Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Sitting & chatting on the front porch - July 2016
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Sitting & chatting on the front porch - July 2016 Next Topic
Page: of 5

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2016 :  06:37:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone,

Gorgeous day here in the way Northeast of New York.

This weekend is the annual July 4 festivities in the Village of Rouses Point. Lots to do on this weekend with a big parade on Sunday evening followed with fireworks. Is anything going on in your area?

Happy 4th of July!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6011 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6011 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2016 :  08:42:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are having a parade on Monday in Ferndale and our Community is walking in handing out little flyers for our upcoming Community BBQ.
Fireworks go on later that night.

Last year it was so clear I could see them from my yard. Hopefully so again this year.

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2016 :  12:47:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it is great that even in a world of chaos, people still love to celebrate AMERICA.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

420 Posts

Brenda
Jackson MI
USA
420 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2016 :  07:22:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are going to have a quiet 4th this year. Just me and my DH with his 95 year old mom and our daughter. Bea is coming to our house for the afternoon. At her age she stills walks about 2 miles a day. She has short term memory loss, but seems to be quite healthy otherwise. Love her!

Farm Girl Hugs,
Brenda

Each day we add to our legacy-good or bad. Our Daily Bread
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2016 :  08:08:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is amazing, Bea is doing so well. My uncle recently turned 103, and up until a year and a half ago he was still quite active. I think he shut down because his son moved in and took over. Sadly he is now living in a home for the elderly, while his son remains nearby in his home.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6011 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6011 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2016 :  6:20:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is sad that your Uncle's son moved in, and at 103 he probably really misses his home.
All those memories, all those things he has lived through, How awesome. Do you ever visit him and learn all his history?
That would be so cool to sit there and listen to him.

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2016 :  8:11:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Several years ago, when my mother was sick, they would come to Texas and stay with us. It was fun to cook supper for them each evening. I was teaching, so I was up and gone before they got up. But we had good visiting time in the evenings. His wife was my mother's sister. She taught me basic knitting when I was thirteen. He is no longer able to walk, can barely see, & can barely hear. He sleeps about twenty hours each day. His son suffered a stroke about thirty years ago and has some paralysis on one side. When my uncle became unable to stand and walk, his son was struggling. Someone reported them, and my uncle had to be moved to insure that he received good care. My uncle is waiting for Jesus to return.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6011 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6011 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2016 :  10:53:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am glad to hear he is waiting for Jesus to return. 103 is a long time to live. I just hope the care home is reliable and caring. I am not fond of them. I have seen them at their worst. I am sorry to hear about his too. How Sad for both.
Where do they live.

I was on face book tonight and the weather channel had a post in Texas and it showed their fireworks tonight. They were beautiful and I got to see the whole thing. Very pretty and it lasted about 30 minutes. Neat, because I am not going out to watch any here.

Well take care of yourself and Your in my prayers.
Good night Marilyn.

hugs and blessings and love.

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2016 :  05:17:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My cousin says they chose a small home that only has a few people. I hope it is good, also. So far it sounds good.
They live on the desert, southern California.
Perhaps you saw the fireworks at Addison, near Dallas. I think they are a big deal.
HAPPY Fourth of July!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6011 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6011 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2016 :  6:59:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Addison sounds familiar, It was good to see. From what I hear Ferndale has decided not to shoot them off this year. Fortuna had theirs last night and Eureka is supposed to have theirs tonight.It is clear so I might see some from home.

I am not going out.

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9301 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9301 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2016 :  09:53:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Too hot to sit on the front porch today! Sitting inside with the ac going, a glass of ice water and a book. Will have to water the garden this evening when the temps drop a tad. Hope everyone is enjoying their summer!

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4653 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4653 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2016 :  6:32:13 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Weather in Michigan is SO much cooler than in Texas. We are thinking of getting a summer home in Michigan. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

871 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
871 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2016 :  7:09:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We finally got some much needed rain last night and again tonight :) So thankful for that! Two nights I didn't have to water all of our flowers. God does a much better job of watering than I do.
It's been hot here for this time of year. Maybe just an early Summer, which might mean an early Fall :)! However I do love all the flowers and fresh fruits and veggies that Summer brings, just don't like being hot!

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3460 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3460 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2016 :  05:22:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are sweltering here in the Florida heat and humidity! While this is normal for us, it gets old quickly and I am already dreaming of Fall!!! LOL!! Ohh, Linda, I bet those days in Michigan are lovely compared to us down here in the deep South. I understand Texas is broiling too.

