Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Places to Sit to Let Your Mind Wander or Dream
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Places to Sit to Let Your Mind Wander or Dream Next Topic
Page: of 2

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - May 12 2022 :  1:54:04 PM  Show Profile
I'm a sitter. I sit here and I sit there. I especially like to have places to sit outside.

There's the front porch where I sit when I've been working on the front flowerbeds or early in the mornings when I want to watch my street come alive. It's also a good place to bird watch.

My favorite place to sit is the side porch (carport) in my wicker rocker. When I'm by myself Annie is with me, and she guards the street and I do what I do best - sit & let my mind wander. My sisters also like to join me on the side porch - it's a great place to have a snack and chat.

The other two places are the back deck and Yellow Rose Cottage's porch. I sit out there when working in the back yard or canning in the cottage. The deck is the only place that is not covered so I sit there when I want to feel the sunshine on my face.

If you enjoy sitting outside share your favorite places with us.

Hugs, Sara "FarmGirl Sister" #6034 Aug 2014
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6392 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6392 Posts

Posted - May 12 2022 :  2:25:40 PM  Show Profile
We just moved into our new home so I am still adjusting and trying to decide where to put chairs around the yard. I really like sitting on the deck and soaking up the sun like you do Sara. I feel that my favorite place to sit will be by our creek. I am giddy with the excitement that we have a creek that we can enjoy and I can put my toes in the water. I know that will make me happy.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
With Colorado on My Mind
Farmgirl of the Month September 2012 and February 2018
“My altars are My Mountains
and the Ocean.” Lord Byron”

When I am Old I Shall Wear Purple !!

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - May 12 2022 :  3:32:38 PM  Show Profile
Debbie, I can see you down by the creek with a circle of chairs. Your own creek now that is special. So happy for you.

Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6392 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6392 Posts

Posted - May 12 2022 :  4:02:42 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Sara.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
With Colorado on My Mind

Go to Top of Page

Wanda Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

1093 Posts

Wanda
Murrells Inlet SC
USA
1093 Posts

Posted - May 12 2022 :  6:02:15 PM  Show Profile
Wow Debbie! You also have a creek on your property? How lucky you are to have that too!!
Sara my favorite place to sit is in the back corner of my yard, where I can see the house, my bird feeders, the small garden patch and also gaze through the patch of woods surrounding our property. We have the occasional wild turkey or deer pass through as well as smaller animals. Listening to the birds and trying to identify which type is a favorite pastime of mine. Now that it’s Spring, I will take my shoes off so I can enjoy the new grass between my toes, lol. Ahhh, simple pleasures!

A day hemmed in prayer is less likely to unravel.

Farm Girl #3677
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6392 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6392 Posts

Posted - May 12 2022 :  6:37:54 PM  Show Profile
Oh Wanda Sue, it sounds wonderful can I come and play?

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
With Colorado on My Mind

Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2196 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2196 Posts

Posted - May 12 2022 :  6:43:10 PM  Show Profile
We have a wood gazebo with a picnic table and a porch swing. I just got large cushions and a blanket to make it the perfect spot to recline and read. And toss a ball for our puppy.

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - May 13 2022 :  04:27:11 AM  Show Profile
Wanda Sue, we must be kindred spirits I too like to sit where I can view my house & gardens.

Vanessa, I have seen your gazebo on your other posts. It's lovely and your view is wonderful. It must bring you a lot of joy to sit and lookout over the rolling hills.

I'm canning this morning so I will be sitting on my Yellow Rose Cottage's porch. Wanda Sue mentioned simple pleasures don't you think they are some of the best times we can have.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9203 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9203 Posts

Posted - May 13 2022 :  04:38:29 AM  Show Profile
Right now we don't have many chairs, this will be our first full summer here, so when I want to sit out it is either on the deck, where there is lots of sunshine or it is on the steps of the front porch. That is rare unless I am watching the grandlittles leave. We are getting a cover for the pergola eventually, either canvas or planting morning glories which is my preference. I am thinking of getting some small rockers for the front porch.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Wanda Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

1093 Posts

Wanda
Murrells Inlet SC
USA
1093 Posts

Posted - May 13 2022 :  06:08:43 AM  Show Profile
Denise I love rocking chairs on a front porch to watch the world go by. Whether it’s cars, people or animals. In my opinion, a porch, deck or gazebo is a very essential part of a house!

Farm Girl #3677
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6392 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6392 Posts

Posted - May 13 2022 :  06:48:02 AM  Show Profile
I forgot about the rocking chairs, have to have one or two hanging around outside!

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
With Colorado on My Mind

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - May 13 2022 :  09:47:08 AM  Show Profile
Denise, it does take time to settle in and know what to add to your sitting areas. Like others have said rocking chairs are on top of the list. Your pergola sounds like it will be a great place to sit. Morning glories would be lovely.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - May 13 2022 :  12:37:13 PM  Show Profile
We have a pergola outside that has comfy outdoor furniture. Hubby has created such a beautiful backyard with all these bird feeders and blooming flowers that it has become our favorite place to hang out when the weather in good. It makes the best reading spot ever because it is usually quiet and comfortable. I have a lot of Farmgirl theme stuff too which makes me smile as well. I also decorate it up by the seasons which is fun and makes it even more pleasant to hang out in. Apples are, as you might guess, a year round theme as well. Love those apples!!

Debbie, I think it is wonderful that you have a creek in your back yard! Wow, I would love that too. Enjoy!!

