Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 By a warm crackling fire rocking away - Dec 2016
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic By a warm crackling fire rocking away - Dec 2016 Next Topic
Page: of 5

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2016 :  06:15:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Morning Everyone,

Would you believe 24 days till Christmas!!!! Gosh, seems this year went by so quickly.

I love the month of December. I enjoy looking at the festive decorations. I'm always amazed at what length some people go to decorate their homes and their trucks!! That's right, just the other day I saw a semi truck covered in Christmas light. Wish I had taken a picture. You sure wouldn't miss this truck going down the highway!

Anyway, I'm always looking for unique holiday decorations and when I saw this towel, I just had to buy it for myself!

And, I purchased this new cup to enjoy a cuppa! Perfect for enjoying a spice flavoured coffee.

I'm a big Santa fan! I love everything Santa stands for, generosity, caring, and his jolly personality! I remember as a child wanting to hide behind the stereo console just to get a peak at Santa. I didn't get a chance to do it but I sure dreamt about it! Do you have any Santa stories to share? I sure would enjoy reading about them.

Catch you later! Ho! Ho! Ho! Cheers!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein

Edited by - ceridwen on Dec 03 2016 10:42:44 AM

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9226 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9226 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2016 :  06:31:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning Carole,
Happy December! I love this month too.
That cup is so cute. I remember when I was little my mom would probably just about make it to bed, (she did all the work), and dad would get up around 5:30 to come in and wake me up to say Santa had been there. My sister was much older and we shared a room and she hated when he would do that because she liked to sleep in. Lol. My bed was near the chimney and I always thought he must really be something to come down without me hearing him. I used to lay awake as long as possible to see if I could hear him. Or at least the bells up on our roof. I'm sure it wasn't long before I was sleeping. I do remember feeling disappointment when I got to the age of finding out.
My sister didn't do Santa with her son and he always knew him as the Christmas guy. It was funny to hear him say that when he was only 3 or 4.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2016 :  06:42:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, what a wonderful story, thank you for sharing such a beautiful memory.

I raised my little Pumpkin to believing in Santa. When she was in 2nd grade, a student in her class who was a foster child (raised in a secular society) was adopted by her foster mother (single mother) whose Christian religion did not celebrate Christmas or Santa.

Once the adoption went thru (in December) the mother burst the child's bubble by telling her that Santa did not exist. I thought that so cruel (and selfish), the poor child went around telling all the kids that Santa did not exist and that it was the parents who put the gifts under the tree. You can just image, all the kids were in tears (the poor teacher).

Pumpkin came home and shared the story and asked if it was true. I told her that as long as she believed in Santa, there will be gifts under the tree from Santa. She said that she will always believe in Santa! Well, fast forward to 2016 .... she allows me to believe that she believes in Santa I love that kid!

Carole

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein

Edited by - ceridwen on Dec 01 2016 06:49:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9226 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9226 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2016 :  07:04:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole,
I think there are gentler ways to break it to children. My children always knew the Christmas Story. When we lived in Hawaii my oldest was about 3 1/2 and a friend of mine who did not do Santa with her children thought it okay for her kids to tell my daughter that there was no such thing and my friend proceeded to tell me I shouldn't lie to my kids.
My husband and I dealt with that in the most gracious way we knew how. Thirty years later we are still friends.
I think it is important for children to learn to be kind even if someone believes things differently.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4643 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4643 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2016 :  09:45:31 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well, has anyone else gotten their Social Security letter about the .3% COL increase? I did yesterday. I got the .3% increase and then they proceeded to take away additional charges due to my 2015 tax return. So -- I am getting quite a bit LESS than last year, because last year I made changes to benefit my portfolio. The government gives and takes away, and I really hate paying taxes.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2016 :  10:25:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Being part of the SPG means a lot to me. Because of a family situation holidays especially Christmas is hard and sad for me. Any strong emotion triggers MS systems in me so during the holiday season I choose to stay quiet and hang on to my peace. I may post from time to time but for the most part I am looking forward to the New Year and putting all this behind me. May the Lord bless and keep us all.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2016 :  11:20:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone,

Sara, so glad to be here for you. Yes, SPG is a wonderful group of ladies, so caring and giving. I will agree with you, extremely important to hang on to our peace. I do not let the holiday hustle and bustle get to me. I go at my own pace.

I'm thinking that DH and I need to get the xmas tree. Usually it's Pumpkin's job to choose the tree, but with Thanksgiving being so hectic (both DH and Pumpkin cleaned and put the house back to normal on Saturday after all of our guest left) we didn't get the chance to pick the tree. She'll be back mid Dec and I think that might be too late to get a tree. I so enjoy looking at a lit Christmas tree.

Keep well everyone! Enjoy the weekend! Cheers!

Carole

Edited by - ceridwen on Dec 03 2016 12:59:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2016 :  11:23:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Carole for your kind words and support. I do so appreciate being part of SPG.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3457 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3457 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2016 :  11:33:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, I have known several friends who have the same thoughts about Christmas as you. I do think in our culture there is a lot of over doing that puts unnecessary pressure on everyone. You are wise to know your triggers and focus on taking care of yourself. Enjoy the cooler weather and your walks with Annie. Next July, we , here in the southern state tiers, will be begging for the kind of weather that is cool enough to wear a light jacket and not get overheated just taking a nice walk.

Linda, I am with you and I know it is hard to see our SS security checks take a hit with this or that. For myself, I fear privatization of my SS beneftis because then I will be dependent on the fickle stock market and investment firm fees. I keep reminding myself that I must continue to always seek new frugal ideas to put into use because the cost of living isn't going to ever go back down. Thankfully here at MJF, I have learned so many good and useful ideas to stretch those dollars. Together we will all be able to live and shop smarter and smarter! I often think back on what my Mom had to do during the depression years and then the WWII rationing years when she had 6 children to feed. I wish I had an opportunity now to talk with her about what she did.

Carole, I still believe in Santa! ***wink** Why stop? It is just that my idea of Santa includes both being Santa and enjoying Santa! Works for me!! LOL!! Oh, and by the way, just in case any of you don't believe in Santa anymore, just sign up for any December swap here at MJF and enjoy what Santa sends your way. I firmly believe that Farmgirls are all Santas!! They have that giving, loving, fun, and creative festive spirit that just rivals any Santa you ever knew. I can't believe how much love and fun gets tucked into those boxes!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2016 :  12:58:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Winnie, yes I still believe in Santa! I love everything that Santa stands for! I'll have to check out that swap. I will admit, I have not been on the main forum in a month. Just busy attempting to keep up with life in general.

My favourite movie at the moment is Arthur Christmas! Ok, I'll admit it, I have a warp sense of humour! I have a lot of favourite Christmas movies/TV shows but somehow I'm on the Arthur kick right now! As a youth, I would watch every Christmas Carol movie that would come on TV. It was a December ritual for me. I have since bought most of the DVD of the movies I enjoy. So, I start a movie marathon! It's so much fun! lol

Carole

Edited by - ceridwen on Dec 03 2016 12:59:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4643 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4643 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2016 :  6:19:07 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Winnie - I, too, agree in Santa, and enjoy being Santa and experiencing Santa moments. I also agree about saving so it will last as long as we do. I've learned a lot from MJF and from all my farm sisters.

Carole - I love all the old - and new - Christmas movies and all the happy endings. My favorite is Miracle on 34th Street.

Sara - Take your time and make it your own. We are here when you need us.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6001 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6001 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2016 :  7:25:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yea Linda I got my Social Security letter and gained a dollar after they took out what they normally take.

Not nice at all.

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2016 :  06:50:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning,

As a gentle reminder. The count down has started. Santa will be coming in:

I hope you are on Santa's "good list!"

This morning, I looked outside my quilting studio window and this is what I saw:

We have a gorgeous snow fall going on! It's a large snow flake kind of day! I love the beauty of Mother Nature. It's a perfect day to spend in my quilting studio finishing up some projects.

In between quilting, I will be preparing my bags for a business retreat. I'm leaving on Wed morning for 7 days, flying to Boca Raton, Florida. I'm pretty excited about it! I do hope to be able to enjoy the warm weather and a bit of swimming in between events.

What are you up to today?

Catch you later! Cheers.!

Carole

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4643 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4643 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2016 :  06:57:30 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Last night my son finally gave me their Christmas list and he said my DIL likes Dr. Who. So this morning I ordered $44 of Dr. Who fabric and a panel to make her a quilt. I hope it comes soon enough that I can finish it before Christmas, or she may get the top and an IOU to get it quilted after Christmas! My longarm quilter MAY be able to finish it if I get it to her next week - she is pretty quick.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2016 :  09:14:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, pillow cases are a fun idea! Watch out because they are addictive. lol

Presently listening the Amy Cloud Chambers' (Song Sparrow) CD The Holiday Album by Danaher & Cloud. Such festive music. Amy is so talented! I just love it! You can check our her website here:

http://www.danaherandcloud.com

Catch you later! Cheers!

Carole

Edited by - ceridwen on Dec 05 2016 1:50:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4643 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4643 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2016 :  12:42:47 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I'm making her a pillow case, too. The 3 grandsons are also getting pillow cases with their quilts for Christmas.

I have tht album, too. Great music.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9226 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9226 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2016 :  5:48:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like everyone is busy getting ready for Christmas.
Barring nothing comes up JT and I are headed out to see the kids in Ohio. It's that time of year again! The 2 older girls birthdays are this week and next so they are celebrating them together on Saturday at The Magic Castle.
I am almost finished up with my gifts and wrapping.
My cards are all addressed and ready to go.
Look forward to spending some time enjoying this beautiful season.

Carole your view is just beautiful! I do miss getting snow for Christmas, it is hit or miss here.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Dec 05 2016 5:48:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2016 :  6:27:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, have fun with your grand daughters. Sounds like cold weather...do you keep blankets in the car like me? I don't even travel but sometimes someone needs to be warmer.Do enjoy the season and safe travels.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2016 :  07:00:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning my dear friends :) It is a beautiful brisk morning. We have a few inches of snow on the ground and the high today is a brisk 16! Hubby will be heading in to town today to pick up a table and chairs we will be borrowing from the church. Our stuff is suppose to finally get loaded on the truck today, though it was suppose to be this past Saturday. Not sure when it is going to get here! With the temps being so chilling, and having quite a few sick children, the children and I are going to continue working on Christmas presents, maybe watch some Christmas movies, make some more Christmas decorations, and enjoy the warmth and time of family :)

Hubby applied for a position at Home Depot, so hopefully we will hear from that soon. I am very thankful he is willing to work wherever, to help provide for us! I am so blessed to have him! We had debated me taking a refresher course and going back to nursing, but between the hours I would have to work, not to mention we doubt my doctors would sign off for me to work, we decided it would be best for him to find something he could do after his internship hours while he is already in town.

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6001 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6001 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2016 :  1:26:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I finished my daughters tied blanket today and made the grandbabies a pillow cover too with the same material. I will post pictures later on but I am really happy it is done and mailed to her with a Do not open on it!
Now I can work on something else. Yay!
Thanks Carole for the Christmas card. It is so cute with the three kitties on it.

Have a good day everyone.

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2016 :  1:45:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon, I am glad you are warm. I am glad your husband found some work at home depot. Men are happier when they have a daily destination called work. I guess I missed something...what kind of internship??? God bless your family.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2016 :  1:46:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darlene, I am glad you finished your projects. I have some of those looming ones myself.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2016 :  2:19:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn - Brad has to do an internship at the hospital for counseling in order to get licensed as a family and marriage counselor. Unfortunately, the internship is NON-paid, so he needs to get another job - hopefully Home Depot will work out :)

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2016 :  3:37:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is good. I did not know of his interest in counseling. My DIL' s brother in law came out of the AF and got a job flying for Menards. He flies the bosses to different places, just about every day. When Hadlee was in the hospital, he flew some of them to Dallas. While they were in meetings, he drove over to see Hadlee in Fort Worth.
I guess almost everyone has several careers in their lifetime. I know I have. No one seems to retire anymore, we just reinvent ourselves and keep on going.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Dec 06 2016 3:40:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2016 :  4:23:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brad's back could never had seen him through continuing to be a mechanic on airplanes!!! But after he got a job at the Navy Brig (prison) in 2004, God placed it in his heart to be a counselor. This internship is the last thing he has to do to finish his Master's degree and then take his licensure board.

We got good news today - our stuff is FINALLY on the moving truck and headed this way. It is going to feel like an early Christmas :)

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2016 :  4:30:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am glad he listened when God called him.
Yea, one day Soon you will have your nesting things.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Project Discussions: Previous Topic By a warm crackling fire rocking away - Dec 2016 Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page