YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2023 :  12:26:01 PM  Show Profile
Walked around my raised beds and container gardens today. All herbs except for the sage are gone but will come back in the spring. Nice to have fresh sage for beans and stews. The MJF garlic I planted in Oct survived the 7-degree temps before Christmas. The green tops are about 6" high so glad to see the hard freeze did not hurt them.

Hugs, Sara "FarmGirl Sister" #6034 Aug 2014
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2023 :  12:34:33 PM  Show Profile
Awesome! I've been out cleaning and preparing our garden too this past week Sara! The freeze was hard enough I could finally pull up dahlia tubers, my sage was hurt but not enough to do it in! :) the rest is just clean, fertilize, plant and wait and see! Have you ever used Mr Jim's 'juice advertised in MaryJanes magazine? I just ordered some to feed and rebuild the microbes in the soil. Also I'm following Roots & Refuge on you tube and using the no till method on flat land, no built up or raised beds, even tho they'd be MUCH EASIER on my poor back! Is it too late to plant garlic? I just saw a 'commercial of how to get full cloves from jars of water. Hmmmm

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2023 :  12:48:48 PM  Show Profile
Garlic is planted in the fall. Here in Texas I plant it in Oct. It will sprout in a couple of weeks and stay around 6" through the winter. The only time I have lost garlic to a hard freeze was several years ago when it got down to 7 below zero.

I haven't tried Mr Jim's juice. Let us know how you like it.

In the 1960s Ruth Stout had a book on no till gardening. Best I have read on the subject. I wore out the paperback I had and when I looked it up on-line it's way too expensive for my pocketbook. I guess it is a collector's item now.

Just a little bit of Ruth Stout trivia. Her brother Rex Stout wrote the Nero Wolfe mysteries. I just love little bits of nonsense.
Go to Top of Page

VegiChik
True Blue Farmgirl

103 Posts

Sharon L
Gaylord MI
USA
103 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2023 :  1:00:27 PM  Show Profile
Here in Northern Michigan on our hilltop, all gardens are taking a long winter’s nap! Even items in our high tunnel-tho maybe not frozen yet-are at a standstill. We do continue to harvest carrots, however. Huddled under straw & snow, they are SO sweet when dug & brought into the house.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2023 :  1:20:16 PM  Show Profile
Sharon your carrots sound so good. I have tried growing carrots but never had any luck.

Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4330 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4330 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2023 :  1:32:33 PM  Show Profile
I too have tried carrots but they don't like our humid weather. Although I've only tried to plant them in late February and again even later. I think I'll try a small row here in January. Maybe.....you are lucky Sharon!! I love me some good fresh carrot juice!!

I keep saying Sara, I'll plant MJ's garlic but never get around to it! Hopefully here in 2023. Organic garlic is very expensive at our store but I only buy it once a month. I love the smell when I'm cooking something with it!:) I'm going to try and find Ruth's book on a used book site! Thanks! Oh yea, pretty cool tidbit about her brother!!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4719 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4719 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2023 :  2:53:29 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for mentioning Ruth Stout's book Sara. I love the Nero Wolf series written by Rex Stout. I hadn't realized that one of his daughters was also an author. For Christmas my husband gave me the Rex Stout's autobiography that was written just before he died in 1976. The book has been interesting and what an incredible family. Their family date back to the mid 1600's here in the USA and are direct descendants of Benjamin Franklin's sister.

Hard to imagine planting anything outside here in the Chicago area. All I can do is look at magazines, gardening shows on PBS and dream about what I'll do this spring.

Dawn in IL

The fireside is the tulip bed of a winter day.
(Persian Proverb)
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2023 :  3:36:42 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Dawn for the info on the Stout family.

Our weather is all over the place. Before Christmas it was 7 degrees - Between Christmas and now it's been 30 to 70.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6525 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6525 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2023 :  1:03:03 PM  Show Profile
Sara, I am glad your garden is in relatively good shape considering the crazy Arctic freeze that pushed so far south!! Rex Stout is completely new to me but what an interesting person he was.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2681 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2681 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2023 :  1:58:56 PM  Show Profile
Sara, good news your garden hung in there, especially when you're not used to the polar temps.