Ruth, I would love to know that we were going to have an early Fall! LOL!! I hope all of those apples at Mercier orchards are getting what they need for a wonderful upcoming season. Mmmmmm, I am thinking of those early Ginger Golds for a snack or maybe an apple crisp!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4653 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4653 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2016 :  05:51:51 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Prayers needed today for the City of Dallas after snipers killed 4 Dallas police officers and 1 DART officer last night after a peaceful demonstration.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2016 :  06:05:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Such a tragic night. So sad. All Lives Matter. God is sad. We are all sad.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1196 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1196 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2016 :  09:27:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Such a sad day. Everyday when I watch the news I say what is happening to our country. Makes me want to stay on my dirt road even more. Last week we had our county fair. The granddaughters did wonderful in all ther projects and even brought home grand champion in market chickens. Between babysitting Oliver so my daughter could give the girls her undivided attention, attending fair activities and helping the girls with a few of their projects it was a busy week and asI left the fair grounds Saturday night with my bucket of mini donuts and my bag of kettle corn I was ever so glad it was done for the year. I do have to go to the grandsons beef show nd sale at their fair but have a bit of a break before than.

This week has been devoted to making the garden weed free again, picking peas, cucumbers, broccoli and zucchini and having a yummy salad everyday with fresh lettuce. Have had lots of farm chores to get done and have cattle to move this afternoon. My sister was visiting from Arizona last week and on her drive to North Dakota she stopped in Colorado and picked me up fresh apricots, Bing and Rainer cherries. They were so yummy. I canned what we couldn't eat before they went bad.

I think of you all everyday and look forward to my days slowing down and I will have more time to visit.

Have a great day everyone.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2016 :  09:36:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TexasGran

Julie, a new group of air force personnel just recently arrived at the base in Minot. One of the young men is from Stephenville. I did not realize what that base is until now, even though my husband's cousin was there when we married in 1962.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3460 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3460 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2016 :  12:07:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What has happened this week in violent gun deaths is so sad and horrible! When will all this killing stop? We are the only wealthy and democratic nation on earth that keeps gunning down innocent people every week!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

871 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
871 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2016 :  6:49:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, We have had some much needed rain the last 3 days, so hoping that the apples will be happy! Merciers has grown sooo much, I don't even like to go there much :(! Not what it was when the elder Merciers were living!! I haven't seen Tim much lately when in there as his wife has major health issues. So the "kids" and grands seem to be running the business. They are growing by leaps and bounds, which I guess is good for them. Just wish we could go back a few years to what it was before becoming too commercial ! Blue Ridge is changing very fast as well. Not the quiet, peaceful place it was when we moved here 18 years ago. We were at Dunkin last Saturday, and the manager was fussing about ALL the people. She said I just want to tell them"we are full now, go home"! Telling the tourist to go home, but without them we would be in a mess, as that is the main industry here! Still love it and am thankful every day that we get to live here :)!

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6011 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6011 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2016 :  6:08:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today was rainy or should I say more misty than rainy, but it was wet just the same. Tomorrow our Community is supposed to have a BBQ In the town park, It is supposed clear up. There will be Hamburgers and Hot dogs and Chili and pasta salad and other goodies. Were going to have a little band and vendors all in our new down town park. Out my back door and across main street. Hope for lots of people and fun.

I hope you are all doing well and having a good Saturday.
love you all
darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2016 :  6:32:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a fun day Darlene. Enjoy.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6011 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6011 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2016 :  6:53:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We hope so because for years and ever, We have had this Deep Pit BBQ and it was named Swauger Day which is what a little RR station that was once there was called. I don't thing anyone is around anymore with that name. We want to try something different and will cost our Chamber less money. We lost a lot on the meat last year. We shall see.
The story continues tomorrow....
hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2016 :  07:00:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning,

Gorgeous day here! It's been a wonderful but hectic weekend for me. On Saturday morning we headed down to Lake George to pick up Pumpkin (that's where she's working for the summer) and headed off to Massachusetts for a surprised 80th birthday dinner (my mother in law turned 80 on Sunday) in the evening. Left early Sunday morning to drop off Pumpkin back in Lake George. We're talking over 12 hours of driving within 48 hours. I'm still exhausted! I've log over 1,300 miles on my car last week! It was so worth it! It's not every day you turn 80! Aside from that things are quiet.

Darlene do continue with the story!

Catch you later! Cheers!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2016 :  11:50:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am glad you had a safe trip. It is so hot and humid here in Texas. For the first time ever I am wondering if my roses and crepe myrtles will survive. Our abundant early rains made everything grow so much, and now when I water it never seems to be enough. We have lost three hens to heat stress. It is HOT.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6011 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6011 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2016 :  7:28:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you had a good time and trip Carole, Long but nice.

Marilyn I am sorry to hear about your hens poor things. I hope things cool down abit for you.

We have had a good week so far here. Sunday Our Community had a BBQ with Hambergers and hot dogs. It was all good and had quite a bit of food and people.I didn't win anything at the Silent Auction.
I went to A Senior Citizen Soft ball game tonight. It was a lot of fun. Our team lost by 1, but it was fun.

It was good day! God is good!

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Sitting & chatting on the front porch - July 2016 Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page