TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2016 :  10:46:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My question is this: What brand of Essential oils do you think is best? Which ones have you had the best success with. I have some, but need some different kinds. Since I am relatively new to using them, I thought we might get a discussion going and some like me could learn from others. Thanks.

Texasgran

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4653 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4653 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2016 :  11:03:45 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'd love to learn more about essential oils. So far, I don't use any. How do you use them?

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2016 :  11:33:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ditto what Linda said! I don't know much about it except whether I like the smell or not! lol One craft I would like to get into is soap making. Knowledge about essential oils would be valuable. Hope someone can chime in!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2016 :  1:56:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had used Lemongrass in homemade laundry detergent, and Lavender, and peppermint. I am trying to learn more. I made some dog shampoo the other day and Baylee used it on her bird dog. She asked me to make more for his next bath. Fleas are horrible this year. I am hoping some of our group has "recipes" to mix up, etc.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2016 :  3:40:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am a consultant with Young Living... My understanding is that DoTerra "stole" their formulas to start their company and a law suit is supposedly ongoing. But all that is moot point... as long as you find a GOOD source of PURE essential oils, I think you are safe. I prefer ones that are safe internally as well, as they are generally safer and more effective/pure. Unfortunately, they are also normally more expensive, the more pure they are.

The greatest thing I have learned regarding essential oils, is that though "natural" and "more safe," they still can potentially have side effects and have consequences, and should be thoroughly researched! For example, peppermint is great for breathing issues and lowering fevers... HOWEVER it has also been linked to infant deaths!!! So I now only use it on my children that are 5 and up... When it comes to children/infants, I prefer aromatherapy opposed to internal or topical...

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2016 :  4:05:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon, what does therapeutic mean, as opposed to aroma therapy oils, which I assume go in an infused, etc.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2016 :  6:21:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
therapeutic oils are generally ones that are to be used for fighting illness or encouraging health and wellness... These are the ones used for medicinal purposes be it to boost the immune system to prevent illness or to help treat. Aromatherapy generally speaks of those that are used only via smell... For example, lavender can elicit feelings of restfulness when you smell it, as well as relaxation. However, when applied topically, it can actually help with migraines.

Because you are using aromatherapy oils for diffusion purposes, diluting the oils in a carrier oil is not as big of a deal... However, it is a much bigger deal for ones you intake.

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2016 :  6:47:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Shannon. I ordered the Young Living for my son's family last Christmas. Then I ordered my own set after the first of the year. I also have a set from Emergency Essentials and various other ones from the health food store, etc. The kids know about the benefits of lavender with sleep. RC helped me get over my Winter cold pretty rapidly. I must get more of that one. Thanks for your help.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6011 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6011 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2016 :  7:44:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Shannon, I heard the same thing about Young Living but heard also that The Doterra was a part of Young living and split off and started Doterra,
Young living has more product than Doterra though. I probably will go with Doterra because a friend of mine sells it but I do like what young living has.
Lavender really works well for sleeping and calming. I bought a Frankincense necklace and really liked that.
Anyway I thing there is something good about essential oils.

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2016 :  7:58:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love rose and found a "recipe" for a lavender and rose spray for the bedroom. It worked but I probably sprayed too much because I could have slept a lot longer. Now just a spray or two in the air. Not on the pillows will be tried.We will see...

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6011 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6011 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2016 :  8:05:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like it was a bit potent. Always a learning curve :D

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4653 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4653 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2016 :  8:48:42 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Marilyn - would you please send me that Rose/Lavender recipe?

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic Essential Oils Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page