levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9236 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9236 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2016 :  09:40:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone else? I bought some seeds and have been looking over some garden plans. The weather has started to warm a tad but I saw my hyacinths up yesterday as well as the daffodils. No blooms of course just green but it has made me itchy for warmer weather and Spring clean out to begin. I'm sure my hens are ready for some Spring foraging!

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

GinghamGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

893 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
893 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2016 :  09:54:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise...yes...but we're still in the depths of winter here!

Joyce Hein
Sister #6071

April 2016 Farmgirl of the Month
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2644 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2644 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2016 :  10:04:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So are we....but it's been raining pretty steadily for the past several days and a lot of the snow is gone. I've been wanting to go to the local feed/hardware store and look at the new seeds and see what kind of bulbs they have in. I probably won't be able to plant anything outside until the Jubilee weekend, so I might tie that in to my Jubilee plans!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

ijjie
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Joan
Knoxville TN
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2016 :  10:46:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise ....I'm with you...COME ON SPRING ! Sunny and 45 here today, the bulbs are coming up and the birds are singing. Hoping this is a sign that winter is fading away for this year. Pulled a few weeds, so in the mood to be outside in the sunshine. Keep the wind at your back, and look forward to Spring. Have a good day where ever you are ladies.

Joan

Joan
Farm Girl #849
God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done. ~Author Unknown

www.muddybootsandlace.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9236 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9236 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2016 :  5:08:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I heard we are in for another storm this next week. Sure hoping they are wrong. The rain washed the snow away here. It was sunny today but still cold and windy. Thinking Spring is wishful on my part I guess, but when I see that green start peeking through I can't help it.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2016 :  2:52:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm ready. This weekend has been such a tease. It was almost 60 yesterday. We're buying 1/2 acre behind our house. That will give us 2.2 acres altogether I think, which is not a lot for most of you farmgirls, but for this former suburban girl, it is! So J is planning to finally put a chicken coop back there, and majorly expand the gardening. But also we'll have a baby this spring, so we'll see! Anyway it's been a much talked of spring.

- Erin - Sister # 3762
Farmgirl of the Month - March 2016
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2644 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2644 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2016 :  2:59:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think it's the size of the acreage that's important...it's how you use it. My husband grows several hundred acres of bluegrass and I've been wracking my brain trying to think of just a little area on the farm that I could plant a garden...even a small one. And if I could plant something under one of the pivots, even better. He might be surprised when he finds something other than grass coming up along the edges of his fields! Haha

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

peskybrunette
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

April
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2016 :  5:32:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am! I just sheared one of my goats (murdered my clippers!) and have to do my little girl once the new clippers come in! I am excited that one of my goats in getting ready to kid and we added a kidding pen to the goat barn. Started my planting today too! Next step, is prepping for chickens! :)

~April B.
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

893 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
893 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2016 :  5:43:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fun, Erin!! Very exciting!!

Joyce Hein
Sister #6071

April 2016 Farmgirl of the Month
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

364 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
364 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2016 :  09:56:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, I am excited for all of you girls, that are experiencing the first of Spring. Goats, babies, land, gardens! Oh, my!

We had one day in the 50's and now back to 30's and damp chill. Since we are in the woods we still have about 8 inches of snow to melt. Well I still am getting Spring Fever!

Looking at my yard anew as a grand daughter has asked to get married in our yard. Then too, I am reading Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. I don't know why I thought I wouldn't like it. I've heard of it for so long; but, thought it would just be another book of lectures. However, I am enjoying it very much!

Hugs to all of you!

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2644 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2644 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2016 :  10:07:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Judith, that book is one of the next on my list. I've been wondering if I would like it as well. How far into it are you? What's been one of the things you've liked most about it so far?

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9236 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9236 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2016 :  11:24:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am just biding my time till it is warm enough for us to order our baby chicks!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

364 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
364 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2016 :  1:33:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Debbie, I liked that she didn't start out as someone who already knows it all. It is actually a very down to earth story/memoir. I think its a humorous as well as serious look at topics that become more and more important to me each year. Right now, I feel that I could have been their new neighbor. I thing this is a true family/community adventure. There is an added bonus of recipes, meal plans, and a pretty extensive list of references/reading material which I am already finding enticing. I think you might like this one.

