suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2023 :  06:31:05 AM  Show Profile
Boy, Winnie, having the same weather as you I couldn't agree more! We list a lot too, my beautiful butterfly bush, 8 feet high and my smaller one both got frozen with the two artic blasts! I'm scared they are both dead but I suppose I'll have to YouTube it and see if they are savable. I'm heartbroken.

I've been out in the garden a LOT this past 2 weeks as the weather is kinder and warmer. Prepping my vegetable side with cardboard, mulching compost and this time I am waiting until April to plant! But the flower side i have been really working on! Cleaning out the lemon balm bed, and the dahlia bed. Separated and replanted over 35 tubers. Filling the bed now with plenty of pine straw from the tornado a few weeks ago. ;) the blackberry bed is all cleaned cut back and mulched. I've got compost waiting for the herb beds now and my flower seeds are in the fridge ' stratifying', lol! Spring is sure in the air here!

Sara, I love tulips but only have a few green leaves popping up as well as the daffodils and 3 of my hyacinths. What kind of tulips do you have??

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2023 :  06:58:01 AM  Show Profile
Dianna, you inspire me with all the garden work you do. The tulips are Golden Parade sold by Eden Bros. First year for me to grow them. In my part of Texas, we treat tulips as annuals.

Hugs, Sara "FarmGirl Sister" #6034 Aug 2014
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.

Edited by - YellowRose on Feb 23 2023 07:00:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2023 :  07:03:34 AM  Show Profile
Hmmm, I really want to grow more tulips!! Maybe when I go to see my son in Wa. During the annual tulip festival ill purchase some. What kind of soil do you have for them Sara?

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2023 :  07:24:39 AM  Show Profile
The tulips are in a round galvanized tub with loam in bottom half of the tub and Mircale Grow potting soil on top half. This is the mixture I use in all my tubs. They wintered over with a layer of leaves.

Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2023 :  07:46:05 AM  Show Profile
:) I've no tubs but yours sound fun and stress-free! I just might place a tub ground level and try them! Do squirrels eat them? I've got a ton, I'm sure you do too, lol

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2023 :  08:00:44 AM  Show Profile
I have loads of squirrels too. They dig in my tubs to plant acorns and pecans. Always pulling out wee trees. All my tubs sit on two high cinder blocks, so I don't have to bend over. I get dizzy if I bend over too much. The only problem I have with the raised tubs is harvesting the okra when it gets too high for me to reach. I have a dwarf variety of okra to plant this year. Hopefully it will not grow too tall.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2023 :  5:15:53 PM  Show Profile
Sara, I am sorry you lost many of your favorite plants this winter! Those days of Arctic temps and 20+ degree nights just overcame many of ours. This area is not prepared for such freezes. We cannot easily grow bulb flowers like you can so I am glad your spring daffodils and Hyacinths are blooming. Enjoy your yard work. You and I know that the slog of hot and humid weeks lies just ahead for all of us down here in the lower tier states. Come July, I will be begging for just one night at 20+ degrees!! LOL!!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4314 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4314 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2023 :  5:53:18 PM  Show Profile
Same here Winnie!
Sara, have you thought about loppers or something like that to cut over? I so hope the dwarf okra works out for you! Our squirrels keep setting off the alarms. Drives my dog crazy!!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9204 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9204 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2023 :  03:25:24 AM  Show Profile
We have daffodils coming up already and I am hoping they won't get ruined by the snow in our forecast. Our temperatures are all over the place. We won't be planting till April at the earliest. This year we are putting in raised beds. We have a small area to use. Still thinking of what we will put in there.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2023 :  08:06:12 AM  Show Profile
I moved my bay tree and a large basket of assorted green leaf plants outside this morning. The bay tree is on the back deck and the basket of plants now sits at my front door. I may have to move them back inside if it dips into the 30s but for now they are out of the house.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Garden Gate: Previous Topic First Look at My Garden in 2023 Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page