My garden beds are frozen stiff, hard as a rock. My herbs and walking onions from my grandmothers farm back in Michigan are taking their long winters nap. They come back every year, I'm grateful for that. They are usually blanketed with fall leaves to help insulate them. We had a surprise snow fall AGAIN today, wasn't even forecasted. I have spring fever way too early, we usually can't plant until memorial day due to frost and freezing temps until then. Im thinking about starting some seeds early this year and cluttering up my kitchen window with them. Get a head start. We took out two large trees from our property, we have 11 left, so full sun has been difficult to locate in our yard, we may have to take out more because I really want a larger garden. My hubs appreciates his continued honey do list! ha!

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2023 :  2:54:54 PM  Show Profile
Did you know that Ruth was known to work her garden in the nude?? Got some looks from cars passing by, I am SURE!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2023 :  3:15:10 PM  Show Profile
I had not heard that. Ruth Stout is in a group of women along with Tasha Tudor that I would have liked to have known.

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17025 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17025 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2023 :  9:47:27 PM  Show Profile
"Gardening?",, what is this strange thing, Gardening, that you speak of???
All I have in my garden is SNOW!!! and I am 'snow' over it! lol!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2023 :  03:36:17 AM  Show Profile
We also have lots of snow. But I don't think the ground ever really froze hard. So end of Feb I will start some pepper seeds and then March a few more seeds. Southern gardeners, enjoy getting out there.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

VegiChik
True Blue Farmgirl

103 Posts

Sharon L
Gaylord MI
USA
103 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2023 :  11:58:07 AM  Show Profile
Speaking of Ruth Stout & her gardening apparel (or lack thereof): puts a whole new meaning to a “farmer’s tan”!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2023 :  12:08:06 PM  Show Profile

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2023 :  4:19:43 PM  Show Profile
I'm with you Sara, I would love to have met Ruth Stout and Tasha Tudor also.
Although I can't imagine Tasha in the same gardening "attire" as Ruth.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2023 :  12:40:35 AM  Show Profile
...or Ruth in Tasha's red flannel petticoat. One of these days I'm going to get me one of those petticoats.

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2023 :  09:58:35 AM  Show Profile
Tasha's family used to have a shop online where they sold similar things. Let me see if I can find it later, no time now!
Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2023 :  6:38:51 PM  Show Profile
Hay there.

I took a stroll the other day also and paced out a few of my beds. The greenhouse is laying in pieces in the lot so hope to get it erected this spring/summer. I know where my Cajun garlic is supposed to be but haven't had a chance to reclaim that section.....its been neglected for more than a decade.
Still have some saplings to cut away from the edges. Im looking ahead....not behind.

Hugs and prayers, Daizy #1093
Poor House Farmgirl Chapter {A virtual chapter open to everyone.}
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
www.poorhouseparadise.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6699 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6699 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2023 :  1:54:43 PM  Show Profile
I have started thinking about my garden and what I would like to plant this year, but it is still too soon for me as well. I have snow in my garden. I am thinking about extending my garden. As of yesterday I only have one more onion left. I didn't grow enough onions to make it through the winter, so I guess that means I need to plant more. I will be getting a game plan here shortly so I can figure out how I will expand this year.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1419 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1419 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2023 :  6:46:13 PM  Show Profile
I found some pansy plants popping up in a pot in my front yard! Just the leaves so far, but it’s still growth! :)

Karen :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2023 :  10:28:39 AM  Show Profile
Hay there.

MY jonquils have opened up. They give us hope for spring. My crocus are still in the ground.....I hope they are anyway. Squirrels have had fun in my yard this year and I feed the birds too.

Hugs and prayers, Daizy #1093
Poor House Farmgirl Chapter {A virtual chapter open to everyone.}
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
www.poorhouseparadise.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2023 :  3:27:47 PM  Show Profile
Today I checked on the tulips I planted last fall in a galvanized tub, and they are coming up. Took the covering of leaves off but will put back on if we have another hard freeze.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6525 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6525 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2023 :  09:32:08 AM  Show Profile
We are still clipping back all the dead plants from the Christmas freeze and clearing out all these weed vines that took over so many Azalea plants. Before we plant new stuff, we will wait until late March when this area of Florida typically stops having freezes. No always , mind you. A few years ago, we had one in early April and it zapped all the flowers on my orange tree and I hardly had any oranges that year. Sneaky weather! You just have to give yourself a broader safe space when planting new things.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6812 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6812 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2023 :  06:12:45 AM  Show Profile
Winnie it's a constant fight around here to keep unwanted vines from taking over. Honeysuckle and trumpeter vines are great climbing on my back fence, but the other vines are just pests that have to pulled up.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Garden Gate: Previous Topic First Look at My Garden in 2023 Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page