Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 By a warm crackling fire rocking away - Dec 2016
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic By a warm crackling fire rocking away - Dec 2016 Next Topic
Page: of 5

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3460 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3460 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2016 :  4:40:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The other day I was in Starbucks and I saw where they had a Christmas tree in the back of the main room with tags on it. When I looked closer, they were names of people that the Salvation Army was doing a Christmas drive for needy children. I grabbed a tag and it was for a 5 year old little boy. His wish list included a bicycle and his need list included a winter coat, socks and clothes. It has been over 30 years since this Santa got a bike for my youngest daughter for under the tree. Needless to say, I had no idea what was out there or what things cost. Several places had bikes for older children but no little ones. My next stop was Toys R Us and I found this little bike on sale for a very reasonable price. Still unsure, I saw a Mom with a little girl and asked her what she thought. The little girl was 5 and so we got her on the bike to see how it rode and she liked it. That was the confirming fact that this particular bike would be appropriate for a little guy. I was so excited to get it today!! It felt like being Santa all over again. In addition to the bike, I had some instore cash from Kohl's so I headed over there and found a winter coat and nice package of socks that were on sale and were on his need list. It all worked out great!

It was so much fun taking my little bike and stuff to day to Starbucks for the Salvation Army to pick up ( per the directions of what to do with purchases). Here is the cutest little blue bike all ready for Christmas morning!!

I even went to the hardware store and purchased a wrench that fits the bolts to remove the training wheels and raise the handle bars and seat if needed. This Santa tried to cover all the bases!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2016 :  4:42:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Shannon do you remember these. You made them for me in a swap last year. You made more, and they are all on tree #2. I love them. Thank you for your talent.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1196 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1196 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2016 :  4:46:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's lovely Winnie. Doesn't it just warm your heart to be able to be that special Santa. The Saturday after Thanksgiving is our traditional day to go pick out out Christmas tree and shop for the Toys for Tots drive. My husband loves to fill his cart with farm toys and this year the need was for teenage gifts so I filled my cart with gifts teenage boys would appreciate. We always love filling up that box in the front of the store.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2016 :  4:47:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yea Winnie, most people would not think of a wrench. You did good. The little boy will love the bike. Bless You.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2016 :  5:45:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie - what an awesome Christmas that little boy is going to have <3

Marilyn - I DO remember those :) I am so very very glad you enjoy them :)

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2016 :  6:33:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie. That little guy is going to love his trike. When I was little in ww2 metal was given to the military got it. Bikes and trikes were scarce. I remember our whole kindergarten had to share one trike. I still have the bicycle I got when I was 14. It is so nice of everyone to give to others. That's what Christmas is about anyway.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9301 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9301 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2016 :  03:38:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, that is a beautiful bike and it definitely going to make that little boy's Christmas. I'm sure the coat and socks will be much appreciated too.
Here the Salvation Army does families. We go down and pick a paper up that has a family and what they all need. Sizes and ages and we have to choose the gifts. Usually it is a new outfit, a coat and a toy or whatever the age appropriate thing might be. I always took the kids and now grandkids with us so I don't have to guess at things. They enjoy going and helping to choose things for the children. The Salvation Army always takes food donations so they supply bags of groceries along with those gifts. They do quite a lot in our local town.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2016 :  06:20:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, some child will be trilled with such a beautiful bike. I don't do the Santa trees but I do donate to local food pantries and give money to the Salvation Army for their soup kitchen.

I also give to my grocery store's food drive. They put together a paper sack of food for $5 with the items listed on the front. It's easy to pick up a sack or two when shopping. Then there's the Post Office food drive where the postman picks up a bag of food. I give to all the food drives. I remember what's it like growing up and being hungry.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3460 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3460 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2016 :  10:20:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank-you everyone for sharing so many stories of supporting the many in need! Farmgirls have the BIGGEST HEARTS!! There are always so many people in need and it makes me happy that everyone has organizations supporting their community families. It is important work all year long and together we can do more.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2016 :  10:30:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie you are right about it being a year long need. Today the brown bag I choose had two cans of tuna, a jar of peanut butter, and saltine crackers. I like that they do basic needs as well as holiday fare.