Sara, I love that you can just sit and let your mind wander and take in whatever is happening at the moment. For some reason, I don't do enough of that and it would be a good habit to work on this Summer!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018

Edited by - Red Tractor Girl on May 13 2022 12:39:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - May 13 2022 :  12:49:52 PM  Show Profile
My favorite place to sit outside is in the cow corral lol! There is just something so peaceful to me sitting and snuggling with the baby calves. I could stay out there all day if I didn't have other responsibilities I had to do lol.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6392 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6392 Posts

Posted - May 13 2022 :  1:40:18 PM  Show Profile
Krista, I think Heather would love that too. She loves her cows and babies

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
With Colorado on My Mind

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - May 13 2022 :  4:06:18 PM  Show Profile
Winnie, your back yard & pergola sounds wonderful. I know you spend a lot of peaceful moments there. As far as being able to sit and let my mind wander, I believe that comes with my age, I turned 80 in March. I find I not only enjoy my quiet times I need them.

Krista, your time spent in the cow corral with the babies must bring you quite a bit of joy. I remember seeing pictures of the mountains in the background of your farm. What a beautiful place you have.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - May 14 2022 :  05:53:54 AM  Show Profile
Krista, I completely understand the peace that comes from being with your animals. Especially, like Sara mentioned, the beautiful scenery where your farm is located. There is something very calming and fulfilling to be around animals for me and many other people. Animals help direct our worries and distractions away by their always being in the present moment. They are not like us with our minds rewinding past things and racing forward with the things to do later. They just take in the moments , which for someone like myself, is hard to do. Do you find that your mind also calms and worries seem to abate for those moments when you are with your animals?

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

Wanda Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

1093 Posts

Wanda
Murrells Inlet SC
USA
1093 Posts

Posted - May 14 2022 :  07:38:01 AM  Show Profile
Denise I love rocking chairs on a front porch to watch the world go by. Whether it’s cars, people or animals. In my opinion, a porch, deck or gazebo is a very essential part of a house!

Farm Girl #3677
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9090 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9090 Posts

Posted - May 14 2022 :  10:17:05 AM  Show Profile
Sara,
I guess we sit most of the time on the front porch. When the kids are here or
company its the back deck. We have huge trees all around the house so both places are
great in the summer.
Debbie, so glad you are Happy in your new house.
Nancy Jo

NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - May 14 2022 :  10:47:29 AM  Show Profile
Nancy Jo, enjoy sitting on your front porch. It's nice you have the deck when your children visit. I have a lot of shade too. Good for sitting but not so much for gardening.

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2972 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2972 Posts

Posted - May 14 2022 :  1:04:50 PM  Show Profile
You're right Debbie - I do love to sit in the barn with the cows or new born calves. You have to watch sitting with the older ones - they get ornery and are used to me bringing them their milk so it's not such a relaxing experience LOL! I really prefer to walk instead of sit though. It's so relaxing for me to walk through the pasture when the cows are grazing or when I'm walking the fence row and woods for wild herbs or berries. I see and hear a lot of critters - besides the cows LOL! It's very calming and peaceful for me.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - May 14 2022 :  6:47:10 PM  Show Profile
I like to sit on my porch in the early mornings after chores, with my coffee. It is so noisy now with all the birds. I really like it when I have cows in the field that my porch faces. So fun to just sit and watch them, and watch the calves play. My happy place for sure.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - May 16 2022 :  2:07:14 PM  Show Profile
Winnie, most definitely! It’s almost like they have a way of calming you and taking away any stress you have. It’s funny how I find myself on the most stressful days wanting to head out for calf snuggles over anything else. They are natures real stress reliever, anti anxiety and anti depressants!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16960 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16960 Posts

Posted - May 18 2022 :  10:37:05 PM  Show Profile
I luv sitting outside,, unfortunately, the winds are horrendous,, uugh! so it will be a few more weeks before I can sit outside and enjoy the view.
So for now,, I'll watch the Quail, Doves, Robbins, Hummers and other visiting birds from my kitchen window.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - May 19 2022 :  07:32:11 AM  Show Profile
Sara, your sitting places sound lovely. I too have a favourite spot ... the left corner of my couch. When I sit there I feel so at peace.

I never get tired of the view. I don't know, I think it's because I have everything that I love in front of me, my books, quilts, Legos, photographs, knitting (I should clean that mess on the floor lol) the AC remote ... there's a serenity that I feel when I'm sitting there. I do a lot of hand work there, knit, English Paper piece, embroidery ... reading. I guess I've conditioned myself to relax in that spot! lol During stressful times it's like "where's my couch?" LOL

Right now it is a tad to cold to sit out, but I have a back porch that I like to sit. Even bought a parasol ... Shade is such a beautiful thing.

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http:www.carolesquiltingetc.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - May 19 2022 :  08:02:19 AM  Show Profile
Heather, peace is where you find it, whether it's sitting on a porch or walking the fence rows.

Michele, morning coffee on the porch watching your cows has got to be a blessing. Before I moved to Paris there was 18 acres across from my front yard. Some years I could watch the young colts play and other years it would be sheep. So restful to sit and watch them.

Grace, hope the wind dies down soon so you can join us in sitting and dreaming.

Carole, your corner of the sofa sounds like a place for you to settle in and enjoy. Love your view. You do such wonderful handwork.

When I'm inside my favorite place to sit is my comfy rocker across from the window that looks out on my front porch. A couple of years ago I had my porch ceiling painted blue and when I am having a bad day I sit and look out my window. From the blue porch ceiling to the big oak tree across the street I find peace and joy in all I see.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Garden Gate: Previous Topic Places to Sit to Let Your Mind Wander or Dream Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page