Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2022 :  1:23:13 PM  Show Profile
It has been awhile since I have sponsored a giveaway so I thought July would be a good time to offer one. This swap will have Americana colors and stuff you can enjoy anytime this this summer. If you would like to put your name in the basket, please leave me a post about something you love about the summertime in general. It can be an old memory or something you do currently. We all live in different states so summertime can be quite different depending on where you live. I am curious about what you enjoy doing based on where you live.

I hope you will join in the fun with me!!

I am excited to say that Vanessa, AudraRose, is our winner of the Summer giveaway! Congratulations Vanessa and I have your address on file and will get this package out today!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018

Edited by - Red Tractor Girl on Jul 15 2022 09:42:35 AM

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2022 :  1:29:11 PM  Show Profile
I thought I would start this off. I live in northern Florida in the middle about 1.5 hours south of the Georgia border. Summers are long and hot down here and we specialize in mosquitoes!! LOL!! I love simple gatherings where you make burgers on the grill and eat cold watermelon slices and peach cobbler. I also enjoy early mornings on my back porch with a cup of coffee and watch the many birds at our feeders. Florida has many birds that are regular residents and then those who migrate down here like the Summer Tanagers. It is always fun to welcome them back for a few months too. July is also my birthday month so I enjoy celebrating another new year!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2022 :  1:44:25 PM  Show Profile
Winnie as you know summer is my least favorite time of the year. But and it seems like there is always a but, there are a few good things I can say about the hot months of summer in Texas. I enjoy either frying or making okra gumbo with the okra growing in galvanized tubs. The zinnias are beautiful this year and they make beautiful cut flowers for the house. When it's cool enough I like to sit out on the side porch or my Yellow Rose Cottage's porch. Both are good places to drink iced tea; dream; and let the world go by.

Thanks, Winnie, for hosting this fun giveaway. Another thing I like about summer is the Farmgirls that bring a little fun and joy to help me through it.

Hugs, Sara "FarmGirl Sister" #6034 Aug 2014
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6391 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6391 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2022 :  3:36:26 PM  Show Profile
I love summertime as it is July 4th and my birthday month. Summer stands for America to me that is why I love it!
I love red/white and blue all things summer Americana!!

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
With Colorado on My Mind
Farmgirl of the Month September 2012 and February 2018
“My altars are My Mountains
and the Ocean.” Lord Byron”

When I am Old I Shall Wear Purple !!

Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2654 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2654 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2022 :  4:34:30 PM  Show Profile
Summer is my favorite time of year, hands down. We live in Central Oregon, nearly smack dab in the middle of the state. We are high desert so we have our snow covered cascade range to the west and our Smith Rock, Ochoco adn Blues to the East. We have some magnificent sunrises and sunsets that still take my breath away after living here for 16 years. I adore the warmth and long days. I love to plant my garden and watch it grow, to cop a squate with my fur baby in the grass and read a book or favorite magazine with my sweet tea and straw hat. As a family, we love to camp, roast smores and have outdoor movie nights in our back yard with family and friends. We love heading up to our Mt. Bachelor wilderness to camp, fish, hike and float the lakes. Some areas are up to 7000 feet in elevation! Each summer we also head Hood River, Oregon to pick veggies, corn, apples, pears, plums what ever is in season at the time we go and find a place to picnic for the day. We also live about 3-4 hours from the coast, and usually take an annual beach trip during the summer to a different beach town each time for something new, tour the local lighthouse and beach comb. We truly love where we live!

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2196 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2196 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2022 :  5:10:52 PM  Show Profile
When my sister Marie and I were young, mom and dad would take us to visit our grandparents in North Dakota. Our dad's parents lived on a farm near Park River. We'd have fun helping grandma in her garden, gathering eggs, and were probably nuisances to our uncle. My mom's father was a doctor at the State School in Grafton (those were the days when handicapped people were in institutions). My grandmother there would order cookies from the school kitchens and we would play with the old paper dolls from my mom and aunt. I still remember the smell of coffee and onions in her home. One year we were visiting on my birthday and I got a cake with plastic ballerinas on it.
I loved them both. There are times I see their influence in the things I do today.

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2022 :  7:09:17 PM  Show Profile
I love reading everyone’s memories!! It’s so wonderful to reflect on the things we love!! I love the relaxed state of living that summer brings. Dinner time is later (and tastier since some of the food is fresh from the garden), the sun shines well into the evening hours, people are out and about. A favorite activity for me is grab a book and lay in the hammock…I also love watching the birds and squirrels too!!

Karen :)
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16958 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16958 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2022 :  11:21:34 PM  Show Profile
I am more a Autumn person truth be told,, but one of the things I do like about Summer is sitting out on the back porch, early in the morning, cup of coffee in my hand, watching the sun rise and the Meadow Larks singing their songs,, as well as the Quail running around doing what Quails do best.. being silly!
I like to enjoy the calm before the heat sets in.
I also like picking the 1st fresh ruby red strawberries in my garden... hmmm, maybe I do like Summer???

