levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9265 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9265 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2015 :  06:26:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought it would be nice to have a spot to share what we do or how we decorate for the seasons. Or to share what we like most about certain ones.

I know we already talked about how we decorate for the 4th of July. But Summer is not over. I do look forward to fall but don't really start thinking about decorating for it until August.

Would love to know if you keep your patriotic decor out or change it after the 4th. I usually keep mine out until Labor Day is over and then I start in on Fall.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2015 :  08:05:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great idea Denise! Sadly, not much decorating going on for me at the moment. I'm looking forward to seeing what my fellow farm sisters have been up to in that department!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9265 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9265 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2015 :  08:07:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Me too Carole! Looking forward to seeing what great ideas everyone shares.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2015 :  08:23:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With moving on Monday, my July 4th and summer decorations never made it out. For Summer, I like flowers, flip flops and beach decor :) A couple years ago my hubby made a wind chime with my kids, out of seashells, for one of the books we were reading. I blogged about it here - http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/2013/04/bfiar-i-am-artist.html

This is the wreath I am hoping to make after we move - https://www.pinterest.com/pin/205758276700584484/

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3460 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3460 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2015 :  08:57:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, I love this idea of a season's topic for decorating! My pattern is to keep my Americana stuff up from Memorial Day to August. Then in August, I get my apple things out and a few back to school items. Early apples can be found in various states these days. Some are cooking and some are for eating. Because I love all things apple, by August I can't wait another moment to start my own Apple Festival! LOL!! As soon as we hit the official Fall Equinox in September, all things Fall come out in abundance and stay until the end of November. With our temperatures just cooling off by Thanksgiving, I hate to give up my Fall decor until December is here. I squeeze every moment out of the season!

Anyone else here nuts about Apples?? By the way, I found KiKu apples from New Zealand in the grocery store yesterday. They were beautifully patterned and I purchased a few ,and wow, are they crisp and juicy! Normally I don't buy apples from so far away because they usually are expensive and not great. However, these little beauties were too nice to pass up.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9265 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9265 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2015 :  10:20:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love apples Winnie. They used to be a lot of my decor but when my mom found bless her, she went crazy and bought everything she saw apples. Tacky and all. Not the look I was going for and that sorta ended it for me. I still like them but I go more with colors and a few accents of apples. I love the different stitching patterns they have for them. I do go kind of crazy in Fall with decorating. After Christmas it is what I have the most decorations of for the house.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Alicia
IN
358 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2015 :  1:20:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
About the only decorating we do (with small boys, nothing stays nice) is our table center.

Many Blessings- Alicia #5232
https://derbauernhofsite.wordpress.com
VLOG- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6rAaWB8U8t13yBZCd-nwLA
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DandeeRose Farmgirl Accessories and more!
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9265 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9265 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2015 :  6:38:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I understand Alicia. I didn't do much decorating when my children were young. Plus, we were in the military and I didn't like to pack anymore than I had to when moving time came.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2015 :  05:44:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I keep my red, white and blue up most of July. I don't do a lot of decorating but always change out little accents, especially in the kitchen, like potholders, towels, placemats, that kind of thing. I do have a garden flag by the front porch that I change every month. The one for August has bees on it. Now that I'm home more, I'd like to do more decorating, so I love hearing everyone's ideas!

Happy Day!
Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3460 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3460 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2015 :  4:08:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it would be nice if people can post photos of whatever little seasonal decorating they do along with telling us what they put together. It would be just another way to get to know each other a bit more.

Hehe, Denise, another apple fan in the HenHouse!! You are so lucky because apples grow naturally right up your way and you can get fresh ones as soon as they get to roadside stands and markets!!

Alicia, when my girl were little, I put my seasonal decorations across the mantle, decorated an indoor grapevine wreath in my kitchen, and used fun kitchen towels.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9265 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9265 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2015 :  6:28:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have a place about 2 miles down the road where we get our apples Winnie. The only thing they do that I don't like is they hold their apples in cold storage and so late in the season they will still have them available but once they take them out of cold storage they go bad quickly.

I have my Mom's hutch now and I try to decorate that for each season, Problem is, it is next to the doorway coming into the dining area and so it has a tendency to be a catchall. No matter how many times I move stuff. They seem to think I do that to make room for them to put more there. LOL!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3460 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3460 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2015 :  11:18:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, that apple storage strategy sounds like it isn't a good one for the type of apple they grow. Anyhow, maybe you can locate another grower who can offer you a better product? Today, I was sort of scheming about apple projects!! Hehe, in my world, Apple Season is just a few weeks away! Do you like the Brach's Candy Corn in the Apple flavors? Mmmm, pretty good!

Speaking of Brach's Candy Corn, which happens to be my favorite, I noticed last year it is now made in Mexico! Wut??? Yep! Phooey!!! Jelly Belly does make candy corn and Autumn mixes that you can order online if there isn't a store in town that sells it. It is all made in California but it gets pricey to order and pay for shipping as well. I did it last year just to try out the product and it was good.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9265 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9265 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2015 :  1:34:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, I have never tried the apple flavored candy corn. I didn't know there was such a thing. To bad they sent the work to Mexico instead of keeping it here. Why do companies think we need to send our food out and back again? I have heard all about the meat being sent to China to be processed now. YUK! I get my meat local from an organic farmer.