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon

Edited by - forgetmenot on Feb 22 2016 1:35:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2644 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2644 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2016 :  1:47:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm looking forward to reading it. Amazon should have it here in a couple of days.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9236 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9236 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2016 :  4:26:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have this book but haven't read it through. May have to give it another go.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2016 :  05:44:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle years ago. I remember liking it, except for one part. She was talking about having a guest over and asking if they wanted anything specific to eat while they were there, and they said bananas. Then she explained to her guest how irresponsible it was to buy fruit that wasn't local, etc. I might be remembering it harsher than it was written, but I just thought that was so rude! Even if it is true... :)

- Erin - Sister # 3762
Farmgirl of the Month - March 2016
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

364 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
364 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2016 :  07:58:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Erin, that's just what I thought the entire book was going to be like. Maybe, I'll feel that way yet. So far, so good.

I didn't get very far into The Secret Life of Beeseither. However, I would like to try that again too.

I sort of "judge a book by its cover" sometimes. I agree with you on the point of being too harsh sometimes. I don't think I could ever treat a guest that way.

Farmgirl sister #3926

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9236 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9236 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2016 :  3:28:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never got very far in it. I will have to put it back in my to be read pile. It is ever growing. So many books, so little time.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kymomma4
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

RoDonna
Frankfort Kentucky
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2016 :  6:22:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't get very far in Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. I may have to try again too. I did get to the part where she talked a lot about her asparagus.

I'm excited that I get my chicks on Friday. It's my gift from DH. He's getting a coop for me too and he and my dad are putting it together. We're suppose to be getting snow again tonight. I love snow but I'm ready to get busy on getting more raised beds out. Waiting is so hard!

Farmgirl #2361
"Blessed is the farmgirl who helps make the world a better and healthy place" ~ Me

"For she is clothed with dignity and strength and without fear of the future"-Proverbs 31:25
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2016 :  7:07:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are like many of you. Our fruit trees are blooming, but they also bloomed in November. We have planted Sugar snap peas twice, and not a plant or tendrils one. I planted radishes, No show! I planted spinach and lettuce, again they never came up. My onions are finally looking like they like their new soil home. They have been in the ground for six weeks. I planted turnips, pitiful little crop about three inches tall. We have been cold. We have been in the 60s and 70s, and now we are cold again. Warm sun today but cold wind. Last year we lost two plantings to massive hail storms. We want to grow some veggies, but it is discouraging. I planted lettuce again last Friday, I hope my seed did not wash away.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9236 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9236 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2016 :  06:29:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are doing raised beds this year, RoDonna. We had success doing the flowers bed that way so I asked dh if we could do the garden this way. Still trying to figure out where to put it though.

Marilyn, I can see how that would be disheartening to lose your planting twice. I hope you can get something in soon and get a good crop going.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2016 :  7:13:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well girls spring is coming because I heard honking three evenings ago, honking geese heading north. Yea!!!

Also, all is right with nature because one of my Wyandotte hens went bloody last Saturday. We will see if she is rewarded for her time when her 21-24 days have passed. Our seven pulleys
look like grown ups almost. They are so pretty. That mom hid out in the old garage until her babies hatched. It is fun to watch this happen, how protective they are of their babies. I tried the incubator once but after my babies grew up they were constantly picked on by the others. None survived. Even moving them to separate pens, and sperate houses did not help. So I decided to let God do his work, not me.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Feb 25 2016 7:15:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9236 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9236 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2016 :  7:43:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, We incubated our chicks once. We don't have any roosters so we mail order them now.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9236 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9236 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2016 :  06:40:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, here we are a month later and I think Spring, at least on the calendar, has arrived. The daffodils are blooming and the hyacinths and our magnolia tree are all bloomed too. I noticed yesterday my tulips are up but no buds yet. Our dinner plate or tulip magnolia, whichever you call it, is in bud. Lilacs are showing some green now too. I was a bit concerned as we had snow on Monday but it didn't stick around except for on our cars. I just didn't want to lose all the pretty blooms. Now if it would just warm up a tiny bit so we could stop using the heater!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Mar 24 2016 06:41:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

guineahen
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Andrea
Hawley Pa
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2016 :  04:26:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know Spring is here cause can hang clothes out again. Ewes filling out. I am excited but don't feel ready for Spring-like I am not on top of everything that needs done. Anybody else feeling that?
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9236 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9236 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2016 :  07:47:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andrea, I am definitely not on top of everything that needs to be done. I feel like I am going in 20 different directions sometimes. I have been writing things down in my planner to try to keep track of what needs done when. Of course you can never be sure how a day will go around here. LOL! Easter has come to early for me this year and has thrown me off considerably.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic So ready for Spring Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: