Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 New Year's Eve / Day Traditions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic New Year's Eve / Day Traditions Next Topic  

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2016 :  10:24:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today I bought a pkg of fresh black-eyed peas to cook with smoked ham hock for New Year's Eve & Day. Also a bottle of Champlain. Neither black-eyed peas or Champlain are favorites of mine but I do them once a year.

Happy New Year and how do you welcome in the New Year?

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4653 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4653 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2016 :  10:26:02 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
My mother used to always say the black-eyed peas and pickled herring were to be eaten on New Years Eve. I like the herring, and sometimes do the black-eyed peas - just because. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2016 :  10:33:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, never heard of pickled herring for New Years but I would probably take the herring over black-eyed peas.

A little pickled herring with cream cheese on rye - I can see me doing that. Would have to swap the Champlain for a good Irish beer.

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4653 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4653 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2016 :  10:36:30 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
This may be a northern US (Illinois is where Mom grew up) tradition.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2016 :  10:50:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know anything about who settled Illinois but pickled herring may have a Scandinavian tie.

Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

871 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
871 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2016 :  12:05:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New Years our tradition is, Pork Roast, sauerkraut, Mashed taters, black eyed peas and applesauce. Most Southerners have Collard Greens, or some other green, not here at our house!

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2016 :  1:47:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New Year's Eve we will have appetizer type foods... some wings, buffalo chicken dip, a goat cheese log rolled in cranberries and pistachios, potato wedges, and spinach and artichoke dip. We will probably play games or watch a movie... We never last all night though, lol

New Year's Day we will be having company for dinner... we will be having ham, macaroni and cheese, roasted vegetables, cranberry sauce, yeast rolls and a peppermint brownie roll for dessert.

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2016 :  4:30:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Usually Black eyed peas, cornbread and veggies, if we have company we have ham, My dh is a vegetarian, so I eat what he eats mostly, unless we have company.

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2016 :  6:59:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One year for New Years Day dinner I served up ham, black eyed peas (for $$$ in the new year), stewed cabbage (for good luck in the new year), cornbread, a veggie tray with dip, stuffed celery, iced tea and pies. The food is what we have for every New Year's dinner...the funny part was trying to explain it to our guests. George, a roping buddy of my son is from Montana. Stoney, another roper friend was from Nebraska and of course our daughter in law from Wisconsin. They were good sports, and hungry. That was about 17 years ago. I never prepare that meal, without thinking of that year and smiling and giggling a bit.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3460 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3460 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2016 :  05:06:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Down here in Florida we do the southern meal tradition as others have described. This year, however, our close vietnamese friends have invited us to dinner so that will be a treat and totally different. I think having great old friends are the perfect blessing to starting a New Year!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2016 :  07:39:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, what a fun post to read about various New Years Traditions. BTW, I'll assume you mean Champagne and not Champlain! lol I love champagne ....

When my maternal grandmother was alive, we would celebrate at her home until her children took on the task. We would have lots of finger foods to nibble on. Waited until midnight to wish everyone a wonderful New Years ... Lots of health, love, joy, and prosperity. Some of the grown ups would chat, play cards and us kids (cousins) would play games. When my maternal grandmother passed way, it all stopped. A new tradition was to attend a New Years eve party at a hall in Montreal. The Italians do know how to throw a party, lots of food! lol

Today, I do not do anything special for New Years eve or day. Well, inventory of Fibre Junction .... that's about it. Cheers!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2016 :  07:50:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole I thought it didn't look right but it passed spell check and I didn't look it up in Webster's. Guess I need a spell check that knows what I mean and not what I write.

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4653 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4653 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2016 :  08:42:57 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I usually never make it to midnight unless I am at a party or a game night with friends.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9301 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9301 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2016 :  09:15:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure what we will do. Probably normal meals since New Year's falls on a Sunday. We always have a big Sunday dinner after church and since we already did turkey and ham for the other holidays I will do roast chicken.Putting away the Christmas things today, except for the tree. We leave it up until after New Years. This year we are bringing up all the storage bins from the basement and reorganizing everything. Big job but at least it will be clean and organized and hopefully downsized a bit down there. We have a very small basement. Only under one of the front room, the rest is crawl space. I sure wouldn't want to crawl in it though. LOL!

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3460 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3460 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2016 :  1:59:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, I just received the darling New Year's card that you made in the mail!! I love what you designed and the message on the front and back. Thank-you so much!! It just made me smile big time.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2016 :  2:05:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Winnie, I enjoyed conceiving the idea and making the cards.

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2016 :  4:55:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara I love your card. You are very creative. It made my day. Thank you.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic New Year's Eve / Day Traditions Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page