely to unravel.

Farm Girl #3677
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - May 14 2022 :  12:33:31 PM  Show Profile
Those old buttonholers made the absolutely best buttonholes. I sew most things on my newer Bernina but when comes to buttonholes I get out an old Singer and the buttonhole attachment. Easy peasy and looks far better than the ones made on the new machines.

Judith

7932 FGOTM 6/21
I'm old and I do wear purple
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - May 16 2022 :  12:43:46 PM  Show Profile
Judith, I agree.. I do not know why,, but on the rare occasion that I need to make a button hole (usually on an apron).. the top and 1 side turn out ok,
but the returning side.. looks wonky,,, maybe I shouldn't drink wine when sewing button holes! lolol! J.K. :>)

>^..^<
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Pfaff Sewing Machine Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page