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2022 :  09:40:39 AM  Show Profile
Oh these memories are wonderful as they show the limits and the joys that each geographic region delivers every Summer! I am getting a little snapshot of this big country which has always been interesting to me. What and how people structure their lives based on weather and other geographic limits shows the creativity and passions we all share. Because Florida summers last from June through October, I consider it my "Winter" when the weather is yucky and you are more or less stuck inside. Even though Fall is my favorite season, it doesn't usually show itself until late November when the rest of the country has Christmas on their mind!! LOL!! We finally get our beautiful fall leaves on the deciduous trees that live here when the rest of you are putting up your Christmas trees and playing Christmas carols! I had so much trouble getting rid of my cornstalks and pumpkins on our back porch area that I just sort of added some greenery and pinecones to the existing fall scene. I think it was finally February before those cornstalks had mildewed and fallen apart that I could part with them. Most of the pumpkins were chewed on or rotted by March. I take fall seriously at my house!! LOL!!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2022 :  09:46:59 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Summertime is not my top favorite season, but it is a good time for lemonade, watermelon, and seeing all the pretty birds at our feeders. We like cooking out on the pellet grill and enjoying some yard games in the evening. Temperatures in Texas, and in Illinois where I grew up, are too hot! Like Grace, Fall is my favorite time because we can have the windows open for a nice cool breeze and it is a great time for traveling.

Thank you for offering a swap, Winnie.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015 and April 2017

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1744 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1744 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2022 :  10:24:10 AM  Show Profile
Summer is about the 4th and fireworks and picnics. Love farmers markets and outdoor events. Do not like mosquitoes and other bugs. Love sitting on deck in the evening and watching lightning bugs.

Farmgirl friends are fun.
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2022 :  12:35:17 PM  Show Profile
I do not like summer here in the Central Valley. I can't take heat well and it is always hot. I can't go outside much so I'm a prisoner in my air-conditioned house. Hot weather here runs from May to halfway thru October. However I grew up in Berkeley where 80 degrees is a hot day and summers were so much fun. Playing hide-n-seek and kick the can till dark with the other 28 kids on the block, vacations at Russian River in the cabin where we had to hang out a sign for the iceman and my lost tooth fell down a knothole in the floor and I was so afraid the tooth fairy wouldn't come (she did!), Dad renting a bike and giving me a ride on the handlebars. Summer was my favorite season back then.

Judith

7932 FGOTM 6/21
I'm old and I do wear purple
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9090 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9090 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2022 :  1:24:45 PM  Show Profile
Lets see? I think sitting on our front porch at the farm when I was a little one, and watching
All of our Maple trees and elms blowing in the wind.
Some times as happy as I'm now I want to go home.
Nancy Jo

NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9203 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9203 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2022 :  1:45:52 PM  Show Profile
As you know Winnie, I love Americana! My favorite part of the summer when I was young was picnics and roasting marshmallows, swimming in the lake and playing baseball and no school! Those are all still favorites and even no school because now I get to spend lots of time with my grandchildren. We do splashpads instead of the lake but that is about all that has changed!
What a sweet thing to do!

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6625 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6625 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2022 :  3:08:17 PM  Show Profile
Winnie, please don’t add my name to the drawing, but I wanted to share something about summer in Utah. We celebrate the 4th of July here as well, but Utah also has Pioneer Day that’s celebrated on the 24th of July. This day is actually viewed as a holiday here and many people don’t work that day. Pioneer Day was created for religious purposes, but it’s celebrated with rodeos (called The days of ‘47), parades, and fireworks. Utah is only allowed to light fireworks from July 2 to July 5 and then from July 22- July 25. It’s nice to be able to see fireworks at two times this month. I like summer because we get a bonus holiday.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2022 :  4:08:28 PM  Show Profile
Marlene, I love that you can watch the lightning bugs. It’s so on my bucket list. I have never seen one except on videos. :)

Go to Top of Page

Wanda Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

1093 Posts

Wanda
Murrells Inlet SC
USA
1093 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2022 :  5:39:29 PM  Show Profile
Y’all are bringing back such fun memories from my childhood as well. I loved those simple summer days when after supper, everyone retreated to the yard. Under the giant oak tree in our yard it was always cooler than staying in the house( no AC ) The adults would drink their sweet tea and catch up on the latest happenings in each other’s life while the kids played. We had old mayonnaise or pickle jars with holes punched into the top lid so we could catch the lightning bugs. It was always a race to see who would catch the most bugs, but would then release them before going in to bed. Also, some nights we would play a scary game with the bats flying around. We would wrap up a rock in a wad of crumpled aluminum foil, place it in the toe of one of my brother’s tube socks. We would then take turns spinning and throwing it up in the air while chanting “woolly bat, woolly bat, come and get your woolly hat!” The bat would dive down after it and we would all run away squealing and laughing. The adults would always say “Alright, it’s not going to be funny when that bat gets in somebody’s hair.” Did anyone else play this game? Thanks for taking me back to simpler times.