I will have to see if I can find the Jelly Belly ones around here. You are making me want Fall to hurry up and get here. I am fighting a headache from the heat here today. Drinking lots of water. I have an apple project that I started a while back that I need to finish up. I just need to fin the pattern for it and get it done. Now you have me thinking about these projects.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2015 :  7:05:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm an apple lover, too. Denise, you come on over in the fall, we have a fantastic family farm and orchard right nearby, and their apples are yummy! Hope your headache is better.:(

Winnie, I also think photos would be nice. I love seeing people's homes, inside and out. I'll try to take a picture if my porch decorations, although they've taken a beating with the lousy weather we've had. I had to take some of the nicer things down, like the beautiful bunting Julie made. But it still looks pretty nice.

Happy Day!

Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Alicia
IN
358 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2015 :  05:04:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wish I had a mantle Winnie! I keep meaning to embroider plenty of seasonal towels, but I never get to it.

Many Blessings- Alicia #5232
https://derbauernhofsite.wordpress.com
VLOG- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6rAaWB8U8t13yBZCd-nwLA
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DandeeRose Farmgirl Accessories and more!
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3460 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3460 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2015 :  05:25:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amy, you and Denise could schedule a Farmgirl Apple Festival together one Saturday and get apples, eat apple pie,drink apple cider, and take photos for sharing here!

Alicia, I have a neighbor who wanted a fireplace but didn't have one so she took an old vintage mantle(found cheap), sanded it and repainted it, placed it as a focal point in their living space, painted a piece of plywood black and placed it as an inside backdrop , and then created a hearth. They used it to decorate for the seasons(she has 9 kids) and hang all of the Christmas stockings on it. Then, in this store in North Carolina, I saw where they did something similar. Again, they took an old mantle and placed it on the wall in a living space, added a black backdrop of painted wood, then made a stack of wood like you were going to start a fire, added pine cones, and then wove a strand of those mini orange lights around the wood and pine cones to look like a fire. The mantle top had a fall leaf garland and a few gourds and mini pumpkin. It was the cutest set up ever and made the room look and feel just like a cozy fire was lit. So, you can have a portable "fire place" for just a little work. My neighbor's kids loved their faux fireplace set up and it looked
absolutely darling in their home. I do have a fireplace in our family room, but because we don't have that many cold months to actually build fires, I make the wood stack, pine cone, mini light set up just to "turn on a fire" to make the room feel cozy at night. So, when I decorate the mantle for Fall in early September(when we are still dying of heat and humidity down here@#!) the faux fireplace look just looks too cute with the decorations! Where there is a will, there is a Farmgirl way!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6005 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6005 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2015 :  09:09:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cute Idea, My place has a fireplace, I used when I first move in but it doesn't have a mantle so can't put anything up there.

I have plants in front of it and it looks pretty there.

Have a good morning.

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9265 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9265 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2015 :  6:31:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We used to have a fireplace but we used it as our main source of heat and most of the heat went right up the chimney. We changed it out for our old woodstove. I do miss the mantle for decorating but I have a large shelf in my dining room that I keep a collection of Currier and Ives bowls from my mom.I n the fall I put my garland of leaves there and also some candles. Looks very nice and keeps me from missing the mantle. My son enjoys it because he says it makes the room cozy in the fall. He enjoys that I decorate so much for fall. I hear about it if I mention that I might not decorate for some reason. I always end up doing it because he will work his way around to getting me in the mood for it. Be it music or whatever he knows which buttons to push to get me going. LOL!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2015 :  7:09:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a mantle but haven't decorated it much except at Christmastime. It's not very big (everything in my house is small!) but it looks pretty when it's decorated. This past Easter I did decorate it somewhat. Here's the picture I promised of my front porch. As I said, it's been a little beaten up by the weather, and I had to take the nicer things down or they'd have been ruined. (Julie, the beautiful bunting you made was right across the front, but the wind took it down, and I can't reach to put it back up myself.) But you get the idea. Now, who else has a picture to share:)?

Happy Day!

Edited by - Song Sparrow on Jul 07 2015 7:37:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9265 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9265 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2015 :  02:48:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your porch looks great! I had bought a banner and forgot to put it up. As soon as the storms coming through pass, I will put it out. But Winnie has me thinking about Fall now.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jul 08 2015 02:49:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3460 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3460 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2015 :  05:37:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amy, your porch looks very festive and welcoming !! So cute !!

Hehehe, Denise, we Fall lovers will take even the slightest encouragement in blazing hot July to start planning and dreaming about Fall fun!! It is darn right contagious!!!!

Amy, any mantle looks cute with a little fun seasonal inspiration, I think. They always display buntings well too.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9265 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9265 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2015 :  10:00:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Winnie, yes it is!! I was down in the basement looking for my jam jars and ran across some of the Fall decorations. Good thing I didn't have time to look them over or I'm afraid some of them may have made their way back up with me.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3460 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3460 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2015 :  12:33:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hahahahaha, Denise!!! I do understand the temptation of those fall decorations! I have a wee confession to make: one scarecrow escaped out of the box the other day! Oh that cute face...how could I say no? Besides, I told myself that plenty of gardens have scarecrows in them now, so even though I don't have a garden, the fact is scarecrows can be seen right now. Right?? He is kinda cute grinning over there on the antique stove at me all the time. And...he keeps asking when I am going to bring out his friends?? I am trying to hold firm but feel that weakening coming on. It is indeed a sickness or addiction, not sure which. But fortunately, I am not alone!! LOL!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9265 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9265 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2015 :  6:09:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh yes that scarecrow can be out! Gardens yes that sounds good.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

729 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
729 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2015 :  04:18:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could be a scarecrow working on his suntan! Hee Hee! :)

Happy Day!

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9265 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9265 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2015 :  07:37:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We do what we have to do to make it work!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jul 10 2015 07:38:15 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Seasons Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic