Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Chit Chat
 Cleaning Up: Leave It Better Than You Found It
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Merit Badge Chit Chat: Previous Topic Cleaning Up: Leave It Better Than You Found It Next Topic  

GinnyBelle
True Blue Farmgirl

505 Posts

Hannah
West Lafayette IN
USA
505 Posts

Posted - May 03 2024 :  11:59:47 AM  Show Profile
To earn the beginner level of this badge, I answered the following three questions.

1. Why is Stewardship of the Earth important to you?
Stewardship of the Earth is important to me because the Earth is such a wonderful, magical, fragile place. I love nature and wildlife. It reminds me constantly that there is a higher power and that humanity is just a small part of a very diverse system. Spending time in nature always makes me feel better and more in tune with myself and what is important in my life. Nature also provides wonderful gifts for us that we often take for granted, like seafood and maple syrup.

2. Why is it important to keep our highways, public places, and outdoor recreational areas litter free?
It is important to keep these areas litter free because those spaces are for all of us to enjoy, animal and human. If they are not kept clean, the trash just keeps piling up and spilling further and further. I have never understood peoples' need to throw trash on the ground.

3. What adverse effects can the presence of litter have on the environment and wildlife? Tell us about these problems in three different areas of our world, such as roads, nature, waterways urban spaces, etc.
Trash has a devastating effect on wildlife in every area it occurs. Litter along roadways can often entice animals closer to traffic, resulting in injury and death.
Litter in our waterways has a particularly devastating effect. Fish and turtles often mistake trash for food, which often results in sickness and death. It can also clog waterways, making it harder for wildlife to navigate their homes. They can become entangled, losing limbs and/or dying.
Litter in our urban spaces is a close to home problem for me. For so many, those Urban spaces are what make up day to day "nature" experiences. For some, it might be the only nature they'll ever experience. Litter in these areas affects not just wildlife, but children and pets as well. I almost daily have a close call with food trash and my opportunistic pup on our walks. Trash can also lure wildlife closer to yards and pets, resulting in injury and disease.

Hannah #6994
February 2023 FGOTM

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6771 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6771 Posts

Posted - May 03 2024 :  1:09:50 PM  Show Profile
Great work Hannah. Congratulations on completing your badge.

Krista
Go to Top of Page
  Merit Badge Chit Chat: Previous Topic Cleaning Up: Leave It Better Than You Found It Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page