Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - May 29 2022 :  3:48:59 PM  Show Profile
IOE or OE,, either way,,, that's Me!

IOE = idiot operator error
OE = operator error..

Awhile back I was a fussin' & a cussin' about my Embroidery machine not working,, making noises and not stitching correctly... Then,,, my Husqvarna sewing machine was acting up!!!
Short story,, I was about ready to throw both out the window!

I walked away from both for a month (thank goodness I have other machines to fall back on)..
Then the other day I decided to give it another try with the embroidery machine ,, pulled the detachable arm off, took everything to my kitchen counter to monkey around with,, re-attached the arm,, turned on the machine... no clunking sound,, could it be?? then I stitched up a pattern.. OMG!!! Works!
I must have some how bumped or did not snap the arm in correctly and that is why it was not stitching up correctly and making a clunking sound...

As for the Husqvarna,, I picked Jean's brain and she suggested a shop in Spokane Valley that she has had a good relationship with..
sew, I drove over to the valley and dropped it off..
It will be 2 MONTHS before I get it back! and $119 for a basic cleaning/tun-up,, if there is more involved, they will call me... and that is when I will have to decide if it is worth it... it's a 15 year old machine....

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4086 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4086 Posts

Posted - May 29 2022 :  4:55:10 PM  Show Profile
Happiness is a sewing machine that works. lol Glad your getting yours going again. I have a new to me Phaff, i think that is how you spell it. It is an older one and I absolutely love it. My aunt calls it the work horse and it is. Happy sewing Grace.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - May 29 2022 :  5:09:39 PM  Show Profile
The shop I bought my newer Bernina charges over $100 for basic clean and adjust and also takes over 2 months. Fortunately I discovered a wonderful OSMG who charges less, does a better job, and has it back in less than 2 weeks.
With a old machine parts availability is a problem. My elderly 1970 Bernina developed a cracked gear and a replacement couldn't be found anywhere. On newer computerized machines the motherboard is frequently a problem. Of course the shop will encourage you to buy a new machine.

Judith

7932 FGOTM 6/21
I'm old and I do wear purple
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
Sharpshooter/Schoolmarm

763 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
763 Posts

Posted - May 29 2022 :  5:25:49 PM  Show Profile
That is great news, Grace! Too bad they’re going to be so long getting your machine taken care of. I always feel like something is missing when I have to leave mine to get it serviced.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl of the Year

"Well behaved women seldom make history"....Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16962 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16962 Posts

Posted - May 29 2022 :  6:21:44 PM  Show Profile
Windy, nearly all pre-mid 1960 brands of sewing machine were good dependable machines.. Pfaff, Elna(my mom's), Viking, Bernina, White and Singer, along with other lesser known machines where for the most part, work horses.. after the mid- 1960's, Singer came up with the Futura,. Lighter in weight, added stitches and plastic parts. Which was a horrible machine.
The older machines had metal parts, gears, shaft etc. But back then, every neighborhood had 'appliance' repairman to work on machines, toasters, irons, etc.
Now everything is Uber mass produced, with a short life span.
Things like coffee makers, toasters, microwave,irons etc now have an average have only a 4 year life span.
Yep, planned obsolescence!

I think that is why the older seeing machines are so coveted, like Singer 221, 301, 401, and 501, Rocketer..
But, unfortunately the older machines are harder (& more expensive) to come by, even for parts.
Finding a in decent shape Feather Weight is getting crazy expensive,, I see them listed for anywhere $400 to 500... Yikes!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2656 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2656 Posts

Posted - May 29 2022 :  6:29:49 PM  Show Profile
The break did wonders for your relationship with your embroidery machine, Grace! They say if something frustrates you that much, walk away, cool down and then come back to it. Time heals all wounds, so they say! So happy to hear it's working. I have the same kind of love / hate relationship with my basic little sewing machine, nothing fancy, but, it sure encourages some colorful speach at times, too! Can't wait to see more of your sewing and embroidery creations, Grace!

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - May 30 2022 :  10:52:50 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I have lots of vintage machines: two 221s, two 301s, and one 401 in a cabinet. Also have 2 Singer 128s, a Franklin treadle, Wilcox and Gibbs treadle, Jones handcrank, another hand crank, and a Singer pinker. All great machines. I really still want a 222.
Then there are my newer machines; I have to get their model numbers.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015 and April 2017

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."

Edited by - quiltee on May 30 2022 12:05:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - May 30 2022 :  11:51:59 AM  Show Profile
I have two 201s (one hand crank, one treadle), three 221s, one 222, one 301, and a 500 rocketeer. Also a few 15s , a 27, 28, 66, and 2 99s (one electric, one hand crank). DH has a model 29 leather machine. Singer made great machines up to about 1960. Probably the best one was the model 15 or maybe the 201. If you find one of those at a yard sale or thrift shop it is probably a good investment.

Judith

7932 FGOTM 6/21
I'm old and I do wear purple
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - May 31 2022 :  10:39:25 AM  Show Profile
Grace , glad to hear you solved at least one machine issue and now can return to using it and having fun again! It is frustrating to get something and then have it not work and frustrate you every time you sit down to a project. Let us know how your other machine, currently in the shop, turns out after it is fixed. Gosh, I hear all these machine numbers and have no idea what these collections look like! I have one machine: my Mom's 1957 Singer. It still works pretty good but needs a good cleaning. There is nobody around here who has a lead on where to get it done. It has always been in this wooden enclosure too so not sure if it even comes out. I have never seen it out of holder.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2022 :  1:34:16 PM  Show Profile
I totally understand the frustration and needing to walk away. I do this often. I’m glad you were able to fix one machine and hopefully the second one will be a quick and easy fix. Thank goodness you have other machines to hold you over until it’s fixed.

Krista
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic IOE or OE? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page