True Blue Farmgirl

16961 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16961 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2023 :  12:04:05 PM  Show Profile
It's Jubilee 2023...

Now, fingers crossed I don't get kicked off, Hopefully my computer virus protector is napping and doesn't see me on the forum... lol!

Quick story, last week my hubby and I had doctor appointments and errands to run in town so we stopped in for a late lunch-dinner. While sitting at the table my hubby asked if I had a tissue so he could clean the lens of his eye glasses,, I pulled out a Hanky...After he returned the Hanky, I pondered for a moment,, how a Hanky use to be a staple in Lady's handbag..
I remember my mother always reminding me to keep a Hanky tucked in my little 'patent leather' purse... and to this day, I still keep a hanky in my purse..

The (my) Hankies have varied over the years... but oh how many times they have come in handy... wiping eye glass lenses, runny noses (mine & my daughter's) tears of joy and sadness and food from my daughter's face.

Over the years, I have given many a Hanky to someone, be it a gift or at a Funeral...

I do love Hankies... so...
Let's celebrate this year's Jubilee with a Hankey!

If you have a Hanky packed away, pull it out, gently hand wash it, and tuck it into your purse. maybe spritz it with a bit of lavender.., Maybe keep an extra one in your handbag just incase a friend needs their tears wiped away or, a loved one needs to wipe their eye glass lens..

Don't have a Hanky,??? hit a Thrift or antique store,, I see them all the time for a dollar or two.

You can also make your own Hanky.. using a piece of very thin cotton, wash it several times then dry it and iron it flat.
Next if you are confident with a sewing machine, make the tiniest hem all the way around,, if not, iron the hem in place and then hand stitch it down. If your sewing machine does decorative stitches like Herringbone, use that stitch for the hem.
For those of you who know how to ''tat" you can do a sweet tatting all around the edges.

Hankies vary from a dainty 8" to a very useful 14"...
You can hand or machine embroider them with a lovely design or your initials, or just leave them plain...
I happen to like the cute tiny printed soft cotton ones... they don't show stains as much as a solid color.. but the most important thing is to carry a hanky...

So, for this year, in celebration of our MJF Jubilee, let's wave our hankies,,
Maybe make or buy a Hanky and gift it to someone special or for those of you with young daughters, give them the tradition of carrying a Hanky.

Happy Jubilee '23, and carry your Hanky...

Now, show us your Hankies...

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16961 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16961 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2023 :  12:10:43 PM  Show Profile

I knew it was to good to last!
I tried to post another comment on a different Thread and I got ghosted out !!
So now I am back on my cell phone to access the forum,,
Anyway, here a just a few of my hankies.. I have 2 keep sake boxes filled with over a hundred hankies,, yep! Luv hankies!

>^..^<
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16961 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16961 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2023 :  12:17:31 PM  Show Profile
Oh and for you single ladies, always spritz your hanky with a lite misting of perfume, then when in the company of a handsome gentleman, remove your hanky from your purse, dab your eyes and then accidentally drop your hanky allowing the Gentleman to pick it up and return it to you … thus allowing Cupid to do his job…
Oh Wait! I think I watched to many old Cary Grant movies! Lol!

>^..^<
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2023 :  1:06:00 PM  Show Profile
Ah, Grace I too remember hankies! In the 40s Easter Sunday church attire would not be complete without a washed and ironed hankie in my little purse. Moving on to my teenage years in the 50s and date night a fresh hankie was tucked into my purse. Sometime in the mid 60s I stopped putting hankies in my handbags. By then purses were mostly called handbags and single packages of Kleenex took the place of hankies.

I have several vintage hankies, now to dig them out from their safekeeping places, and wash and iron them. I think I may have a couple with yellow roses.

Thanks, Grace, for the memories and hankies are a very good choice for our 2023 Jubilee.

Hugs, Sara "FarmGirl Sister" #6034 Aug 2014
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2654 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2654 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2023 :  1:11:13 PM  Show Profile
I love this idea, Grace! I have several, I only seem to use them sometimes, so nostagic. This will help remind me to use them more often, something so beautiful and feminine and USEFUL!! Happy Jubilee!

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9203 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9203 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2023 :  6:03:25 PM  Show Profile
Oh Grace I collect hankies and always have one handy. My collection started with some vintage ones that my grandmother made andtatted. Then my girls gifted some to me on birthdays and such. Farmgirls have also gifted some to me. I will try and see if I can get a photo up of some of them!

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jan 17 2023 6:03:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2972 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2972 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2023 :  6:13:26 PM  Show Profile
What a wonderful pick, Grace! I have some hankies - most from my grandma. I keep saying I should find something to do with them rather than keep them in the drawer. I do carry one in my purse! I'll get some photos soon.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2023 :  6:21:54 PM  Show Profile
I love this so much!! I have a small collection of hankies. I try to keep them tucked in decor pieces so they aren’t put away!! :)

Karen :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
Sharpshooter/Schoolmarm

763 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
763 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2023 :  7:05:11 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I love everything about this idea!!! I’m in!
Also….wasn’t Cary Grant the dreamiest???? They don’t make them like him anymore :)

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl of the Year

"Well behaved women seldom make history"....Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

LauraBell
True Blue Farmgirl

284 Posts

Laura
Corpus Christi TX
USA
284 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2023 :  7:50:07 PM  Show Profile
Oh I do love a vintage hankie! What a fun theme for this year. I will pull one or two out and add them to my purse tomorrow.

