Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Who all owns a Singer Feather Weight?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Who all owns a Singer Feather Weight? Next Topic  

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2022 :  10:06:02 AM  Show Profile
Ok ladies, raise your hand if you own a Singer Feather Weight sewing machine!!

What do you love most about it?

Is it your daily sewer?

What was the last thing you recently sewed with it?

I sewed a lap quilt

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2022 :  10:32:57 AM  Show Profile
Yep. I have two. One I bought for myself 100 years ago in San Francisco. The other one I is a white one that I snagged for $100 in Elko, Nevada a few years back. The last things I made were a couple of the mini-Dresden plate spool coasters. One or the other of these Featherweights has always been my "go to" machine to take to classes and/or retreats that didn't involve fancy stitching. I did have three, the third one was given to me by a friend who was cleaning out an old storage garage in New Orleans. I ended up giving it to a gal pal who helped me with the quilt retreats I use to put on in Nevada. Great little machines. When the fancy ones fail, pull out the reliable little Featherweight.

"However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at."
. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2022 :  12:06:21 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Regarding vintage sewing machines, I have 2 featherweights, 2 singer 301 (1 with the table and 1 by itself), a 401A in a cabinet, 2 Treadles (Franklin and Wilcox & Gibbs), 2 Singer 128, 2 hand cranks (one is a Jones), a Singer Pinker, 3 older child machines, another older Singer, and a Gimbel. My collection of newer machines includes a Pfaff that I wore out, a Singer purchased at Walmart, 2 sergers, a Brother 4" embroidery/sewing machine, and a Janome that was my cousin's. That's 23 machines. I'll look to make sure I haven't left one out. LOL!

I do most of my sewing on one or the other of the featherweights. I have, however, just rearranged my sewing/crafting room to put the 301 with table and the 401A and cabinet where I can use them. I guess I can then have 4 or 5 machines available to sew different projects on. We just got all the recommended oils and my husband is going to clean the 401A that badly needs cleaning.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015 and April 2017

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."

Edited by - quiltee on Jun 28 2022 3:50:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2022 :  2:19:20 PM  Show Profile
I have 2 Featherweights 2 301's one is turquois 2 hand crank and a treadle, A Brother, a White, a New Home, a Viking and a Handyquilter long arm. 2 baby lock Serger's. and 2 others That I have forgot what they are.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
True Blue Farmgirl

1284 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
1284 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2022 :  2:39:44 PM  Show Profile
OMG Diana, do you have room for any furniture in your house? I bet you are a good customer at the Featherweight shop down the road from Orofino. I haven't been there yet but am dying to go. You know I am just up the mountain in Deary from you. We should get together sometime -- maybe meet for lunch at the Best Western there on the river. I love that place.
Which Viking do you have? Mine is the Brilliance 80 and I love it.
jean

"However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at."
. . . .Stephen Hawking
Go to Top of Page

atkinst2
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Theresa
Canal Winchester OH
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2022 :  2:56:47 PM  Show Profile
I have a featherweight. Don't know which one right now but I know it was a 1953 model

There is never a road so long that there isn't a curve in it.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2022 :  5:35:05 PM  Show Profile
I don't have one..........tears. I am enjoying reading about yours though. I am on the look out for one, and my mother in law has one. My mom, 2 sisters and my aunt all have one.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2991 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2991 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2022 :  7:13:33 PM  Show Profile
I'm with you Michele LOL! One day....

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1408 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1408 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2022 :  7:22:30 PM  Show Profile
I’m joining the “I don't have one but I wish I did” club!! Guess I’d better keep my eye out. :)

Karen :)
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2022 :  8:07:21 PM  Show Profile
JeanP I Have been there lots. There is a fabric store to die for about a mile away. It is an amazing business they do 90% thru mail. One thing they have and I highly suggest everyone with a Featherweight gets is an LED light blub. I have so many burns from the old style. I am driving a Viking Opal right now and love it. It has so many feature's that I use for all my quilting that I really love it.

I Have way to much room in my house for all of these machines but just cant say no when some one says hey I'm getting rid of a machine ya want it.

We should meet for lunch
I am trying to get to Deary again for the weaving store. I have a 36 in Ashford Ridged Heddle Loom.
And an LK 150 Knitting machine.

To many toys!!!!

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2022 :  8:18:43 PM  Show Profile
Diana,, yep! me too! I can't tell you how many times I have touched the light/lamp while reaching to lift up the lever...

One bit of advice I got years ago from a friend,, when taking your FW to a class,,anbd you leave the room for lunch, take your bobbin case
with you.. because they are bloody expensive to replace.!!!

As for the 'Feather weight Store in Kooskia(sp).. it's on my bucket list!

>^..^<
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2022 :  8:29:08 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Yes, I bought the LED lights. So much cooler and safer.

WOW! At retreats or classes I've never had someone steal my bobbin case, but yes, they are expensive. And I've been told the "new" retro-fit cases do not fit the old machines as well and sometimes can cause problems.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2022 :  5:38:51 PM  Show Profile
Linda,, sad to think someone would pilfer someone else bobbing case,,, but apparently it does happen..
The shop owner who services my FW said he has sold quite a few bobbin cases to ladies, whose have disappeared at events.

>^..^<
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2022 :  5:49:05 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Too bad some people are unscrupulous!

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919

Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2022 :  11:48:47 AM  Show Profile
I have a Featherweight but not sure on model. I'll look it up. I love it for sewing quilt blocks together. Thanks for the heads up on bobbin cases. It's sad that someone would even do this and that we have to watch for it.

Since LED light was mentioned, I am going to check into getting one.

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Who all owns a Singer Feather Weight? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page