notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
702 Posts

Posted - May 18 2015 :  06:01:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I'm thinking about how to bring projects forward, and I thought it might be helpful to know what badges everyone already has. I was thinking of choosing one that requires reading a book, and having a sort of book club to get through it together. Just out of curiosity though, what badges do you guys have already?

Here are mine:

aprons
buttoned up
civic heritage
cross stitch
disconnect to reconnect
herbs
make it pretty
origami
putting away for winter
recipes
shopping green

All of mine are beginner level except aprons, herbs, origami, and shopping green are intermediate.

- Erin - Sister # 3762
Farmgirl of the Month - March 2016

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - May 19 2015 :  07:52:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All Beginners:

Each Other - FarmGirl Jubilee
Stitching & Crafting - Apron; Buttoned up; Sew Wonderful
Farm Kitchen Know your Food; Get it all Together

Erin because of vision problems related to MS I am no longer able to read books. To complete a couple of badges that required reading Brian gave me extra things to do instead of the books. So when we work on badges with books I will ask Brian to give me something to do. I will enjoy keeping up with the books discussions so I will be a part of it too.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - May 19 2015 :  07:55:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL! I am horrible at putting in for badges! I'll have to look at what I have received (I think only two, maybe three) and then figure out what I can put in for!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
702 Posts

Posted - May 19 2015 :  08:54:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, I understand. The book club thing is just an idea I was throwing out there. I'm not sure how everyone would feel about it. If there's interest, we might do it. Otherwise perhaps we could just pick badges to work on together with a reasonable time limit, or maybe even without a time limit, and more just for accountability.

One that I thought we could all do together is the Farmgirl Gratitude badge under Each Other. The requirements are to write a gratitude journal every day for a month, and read one entry, once a day from The Book of Awesome by Neil Pasricha. I was thinking we could start a thread for it, and use that as the "gratitude journal" and that way we can share what we're thankful for with each other. Since that isn't exactly what is written as requirements, I will get clarification to make sure it's ok. Depending on how long the entries in The Book of Awesome are, I might even be able to post them for you, Sara.

Any thoughts?

- Erin - Sister # 3762
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - May 19 2015 :  09:57:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the book club is an awesome idea and I will join in when I can.

When it comes to picking what badges to work on my only suggestion is to allow for FarmGirls to make other choices if for some reason or another they can not do a particular badge.

Maybe Farmgirls could work on one badge with the chapter and one of their own choosing. Sometimes I would be working on two badges - other times one badge. It'll all be fun and we'll have our badges.

Thanks Erin for offering to post them for me, but I will purchase the book and read what I can. I will start looking for a journal to use for recording my gratitudes.

Edited by - YellowRose on May 19 2015 10:02:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
702 Posts

Posted - May 19 2015 :  10:04:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara I agree. Anything I post here as a project is completely voluntary. I don't want anyone to feel any pressure. I'm just throwing ideas around. :)

- Erin - Sister # 3762
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

893 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
893 Posts

Posted - May 19 2015 :  12:09:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Erin - LOVE the book idea! I will definitely join - let me know when, so I can purchase the book :)

Badges - I'm in the middle of a crazy hectic day, but am gone tomorrow for a couple of days - so I will make sure to post my badges tonight :)

Joyce Hein
Sister #6071

April 2016 Farmgirl of the Month
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

893 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
893 Posts

Posted - May 19 2015 :  8:38:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a list of my current badges:

CLEANING UP
Shopping Green: Beginner
Recycling:Beginner

MAKE IT EASY
Music: Beginner, Intermediate and Expert

STITCHING & CRAFTING
Cross-Stitch: Beginner
Quilting: Beginner

Joyce Hein
Sister #6071

Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
702 Posts

Posted - May 20 2015 :  05:55:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for letting me know Joyce!

I ordered The Book of Awesome to be sent to my library and I should probably have it next week sometime. I think that will be the first one. Again, don't feel obligated to participate, but if you would like to, we can start either sometimes next week or the week after. If anyone needs a little longer to get the book, we can wait for that too. My library network had 7 copies and 1 checked out, so I feel pretty confident that I can renew it as much as needed.

