Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 **MaryJanesFarm Products & Merchandise
 Chill Over
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author **MaryJanesFarm Products & Merchandise: Previous Topic Chill Over Next Topic  

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22896 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22896 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  09:45:22 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
During a miscarried pregnancy about 3 years ago I had a bad reaction to pork and ever since then I haven’t been able to stomach it. I can’t even eat Jell-O because of the pork gelatin used in it! I even called the Jell-O Company to verify that they used pork to get the gelatin because I couldn’t figure out why I was getting migraines every time I tried to eat Jell-O.

So I was wondering if anyone has tried the Chill-Over. I am really excited about this alternative but I haven’t tried it yet. I am seriously considering ordering the bulk box from MJF though since it is only $17.

Anyone have any Chill-Over recipes they would like to share?

Alee

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  11:12:56 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Alee! I really like the Chill-Over powder - especially in recipes with chocolate! Also, if you have the Farm Kitchen issue of the MJF magazine, you'll find some wonderful recipes in there, too.

Enjoy!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"All through the long winter, I dream of my garden. On the first day of spring, I dig my fingers deep into the soft earth. I can feel its energy, and my spirits soar..." - Helen Hayes
Go to Top of Page

EagleNest
True Blue Farmgirl

192 Posts

Mary
Yakima WA
192 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  10:49:22 PM  Show Profile
Alee, you can't beat Chill Over. I like the chocolate recipes too. I've been using the chocolate as pie fillings, delicious. The fruit chillovers are great too. You can use any liquid you want. One really great things is they do not melt in the heat.
Mary

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Gal 5:22
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2007 :  06:56:07 AM  Show Profile
Alee,
Chill Over powder is great stuff, I made Brown Sugar and Vanilla Chillover on page 165 of the Farm Kitchen issue....
YUM!
I have also made the key lime pie from "MaryJane's Idea Book" page 113
I have made it 2 or 3 times and everyone loves it.
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22896 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22896 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  9:54:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I got some Chill-Over powder today! I am in love! It is the first time in 3 years that I have had a gelatin that did not give me a migraine!

Fiance and I decided to experiment since you can flavor the Chill-Over with any liquid. I made a hot cocoa and put a little peppermint extract in it. We had chocolate mint Chill-Over!

One thing I was wondering about is cooking with it. I know that chicken stock tastes/has a better mouth-feel than chicken broth because of the natural gelatin in it. I wonder if Chill-Over can be used to make a chicken broth have a chicken stock mouth-feel.

Anyone tried this?

I shall experiment and let you know...

Ciao

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  10:29:49 PM  Show Profile
Okay, Alee - I'm now curious about the chicken stock issue - I've never tried it...but it would be great if it worked! Let us know!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"All through the long winter, I dream of my garden. On the first day of spring, I dig my fingers deep into the soft earth. I can feel its energy, and my spirits soar..." - Helen Hayes
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22896 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22896 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2007 :  09:08:16 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Libbie- I should be doing my weekly cooking extravaganza with in the next day or so- I will keep everyone posted!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2007 :  09:43:53 AM  Show Profile
I don't have the chill over powder but I do have the agar-agar which is the same as her chill over I think. I'm just used to using the japanese agar-agar powder probably because of my mom.

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22896 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22896 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2007 :  2:08:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Ladies-

Just another thought as I am playing with the Chill-Over powder in my cooking...

I can't remember where it was that I read this, but MaryJane has a tip for using her Chill-Over powder: You can put it in a salt or pepper shaker so that as you add it to the liquid you won't get clumps. I know she mentioned this somewhere. I just can't remember if it was on one of the forums or in one of the magazines.

I found a cute mini mason jar with a handle on it for $3 in one stall of a local antique market and in another stall found a lid to fid in a miscellaneous pile for $1. It seems to work perfectly so far!

Ciao

Alee
Go to Top of Page

CutiePatootieFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

75 Posts

Tess
Vancouver WA
USA
75 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2007 :  12:27:35 PM  Show Profile
Hi Alee!

I'm glad you're having so much fun with the ChillOver Powder! I found the article you were thinking of (the one about the salt shaker). It's in Artists In Aprons (magazine #9) on page 137 at the very bottom.

Enjoy!