A day hemmed in prayer is less likely to unravel.

Farm Girl #3677
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2122 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2122 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2022 :  6:51:49 PM  Show Profile
When I was 9 we went to Oklahoma to visit my grandparents. Grandpa introduced me to fireflies. Ever since then I wished we had them here in California. I guess they don't fly high enough to make it over the Rockies and Sierras.

Judith

7932 FGOTM 6/21
I'm old and I do wear purple
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2972 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2972 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2022 :  08:59:06 AM  Show Profile
Karen - WHAT?!?!? You've never seen a real lightning bug????? Add it as another reason to visit LOL!

Even before I read Karen's post I was going to say for me summer is lightning bugs. Even all grown up I get so excited when I spot the first one. I used to run around as a kid and catch a bunch of them. Now I really enjoy just watching them all in the yard and fields. There's something magical about them :) It's not my favorite thing, but another thing that is summer for me is baling straw. I LOVE when the wheat fields turn yellow. It's so pretty to see. I hate how itchy the chaff makes you LOL! The wheat field is getting cut this afternoon and straw baling will start tomorrow - yup, summer is here!

Wanda - I've never heard of that game but I always enjoy seeing the bats at night. I never can find where they hide during the day. I want to see if they really do sleep upside down LOL!

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

StaceyH
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Stacey
Paradise Nova Scotia
Canada
8 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2022 :  10:16:33 AM  Show Profile
Like a few of the others, autumn is definitely my favourite season because I just can't get enough of the beautiful leaves where I live on the east coast of Canada.

I have also lived for many years in Texas, so like you @YellowRose, I agree that the hot months of summer are just no fun there. I spent those months inside in the AC.

One of my favourite memories of summer growing up was always Canada Day (July 1). My family would start the day with a community pancake breakfast and there would be a parade. On hot days we'd usually end up going for a swim, and then have strawberry shortcake because it was also my birthday. To top off an already great day, we'd go to the fireworks. I always thought I was pretty lucky to have been born on the holiday so I could spend it with my friends and family and have the whole country celebrating!

Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6391 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6391 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2022 :  10:29:01 AM  Show Profile
I love everyone’s summer memories, sadly I have very few but I do remember trying to catch lightning bugs in the summer.
Thank y’all for sharing your wonderful summer memories.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
With Colorado on My Mind
Farmgirl of the Month September 2012 and February 2018
“My altars are My Mountains
and the Ocean.” Lord Byron”

When I am Old I Shall Wear Purple !!

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2022 :  12:50:32 PM  Show Profile
Well, add me to the list of those catching fireflies in a jar at night. We had them in Virginia where I lived. But I don't see them down here but maybe it is because I live in the city? Not sure.
Stacey, thanks for sharing your Canada Day traditions for July 1. Starting the day with a community pancake breakfast sounds wonderful. Of course, I bet those pancakes come with Canadian Maple Syrup too. Yum!

These are all great stories of your summer traditions. I never knew about some of the details shared here by all of you. Thanks everyone for sharing!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2972 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2972 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2022 :  1:23:52 PM  Show Profile
Happy Birthday Stacey!!!

I thought of another summer memory and was curious if anyone else did this: Every summer my Grandma would have a giant tupperware bowl in her fridge filled with cucumbers and onions (as a kid I'd eat the cucumbers and pick out all the onion LOL) they were floating in a mixture of vinegar, water, and sugar. She would adjust the taste and refill as needed. I've tried to do it but it never tastes like Grandma's did. There was no recipe, just what she thought it needed :)

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2022 :  7:42:38 PM  Show Profile
Stacey, Happy Birthday!!! Fireworks for your birthday! :)

Heather, See!! I knew I needed to visit! Check your calendar, girl! :)

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9203 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9203 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2022 :  04:46:26 AM  Show Profile
Wanda Sue, I've never heard of that game but I remember being told the bats would get tangled in our hair if we didn't cover our heads!

Heather, bats do indeed hang upside down to sleep. Once when I was visiting my parents there was a bat in my bedroom hanging on the curtain rod. I had put my daughter to bed and later had gone up to go to bed myself. I turned the light on and there he was. I picked up my daughter and went downstairs to tell my dad. He and one of the neighbors who was there visiting went up and caught it and took it out. Come to find out, much later, they had bats living in the attic.

Happy belated birthday Stacey! And welcome to the farm!

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jul 03 2022 04:48:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

StaceyH
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Stacey
Paradise Nova Scotia
Canada
8 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2022 :  07:26:08 AM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone for the welcome and birthday wishes!

Yep, Red Tractor Girl the pancakes definitely came with Canadian Maple syrup :-)

I'm also another that caught fireflies in a jar but these days they come into our house! We have had to rescue two from our bedroom this summer already. It's neat, we'll turn off the lamps and see one flashing around the room. We also like to watch them out the bedroom window before going to sleep but we don't need them in the house. :-)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Summer Giveaway!! WINNER!! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page