Shannon, how do you feel about doing this together? I know you have a lot on your plate, so I'm wondering... :)

- Erin - Sister # 3762
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - May 20 2015 :  06:21:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Honestly, looking at what I am grateful for each and every day would be beneficial in many many ways!!!! I am totally in!!!! I often times try to write something I am grateful for each day in the month of November. In fact, I think I will post each day on my blog (which I have not updated in FOREVER), as well. Thank you for such a fantastic idea!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - May 20 2015 :  06:54:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It looks like the only two badges I have received are:
Beginner - Shopping Green
Beginner - Farmgirl Jubilee

Still need to look through the requirements and apply for more :)

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

NixKat
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kathleen
Moosup CT
USA
146 Posts

Posted - May 20 2015 :  08:14:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love the book idea, although I don't read books like I used to. Nowadays I read what pertains to whatever I am doing at the moment, such raising goats, etc.; but I would still enjoy the discussions.

I haven't tried to get any badges......is that bad? I just don't feel a need to get a beginner's badge for things I have been making for decades. However, I think they are a great thing for those who are just starting out, and I would definitely would have worked toward earning all the badges in my younger days. Then again I DO LIKE the idea of group badges and would definitely work on earning those.

Sara, I like your idea of the "thankful journal".

What about assembling a couple of our favorite old family recipes and sharing them with each of us and we can "test cook" each. Perhaps we could do one meal a week for our family using at least one of the recipes and then share the outcome with here...... just a thought.

{{{Hugs}}}

Kathleen...... Farmgirl Sister #3447

http://hennypennyfarm.blogspot.com/
https://www.pinterest.com/Time2SewCTHome/
www.time-2-sew.com

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - May 20 2015 :  08:47:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I debated for awhile whether I was going to apply for badges.... but I have found that I can easily earn some and learn about other things. One that I figured I would work on today (expecting it to be easy) was the Going Green badge in Cleaning Up. I thought we were safe, so I would just make a gift basket for someone else. Then I decided to research, just to be sure... Ugghhh was I wrong! My so called "green" products are NOT green! They lie! And now I have to figure out what in the world i am going to do! Oh my oh my oh my!

I really like the idea of sharing recipes. I want to contact some of my extended family members and get copies of their favorite recipes... the only issue, is most of them do not eat healthy at all, lol. A "spruced up" boxed meal might be as good as I can get from some of them ;) But I have come up with some yummy meals, if I would be allowed to share those... is it okay if they are not "old"?

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

NixKat
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kathleen
Moosup CT
USA
146 Posts

Posted - May 20 2015 :  09:05:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Old recipes aren't necessarily good recipes, and lots of really good recipes come from sprucing up boxed meals.
I probably should have said, family favorites, passed down or passed sideways. :)

The day I accidently combined ammonia and bleach was the day I decided to stop using chemical cleaners. (I was 19 and had just started keeping house for the first time in my life). Since then I have learned through trial and error what is safe for people and the environment. As you say Shannon, just because it says its green, doesn't mean it is.

www.time-2-sew.com

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - May 20 2015 :  09:37:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my head seriously hurts trying to figure all of this out! time to just pull out the bottles of doe items and go through them ingredient by ingredient! Head..... hurts.......

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

NixKat
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kathleen
Moosup CT
USA
146 Posts

Posted - May 20 2015 :  09:44:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck!

www.time-2-sew.com

Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
702 Posts

Posted - May 20 2015 :  09:54:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kathleen I see where you're coming from with the badges. There are a few that were (and would be) pretty easy to get. I'm such a dabbler though. I dabble in all kinds of things, and then have a difficult time settling on learning how to do something well. The thing I like about the badges is that it helps me focus on something, even if it is still just a beginner level. I like your recipe idea a lot. I'm always on the lookout for a good recipe!

Shannon for my cleaning products, at least for counters and glass, I use a vinegar/water combination with a little essential oil, and a tiny amount of dish soap for the counter spray. Take my word for it though, I'm no cleaning guru... haha!

