AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2023 :  6:26:08 PM  Show Profile
Today I attended a webinar "Growing Native Plants From Seed". Two hours long, very informative. Cost $10 and it went to the Master Gardeners group that hosted. This was through Penn State Extension.
I think winter is the perfect time to learn more about gardening and draw up the garden plan.
Anyone else attending classes, webinars, reading books or articles?

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2654 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2654 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2023 :  1:39:54 PM  Show Profile
Such a great idea, Andrea, I never even thought about that. I'll have to look into what our local little county may offer. I have started a little more research with herbs and such for health and medicinal, barely have scratched the surface, so I have a lot of learning ahead of me that I'm looking forward to. Our growing season is very short here, we usually plant or start planing Memorial day because we freeze up to that point and sometimes beyond. Hubs and I have been looking for old windows, I have my heart set on a little green house made from old glass windows that perhaps I can put a heat lamp or some sort of heat source to extend a growing season. Work in progress here. :-)

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

AndreaPA
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Andrea
Factoryville PA
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2023 :  2:56:18 PM  Show Profile
April it is a great resource. Penn State extension has a lot of free articles and recordings that are free. Anyone can attend the Penn State webinars but they are based on PA so some things may not quite fit.
My last freeze date is early May so I hear you. My grandmother had a cole frame or cold frame, I've heard it both ways. Block walls & she put windows over it. If I remember right, there were 2 blocks between the level of the dirt and the windows. She grew lettuce and radish early. Sometimes there was snow on the ground and she has fresh lettuce.
Good luck with the greenhouse!

Andrea
Farmgirl# 8166
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2654 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2654 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2023 :  4:29:16 PM  Show Profile
I've recently come across the cold frames too, am intrigued by them. I already have raised beds, I wonder if my hubs could build some sort of a frame to hold a window top door for early growing here as well? I could always bundle with a warm blanket if we're expecting a late in the season snow fall or freeze? Hmmmmm, perhaps I should start smaller than the green house, wouldn't take as many windows. I could probably get more immediate gratification that way. :-) THank you, Andrea!

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2023 :  6:44:36 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, Andrea, for posting about webinars! I, too, will have to look into what’s available.

April, I’m sure both Oregon State and Oregon would have good information too. :)

Karen :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2972 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2972 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2023 :  6:44:50 PM  Show Profile
I don't know of any events in my area that I can get to in between milking the cows, but I am doing a lot of reading! Like April, I'm getting into herbs and I received 3 books for Christmas along with some seeds :)

April - I don't have it in front of me right now so I can't tell you the exact title, but I have a book that has pictures to help identify plants and tells you the season to harvest the herbs. It also tells the best way to use them and what to use them for. It's amazing how many things you find when you know what to look for! The book is areas specific - mine's for the midwest. I'll get it out and post the title so if you're interested you can look for the one for your area.

Andrea - I'll have to look into the Penn State extension and see what articles and recordings they have - there might be some useful stuff for me since we're sort of neighbors :)

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic State Extension Webinars Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page