Happy Jubilee 2023!

Laura

Happy to be Farmgirl Sister #7286
Farmgirl of the Month October 2022
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16961 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16961 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2023 :  7:58:21 PM  Show Profile
Debbie,, Yes! swooning :>)

>^..^<
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16961 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16961 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2023 :  8:01:19 PM  Show Profile
I have seen 'Paper Dolls' with folded hankies as their dresses... I will have to search on etsy and pinterest for them..

>^..^<
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4085 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4085 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2023 :  03:32:57 AM  Show Profile
I will dig my fancy ones out. I do keep farm girl ones in the back pocket of my barn pants all the time.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

GinnyBelle
True Blue Farmgirl

501 Posts

Hannah
West Lafayette IN
USA
501 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2023 :  06:50:15 AM  Show Profile
I have been meaning for ages now to get some hankies for my pocket at work. I have an outdoor job and my nose is always drippy in the cold weather. Now I have no excuse to further delay hankie procurement!

Hannah #6994
Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2023 :  10:08:16 AM  Show Profile
Hay there.

I have a wonderful assortment of hankies, both vintage and new. I use to use them all the time but changed to bandanas when I left my corporate career. My bandanas always end up with grease or something to leave stains so I stopped using the pretties. Time to get them out!! And I love the idea of displaying them in my decor.

So.....I'm over here waving my hankie at all you Farmgirls!!

Hugs and prayers, Daizy #1093
Poor House Farmgirl Chapter {A virtual chapter open to everyone.}
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
www.poorhouseparadise.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2654 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2654 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2023 :  4:49:28 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies, I found this interesting link regarding the history of the handkerchief... thought I would share.

https://handkerchiefheroes.com/home/#:~:text=History%20Some%20historians%20opine%20the%20handkerchief%20originated%20in,BC%29%20show%20figures%20holding%20decorative%20pieces%20of%20cloth.

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2023 :  5:09:56 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Great idea for the Jubilee theme, Grace. I have some hankies somewhere; I'll have to dig them out.

I also have a piece of fabric that is hankies that you cut apart and have to hem. Maybe that will be another PhD?? LOL!

I have a pattern in a pattern book for a hankie butterfly quilt block.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015 and April 2017

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1401 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1401 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2023 :  5:59:55 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for sharing the article, April! :) I learned a few things! :)

Karen :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

16961 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
16961 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2023 :  11:44:35 PM  Show Profile
April, awesome history lesson on hankies.. thank you for sharing.

>^..^<
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2023 :  08:19:03 AM  Show Profile
April thanks for sharing the history of hankies.

Go to Top of Page

ctouchette
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Carmen
Essex MO
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2023 :  10:25:32 AM  Show Profile
I love this idea so much, I currently use a few pretty hankies as decor!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6747 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6747 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2023 :  11:19:26 AM  Show Profile
Carmen, I see you are new to the Farm, welcome. You'll find we are all Farmgirls at Heart whether we live on farms, in big cities, or small towns.

Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2279 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2279 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2023 :  6:27:25 PM  Show Profile
I have a lovely collection of vintage hankies. I will get them out of my vintage train case and share some pictures. I also have a stack of flannel hankies that I use in place of tissues most of the time. So much softer on the nose.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

AussieChick
Sharpshooter

345 Posts

Cindy
Bend Oregon
USA
345 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2023 :  10:04:32 AM  Show Profile
What a great way to celebrate the Jubilee 2023!! My Dad always has a hanky in his pocket & I can still see my mother diligently ironing them into quarters for him. I, too, inherited the love of handkerchiefs, so much so that I always carry one in my purse and I have several in circulation. The most precious of all is the one that I had given to me at our wedding!

Farmgirl #6058
Farmgirl Sister of the Year 2021

"The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have".

Edited by - AussieChick on Jan 21 2023 5:36:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2023 :  12:32:12 PM  Show Profile
Grace this is such a great idea for Jubilee 2023!! I love hankies and have a few from my growing up years plus a couple that have been gifted to me or that I found in a thrift store. I always remember having a hanky in my purse when I first started using one for school.

This is a great idea to get out any hankies we have and share them!! I will put my thinking cap on soon and see if I can come up with a fun swap as we get closer to the first weekend in May when we celebrate our MJF Jubilee!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

GinnyBelle
True Blue Farmgirl

501 Posts

Hannah
West Lafayette IN
USA
501 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2023 :  04:38:01 AM  Show Profile
I hit the jackpot big time yesterday! I went to the accessory section where I work to get a couple bandanas to use as hankies. Not fancy, I know, but sufficient for pushing carts in a parking lot. The selection was pretty ugly except for some leftover Christmas ones, so I chose them. But when I rang them up, turns out they were unmarked clearance and selling for $0.19! Believe me, I scooped up the rest. They were so cheap, I felt justified to put in an order for a couple fancy real hankies from an online linen shop! Hehe!

Hannah #6994
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 2. We decree, it's Jubilee!: Previous Topic Jubilee '23 Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page