- Erin - Sister # 3762
Go to Top of Page

NixKat
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kathleen
Moosup CT
USA
146 Posts

Posted - May 20 2015 :  10:12:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vinegar is the MR Clean in my cabinet.... :)
The water here leaves the inside of electric water kettle, including the heating element, nearly black by the end of the month. Scrubbing did not help, and soap is not an option because I vow, I can still taste the soap no matter how well rinsed. Anyway, I use approx. 1 cup of baking soda, enough vinegar to cover the worst of the stain, and then fill the kettle with hot water. After letting it "work" for until it was no longer stained, I let it sit for about an hour. Then rinsed it out until I could no longer smell the vinegar. This also works on my tea/coffee stained cups; after it has done it's work on the kettle/cups/etc, I pour it into the sink (with stopper) and let it sit to remove that little ring that gets stained around the drain ring.

www.time-2-sew.com

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - May 20 2015 :  10:38:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the idea of working on badges. The beginner level gives me a chance to see how it all works; bone-up on skills; or learn new ones; and inspires me to go on to intermediate & expert level. With each badge I have the good feeling of accomplishment and something to show for my efforts.

I like the idea of working on badges with other FarmGirls, and we can talk about what we are doing. My sisters will listen to me about badges, but they aren't really interested in me earning badges. I am really looking forward to the conversation between us as we work on badges.

Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
702 Posts

Posted - May 21 2015 :  05:40:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara I'm so happy you're looking forward to doing this together! I really am too. I talk about it with some of my friends, and they're somewhat interested, but it's very different to be able to talk with like-minded people.

Kathleen, you can start a topic under this folder for recipes if you want to!

- Erin - Sister # 3762
Go to Top of Page

NixKat
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kathleen
Moosup CT
USA
146 Posts

Posted - May 21 2015 :  11:10:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Erin. Does anyone have any thoughts on how we might do this project?

I am thinking maybe we can take a couple of days to go through our own recipe files and select one favorite from each category (as many or as few categories as you like), entree, salad + dressing, soup, vegetable, breakfast, dessert, etc.
We can then email the recipes to the group by an agreed upon date. Then, by using our "new" recipes we can each plan a meal for our families and the next day we can talk about it here.

When writing our recipes we can include a bit of history or story about where/who it came from etc.

The recipes we collect can make up a section of our binders.

What do you all think? Any ideas, suggestions?

www.time-2-sew.com

Go to Top of Page

NixKat
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kathleen
Moosup CT
USA
146 Posts

Posted - May 21 2015 :  11:11:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forgot to add: We would be making these special meals at least once a week until we have gone through all of them.

www.time-2-sew.com

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - May 21 2015 :  12:03:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kathleen, I will be watching for your new topic on sharing recipes.

Edited by - YellowRose on May 21 2015 12:05:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

893 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
893 Posts

Posted - May 21 2015 :  8:33:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Erin - I'd love to do the Book of Awesome as well...who is the author? I will search and order it from my library as well.

Shannon - I use 1 cup vinegar, 10 drops lavender essential oil to 4 cups hot water - I clean everything it - and I LOVE it!! I can even clean my hardwood floor with it :)

Love the recipe idea as well!!

Joyce Hein
Sister #6071

Edited by - GinghamGirl on May 22 2015 09:27:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - May 22 2015 :  06:28:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ordered Book of Awesome this morning from Amazon . A new paperback for $7.98 - includes S/H. I should receive it during the first two weeks of June.

Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
702 Posts

Posted - May 22 2015 :  07:32:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joyce the author is Neil Pasricha. Let's shoot for the second week in June... around June 15th to start this badge. I think that should give everyone enough time to get the book if they are interested in participating.

Also Joyce I think I might try your recipe for cleaning. I like the one I use, but I really love lavender, and I'm pretty sure I have that essential oil. Just to clarify though, I'm pretty sure you meant 10 drops of essential oil right? Not cups? Lol! :) That would sure break the bank!

- Erin - Sister # 3762
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Badges Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page