YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2022 :  06:21:55 AM  Show Profile
I feed the birds on the ground in my backyard for two reasons. One is I want to attract the ground feeders - cardinals, brown thrashers, and blue jays. Two there are so many squirrels that tear up feeders that I just gave up on having feeders and now I feed enough on the ground for birds and the pesty squirrels. This morning the first feeder was the red headed woodpecker that I see on my neighbor's trees. After he left a pair of blue jays came followed by three young blue jays. Then several cardinals showed up. So much color this morning.

Hugs, Sara "FarmGirl Sister" #6034 Aug 2014
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2022 :  12:20:52 PM  Show Profile
Sara, all those beautiful birds would be wonderful to watch. All I have at the moment is a bunch of sparrows. Last year I had a red-winged blackbird. It hasn't returned this year, but he sure is pretty. I'm holding out hope he will return next year and bring some friends.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1408 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1408 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2022 :  6:21:59 PM  Show Profile
I love watching the birds on our feeders. :) You are lucky to have such colorful birds. We do have a few but it’s mostly chickadees, juncoes, and finches. Occasionally we will see a gold finch. The male finches have beautiful red or orange markings.

Karen :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9234 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9234 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2022 :  02:27:58 AM  Show Profile
We see lots of cardinals, we also have a few blue Jay's, some goldfinch, loads of robin's and then there wrens and towards the end of this month and through fall we will many crows and ravens. I love watching them all.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/

Edited by - levisgrammy on Aug 04 2022 02:28:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2022 :  05:21:05 AM  Show Profile
I find it interesting that y'all see birds I have never seen except in books. The only bird in the finch family I have seen is the scissortail which I don't see in Paris because they prefer fields and pasturelands. I do see a lot of wrens and sparrows.

Edited by - YellowRose on Aug 04 2022 05:31:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2022 :  10:36:35 AM  Show Profile
We love our backyard feathered friends! Our frequent visitors are, Cardinals, Bluebirds, Downy Woodpecker, titmouse, Chickadee, Carolina Wrens, House finch, Bluejay, Hummingbirds, Brown Thrasher, Mourning Doves, and of course my Crow family. We are central station for these friends and they are here every day. Right now we are seeing the newest Bluebird fledglings coming to the feeders and begging for the parent to feed it. Sometimes they do but often they don't. It is like, here is the food and you can now eat it by yourself. We also have an infrequent visit from the male and female Summer Tanager. They are beautiful and this is the third year they have returned to our backyard.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1408 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1408 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2022 :  6:51:17 PM  Show Profile
You have quite the variety, Winnie!! :). We had some crow fledglings this year. First time!! I am thrilled that they feel that our yard is safe!

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6680 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6680 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2022 :  11:58:08 AM  Show Profile
Wow Winnie! I would love to visit your yard and see all those birds.

I love cardinals and wish we had some here. They are my favorite bird.

Krista

Edited by - MaryJanesNiece on Aug 05 2022 11:59:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2022 :  07:10:05 AM  Show Profile
Because we have such warm weather year around, there is lots of food for birds of all categories and other critters. Those of you who live further North have a limited warm season and that determines the food supply for many birds. Florida is also a stopping point for migrating birds and a home for many during the cold months where you see them in the summers only. Luck has nothing to do with it at all. Mother Nature has provided habitats for countless species down in this state for year round and seasonal needs. While I complain about the constant hot weather, the birds demonstrate that they are happy and thriving. My husband loves to take photos of birds and he hikes around preserves close by and gets all these amazing photos of ducks, and all sorts of little marsh birds that are not in the city area where I live.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2698 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2698 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2022 :  10:00:36 AM  Show Profile
I have fed our backyard birds for years. I almost always feed them at the same time, so some of them actually wait in the trees in our backyard for their food. I love feeding the birds along with the squirrels, chipmunks, groundhogs, and the occasional deer. The other day a mama deer came by with her little one, it was so adorable.

hugs,
Marcy

Farmgirl #170

FGOTM August 2012

Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give...Eleanor Roosevelt

Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6438 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6438 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2022 :  10:13:18 AM  Show Profile
Yes, I love feeding all our birds as well. There are some different birds here than we had in Colorado but some are the same. I have my bird book with great photos so we are able to identify the ones unfamiliar to us. Love our new life in Oregon!

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
With Colorado on My Mind
Farmgirl of the Month September 2012 and February 2018
“My altars are My Mountains
and the Ocean.” Lord Byron”

When I am Old I Shall Wear Purple !!

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2022 :  2:08:15 PM  Show Profile
. Got maybe 10 hummers here. The most we have ever had. So fun to watch them.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2022 :  2:32:37 PM  Show Profile
Michelle, love your feeder? I've given up on having a hummingbird feeder because of the ants.

Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2680 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2680 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2022 :  4:09:42 PM  Show Profile
Our lavendar hills are starting to dry and go to seed from our heat we've had this summer, finchies are here a bit early, but, I tell ya, it's one of my favorite times of year to be able to sit on my patio and watch all the little finches frolic and feed on our lavendars!

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2023 :  08:02:17 AM  Show Profile
It's 55 here but I found a couple of feet of sunshine on my back deck, so I sat and drank my morning tea. I heard the red-headed woodpecker before I saw him high up in my neighbor's 50' or over pine tree. When the sun hit his head I could see his red feathers. I watched him for a good while until a flock of crackles flew in and scared him off. Crackles are such nasty birds.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4100 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4100 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2023 :  4:39:26 PM  Show Profile
What a lovely way to start your day Sara. Enjoy as often as you can!!

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1408 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1408 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2023 :  6:56:23 PM  Show Profile
Sara, what are crackles??

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2024 :  1:13:43 PM  Show Profile
While I was at my kitchen window today, I saw a brown thrasher splashing in the birdbath. I always feel fortunate to see one because they are shy and for the most part stay in the shadows. A brown thrasher, a songbird, is akin to mocking birds and are built like them.

FGOTM Sept 2015 - Feb 2019 - Oct 2023

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

4892 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
4892 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2024 :  5:53:20 PM  Show Profile
I live all the Bird stories! I cannot imagine a day without feeding my Birdies! I love to watch them from my window especially the male cardinal feeding his female.
We have lots of woodpeckers,

finches, tufted titmouse, blue
Jay's, Redbird, robins, finches, morning Doves and a Bluebird who has been coming for years. He us so beautiful!
Connie W.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies:  Backyard Birds Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page