Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2207 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2207 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2023 :  05:41:38 AM  Show Profile
Blowing out eggs is a thrifty alternative to plastic eggs that break and are rarely recycled. If used in an egg hunt for children you can mark one for the Grand prize.
The technique is easy. Get a sturdy needle with a sharp tip. Hold it point up and firmly tap the end of an egg on it so the needle makes a hole.

Use the tip of the needle to make the hole about 1/8 - 1/4 inch. Then flip the egg over and repeat one the other end.
Now take a deep breath, lock your lips over one hole and blow like you're blowing up a balloon over a bowl. It may be hard at first, but the bigger holes make it easy.

The white will come out first, then the yolk, then the chunkier part of the yolk, then a bit more white.

When there is no more resistance, rinse the inside of the egg at the sink, and blow out the water into the sink.

And there you are! They are ready to be decorated. The holes can be covered with tissue paper, stickers, etc.
One thing I should add is that your lips can get tired, so pace yourself if you need a bunch of them. Years ago, my daughter and I were blowing out eggs together and I joked that we looked like egg junkies. Carol started giggling which made it harder to blow!

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754

Edited by - Audra Rose on Mar 18 2023 05:48:15 AM

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6525 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6525 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2023 :  07:44:21 AM  Show Profile
Vanessa, I blew out two eggs myself this week. It is a great way to get real eggs to decorate for Easter and Spring as well as use for spring decor. Plus the light colored eggs will dye perfectly too if you want traditional Easter dye colors or homemade herbal ones.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9245 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9245 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2023 :  2:30:19 PM  Show Profile
What is the plus of blowing them out as opposed to boiling and decorating? Do you keep them and store them or what?

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2023 :  03:09:43 AM  Show Profile
Great instructions!! I wanted to add I have brown egg layers. I color the eggs with food coloring, and the brown ones color so pretty.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2207 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2207 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2023 :  09:58:48 AM  Show Profile
Denise, that's right, when you blow them out you can seal them and save them for the next year. On the other hand with boiled eggs you can make deviled eggs.

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6699 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6699 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2023 :  1:12:44 PM  Show Profile
Vanessa, are they more fragile when empty?

Krista
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9245 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9245 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2023 :  5:34:40 PM  Show Profile
I love seeing decorated eggs. Does any remember the pretty sugar eggs they used to make with the scenes inside?

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2207 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2207 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2023 :  05:19:31 AM  Show Profile
Eggs are stronger than you'd think (after all a hen sits on them), but they will break if you drop them. Kids would be able to decorate them with markers or paint.

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6699 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6699 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2023 :  12:00:48 PM  Show Profile
Vanessa, thank you for the information. I really want to try these, but I will probably wait until next year when Bexten isn't so destructive lol!

Denise, I remember those eggs! My grandma had a light purple one. It was so pretty!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9245 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9245 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2023 :  05:23:52 AM  Show Profile
Krista, wish they still had things like that around these days.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6699 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6699 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2023 :  1:17:17 PM  Show Profile
Me too Denise. A lot of my holiday decorations are items like that. Many have been handed down to me from my grandmas. There was so much beauty, love, and passion in those decorations. Nothing like what we have available to us now. I did a quick google search and found a website that shows you how to make them. I am going to save it and practice my icing pipping skills this year so I can make one next year.

Krista
Go to Top of Page
  Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Blowing out eggs for Easter Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page