Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Rachell
Mars Hill NC
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2014 :  1:45:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello sisters!

I've FINALLY made it back online to introduce myself. Thank you for allowing me to join you all here at the Poor House Chapter. I decided to renew my MJF Sisterhood membership so that I could work towards badges in areas of my interest and so that I could join an online henhouse since I have not heard back from ANY of the LOCAL chapters I have tried to contact. :(

I moved to this area about 2.5 years ago now and although I LOVE it, it is more rural than I have even been before and at my age I am finding hard meeting people and making friends. Oh, I've tried to a number of ways but nothing seems to have stuck so I decided to start my own MJF Chapter called the 4 Seasons Sisters based out of Mars Hill, NC (WNC, near Asheville). So far, I have had no bites on my chapter, but I am holding out hope! :)

In the meantime, I thought I could assuage my loneliness by making some friends online that I can share interests with through online contact. This will be a bit tricky for me as I do not like to get sucked in to the computer too much, ya know? There is lots to do on my new homestead! ;)

So as for details about me... I am 43 and my name is pronounced Ru-Shell not RAY-CHELL. ;) I am SAHHHM (Stay at home homeshooling, homesteading mom) but my "kids" are all growing up fast! My oldest is my daughter Autumn/21 and my sons are Logan/17 and Griffin/12. I am married to a wonderfully supportive man who does not share my farm-heart but tries his best to understand this condition I was obviously born with.

We left SWFL where I sadly did not fit in at all but tried to as best I could with a backyard, suburban homestead there. We had tropical fruit trees, native flowers/plants, herb and veg gardens, rain barrel system, compost, chickens, quail, and beehives but we quickly outgrew our little .25 parcel and I longed for seasons SO we moved to WNC, a place I have had my eye on for nearly 2 decades. We now have a nearly 1.5 acre plot where we keep chickens, turkeys, a small old orchard I am trying to revive, herb and veg gardens and native plantings. Our bees died off the last 2 years as we are adjusting to keeping them through winters but we are planning to try again in the Spring. There is talk of us getting a couple milk goats soon, too, if all goes well.

When I am not homeschooling or homesteading I enjoy crafts like crocheting and embroidery as well as developing other traditional skills like learning to can/freeze/dehydrate to preserve food, cooking, baking, sewing, etc. I also have been collecting a quite extensive "farmgirl" library of books that I am slowly working my way through, too.

My hope is that I can make friends to talk to online and maybe by Facebook IM, phone or text eventually as those work well for me, too. Maybe we can encourage each other along in our farmgirl efforts?

:)

https://www.facebook.com/ProgressiveHomemaker?ref=bookmarks Homemaking is not just for conservatives anymore!

So progressive, I'm old-fashioned!

Life's short. Make today count.

Edited by - ProgressiveHomemaker on Dec 01 2014 1:49:27 PM

Daizy
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
36 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2014 :  05:33:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hay there, Mz Rachell,

You sound like a very interesting person so I feel like you will make friends very soon in your new area. I wish our virtual chapter could get together and have coffee and just visit. I sent out the packets with some "get acquainted" cards to hand out so maybe they will help. Also, go to the feed stores and tack stores close to you and leave a note on the bulletin board about a meeting at a certain time and place and just see who shows up. It is difficult to connect when we work all the time but this way you allow the people reading the note a chance to plan to show up. Perhaps do it on a Tuesday afternoon on the third Tuesday of the month for several months in a row....you never know....you might have a few friends show up and they will be from the feed/tack store so they will have things in common with you. Good luck.

Welcome to our chapter and thanks for adding your information.

PHR Farmgirl
Go to Top of Page
  Member Bios: Previous Topic I've made it! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page