Theresa Paul
MaryJanesFarm
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22896 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22896 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2007 :  1:51:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Theresa-

Thanks so much for sparking my memory!

Also I did add some of the Chill-Over powder to my stew and it works beautifully to give that mouth-feel of having used stock instead of broth. As far as I am concerned- my kitchen is never going to be without it again.

Now I want to go buy a turkey so I can see how it does in gravy :)

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2007 :  10:48:10 AM  Show Profile
I have a question about using the Chillover powder. Today I made the Chocolate Cayenne Chillover that's in the Farm Kitchen magazine. I was going along great, made the chocolate part, and set it aside to cool. I thought it would take longer to cool, so I ate a quick lunch, then when I went to check it, it had already solidified in the pot, so I had to beat it and break it up as best I could. I went ahead with the recipe, can't waste those kind of ingredients, and I have a dessert that will probably taste great tonight, but has small chunks of chocolate base throughout that didn't quite mix in.

Has anyone ever warmed it up again, if it sets in the pot before you get to fold it into the whipped cream? I didn't know if this would alter it or not.

Lori
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22896 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22896 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2007 :  2:11:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I have never tried re-heating it. I guess you could take a really small sample and try to experiment with it. Let us know how it goes!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Bella Food Stylist
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Julie
Portland OR
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2007 :  10:11:14 AM  Show Profile
Canadian farmgirl and Alee, you sure can reheat till melted, just don't recook. Your right Lori, it does cool quickly, so don't leave that poor fellow alone. It's like when I toast in the oven, I can't take my hand off the door handle or it will burn!

I love the Chocolate Cayenne Chillover! It is great with a few shortbread cookies on the side.

julie

It's love, not time, that heals all wounds.
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2011 :  11:23:48 AM  Show Profile
Here is a link to a recipe we put together - http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/2011/07/chillover-blueberry-sherbet.html

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  10:27:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Can chill over powder be used in preserves? I have never tried it and would like to know what it can be used for. Thanks

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22896 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22896 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  11:48:36 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Chillover® Strawberry Jam

2 lbs. strawberries, washed, hulled and crushed
to yield 4 cups crushed berries
2 cups organic cane sugar
2 packets MaryJane's Chillover® Powder

1. Combine crushed strawberries and sugar in a large pot. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar.
2. Sprinkle and stir Chillover Powder into liquid and boil rapidly for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
3. Remove from heat and can in sterile jars (refer to a canning manual for complete canning instructions).

Chillover® Raspberry Jam
Substitute raspberries for strawberries.

Chillover® Blackberry Jam
Substitute blackberries for strawberries.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Acelady02
True Blue Farmgirl

1266 Posts

Penny
Washington GA
USA
1266 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2011 :  12:16:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Acelady02 an AOL message  Send Acelady02 a Yahoo! Message
Thank you Alee, do you know if you can use pears? I know they take longer to cook because they can be firmer than berries.

(((((Hugs All)))))Penny

Farmgirl Sister #3343

God gives Miracles to those who Believe, Courage to those with Faith, Hope to those who Dream, Love to those who Accept, & Forgiveness to those who Ask...
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2011 :  3:32:31 PM  Show Profile
Just made (12) 4 oz jars of Strawberry jam using this recipe...looks/smells and tastes delicious! Very excited that you only need 1/2 the sugar using the chillover powder compared to a "regular" recipe that calls for 4 cups sugar. This is my first year canning, and I am planning on giving my homemade goods for Christmas gifts. Thanks for the recipe Alee!
Smiles,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  1:51:00 PM  Show Profile
Have you ever used the ChillOver for marshmallows?

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22896 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22896 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2011 :  5:24:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh yes! It is one of our favorite recipes!! They taste SOO good! Much much better than those look a likes that you can buy in the store that say "Jet puffed"

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  7:10:44 PM  Show Profile
Is the recipe in the cookbook or farm kitchen?

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22896 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22896 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2011 :  7:46:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I believe it is originally in the Ideabook but I think it is also in the Farm Kitchen magazine. I will have to check.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2011 :  5:08:03 PM  Show Profile
I missed it if it's in the ideabook...

Go to Top of Page
  **MaryJanesFarm Products & Merchandise: Previous Topic Chill Over Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page