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2016 :  11:20:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Often those in need are right under our noses. Many years ago when my son was in high school and I was teaching in the same small school, December was bitterly cold. One Saturday morning, I added wood to the stove, got dressed and heard a knock on the door. There stood a boy and girl. They had walked a mile in the cold to ask me to drive them into town, 20 miles away, to the elementary school. We all got in the car and as I drove them I asked some questions.(My husband says I am too nosey, I say that teachers ask questions.) They had a letter that qualified them to get a sack of toys. There were younger children at home. When we got to the school they said they would go in alone. When they came back to the car, there were toys, slightly used, chosen for the younger children, and a box of navel oranges. Even though they did not receive trinkets, they were delighted with the oranges. I asked if they needed to go elsewhere. They needed to stop at a convenience store as we left town to get a can of tomato sauce for their mom. They counted their coins to see how much they had. I put in a tiny bit more. They were excited that spaghetti was on the menu at home. After I dropped them off, I went home and put some jars of my summer garden bounty into boxes, along with Some sweets I had made, and drove back over to their house. Their dad worked on a dairy,but the wealthy owner did not pay him much at all. I saw these kids at school and had taught two of the younger ones...but until that day I had no idea they had so little. We did not have any money to give them because at that time we were struggling ourselves. That taught me that when we give locally, it helps real people in need.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Dec 07 2016 11:45:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2016 :  11:37:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awwwwwwwww Winnie! I wish we could see his face on Christmas Morning! We have Toys for Tots all over our area and an Angel tree at the mall. I try and help as much as I can and The Memphis Food Bank. The Oldies radio Station here does a Toy drive every Year for a week at a car dealer ship and they have Santa and real reindeer for kids to see when they drop off Toys, they usually have a goal they need to meet and they go over it every Year!!

Marilyn those ornaments are darling Shannon made!
Connie
Imagine....#3392

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2016 :  11:57:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn your story made me cry but that's okay cause crying over such a story is the right thing to do. I believe the Lord sent those kids to you. He knows who will share what they have.

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2016 :  12:00:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know Sara, I have often wondered what happened to that family. They moved on at the end of that year. That boy gave my son a $1 bill as a graduation gift, Wade was so moved, because he knew their situation. Wade took some of the other money he received and bought that boy a basketball. But he never spent that special gift.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Dec 07 2016 12:04:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2016 :  12:05:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
$1 bill for him was hard to come by. What a wonderful giving spirit he had. It will serve him well.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2016 :  12:07:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had posted before I read what you added. Your son too has a giving spirit and it speaks to his character that he saved the gift.

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2016 :  1:43:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Sara, I am always amazed at how character is built.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

sweettea59
True Blue Farmgirl

1250 Posts

Sherry
Longview Texas
USA
1250 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2016 :  3:40:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone, Shelby and I spent the afternoon wrapping gift for the foster children. My daughter's company put on a Christmas party for them every year. Its just sad that there are more and more kids every year and that is just for this area. I will start making cookies on Saturday and finish them up by Tuesday afternoon for the party that night. They have requested around 400 this year. So it will take all four days to get them finished. But to see those kids faces. It's priceless. Enjoy the little things.

Farmgirl Hugs & May all your Wishes come true.
Sherry
Farmgirl #2215
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2016 :  4:09:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do ya'll ever think about people who win the lottery what good they could do for the world! For the first time ever, somebody in Tennessee won the big jackpot!! The Robinsons lived about 20 miles from me that won that 368 millions dollars last year. They are great people we heard from their neighbors, so I know they are doing good for others, I didn't know them, but they wanted to stay in their modest house, but could not because of the traffic and danger. I never thought of the danger part. The news said, most people have to move far away where no one knows them.

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4653 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4653 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2016 :  6:21:11 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sherry - Where is the orphanage that this party is for? I didn't know there was one in your area.
Marilyn - such a neat story. Thank you for sharing.
Sara - It is good that you support the food drives. I wish some of our stores did that; I would definitely do that.
Winnie - Such a neat gift; he will love the bike. And the coat and shoes will be welcome in the cold weather that is coming soon.
Shannon - cute ornaments.

We have a local agency that supplies food and clothes to those in need. I have several coats that I will take over this week; I'm sure they will be needed. And I will see what foods they need most. When I lived in Richardson, I donated to the NETWORK of Community Ministries, and helped with the Santa toy distribution.

All communities have different needs, and we each help in the best ways we can. Farmgirls are special people.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6011 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6011 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2016 :  9:17:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I finally finished my daughters tied blanket and matching pillow covers for my grandbabies. I mailed them to her and put do not open on the package. I will wrap them when I get up to Washington and put pillows in the girls covers.
I think they will like them.

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2016 :  04:01:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You find such pretty fleece, Darlene.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3460 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3460 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2016 :  05:29:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So many beautiful and heart warming stories shared! I think we all realize that there is always a way to give to others and when we get the chance, we are reminded of what it means to love your neighbor.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2016 :  05:50:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well said Winnie.

Brookshires, the grocery store where I shop, has a community involvement policy. In the five years I have been in Paris the store has collected money for Meals on Wheels; each summer Gator-Ade for first responders; twice joined with Frito-Lay to send snacks to our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan; school supplies; Stove Top Stuffing at Thanksgiving (that's what the food bank requested); Christmas food drive - they also donate 20 turkeys to food bank's dinner. Salvation Army bell ringer is there too. Brookshires is a Texas based chain with stores in La too.

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4653 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4653 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2016 :  07:00:31 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I don't usually shop at Brookshires, but I will check with them next time I get to Greenville, Emory or Quinlan.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Project Discussions: Previous Topic By a warm crackling fire rocking away - Dec 2016 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page