Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 The Dog Days of Summer~ August 2018
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic The Dog Days of Summer~ August 2018 Next Topic
Page: of 3

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2018 :  12:01:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara I love Piddling Days! They are rare as I never seem to catch up with having only 4 hours of real strength a day. It's Elvis week in Memphis. People will brave that HEAT every year to sit outside all day, on the night of the Candle light Service to get a place in front of Graceland. I like Elvis, but I'm not a worshipper!

Connie.

HOt and Steamy here!!! Not helping my summer cold or allergies!!

Connie
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2018 :  04:38:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie, Wasn't he the cutest thing.!!! I was a teenager when I first heard him on radio and saw him on Ed Sullivan; then he went to Germany in the army; couldn't believe he got married over there. Looking back - compared to today's music idols and music - Elvis was pretty tame and always a gentleman.

Yesterday Bobbie and I went to our other sister Betty's house. On the way we passed corn fields. On the way back we stopped to gather some of the stalks for fall decorating but they were too tough for us to just break. Next year we will have to remember to bring big loppers. We did get some dried corn at the bottom of the stalks that the combine missed. Enough to fill my red wagon when I got home. Bobby may make a wreath. I will probably just hang some and leave rest of them in the red wagon along with a pumpkin and scarecrow it should look like fall.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9299 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9299 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2018 :  08:20:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara,
What a cute idea to put the corn in your red wagon with a pumpkin and scarecrow.
Taking Mom out to shop today. That is if she gets up before noon. She sleeps a lot later because I don't think she sleeps so well at night.

Still going on the quilt to get it finished up. Hand quilting takes a long time and it isn't very big. We have just been busy traveling and all.

Hope everyone is enjoying their summer time. I hope to get all my Fall things put out as soon as I get back from dd the end of August.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6011 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6011 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2018 :  8:51:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara that is going to be cute, I can hardly wait to see it when your done decorating.

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3460 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3460 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2018 :  10:37:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am back home and finally getting caught up on laundry and a mountain of mail and things to take care of. It is amazing how being gone for two weeks can cause ordinary things to pile up!! Plus, I am trying to get my self reoriented to EDT after being 6 hours ahead in Europe. It is getting harder and harder for me to get myself back on schedule with each passing year.

Sara, I love your idea of corn in the red wagon with a pumpkin and scarecrow. Totally FALL happiness for your porch!!

When we got home late Sunday night, my daughter left a portion of her Seminole pumpkin harvest for me!! I still need to wash the dirt off of them, but they look so pretty. The plan is that I will eventually cook the meat up and freeze in packets for both of us to keep in the freezer for whatever we wish to make. But for now, I plan to maybe cook one or two of them and use the rest for some fall decorating until the real orange pumpkins arrive down here in October.

It has been really hot here again and the rain showers are all around us so we are hot and dry the past two days. Everyday is the same! I am so looking forward to a change in the weather patterns!!

Today, I made my "Warm Apple Pie" coffee blend and it ended up really good. Each year, it seems to be a slightly different taste depending on what kinds of flavored beans I am able to add together with regular beans.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4650 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4650 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2018 :  10:49:00 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'm glad you are getting caught up. And so glad that you enjoyed your trip. I will be going through the same thing in a few weeks.

Those small pumpkins are so cute. And such great additions to fall decorating.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2018 :  1:29:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, I still swoon over Elvis! LOL! He was kind to the people of Memphis. He gave money to his high school for anything they needed and countless charities. Sad the way he was portrayed as a drug addict, he should not have had a Dr. who would give him meds to sleep and wake up. his lifestyle killed him. He couldn't go anywhere without being mobbed. So he would sleep all day, stay up all night, then rent out the movie theatre after midnight in Memphis for his friends and family and he would rent out the fairgrounds overnight too so he could go. If he had the right people around him, he may still be alive.

Winnie love your Pumpkins! You got the first ones of the season!!

Hugs! Connie
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3460 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3460 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2018 :  12:54:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie, thank-you for the Elvis postcard!! He was so popular in his day and still maintains many enthusiasts!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6011 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6011 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2018 :  4:21:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie thank you so much for the cute Elvis post card!

have a great evening everyone!

Farmgirl # 4943

Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4650 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4650 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2018 :  12:19:01 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Love the Elvis postcard, Connie. I love the postcard - THANK YOU SO MUCH! Ed and I both love Elvis. One of our first "historical" spot dates was to Graceland. He'd been before, but it was my first time there.

The cat postcard you sent last week was loved a little too much by the USPS. Unfortuately, it came in one of the USPS windowed emvelopes with a chunk missing out of it. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on Aug 23 2018 5:32:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6011 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6011 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2018 :  12:00:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They get in too much s rush when they put mail through the machine at the Post Office,
Thanks again for the cute card, Connie.

Hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2018 :  4:27:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all! Finally taking a breather and jumping on here! What a nutty last couple months!!! I'm ready for the Fall crisp air to cool things off and for the slower times to be embraced! This summer has been full of births of critters, butcherings, and the fair, along with gardening, company, and the "normal" everyday stuff around here. We got to learn first hand how hectic the time up to the county fair can be, with trying to get projects finished and going to get judged for 4H. Hopefully we will be a little more prepared next year, but it really was a lovely experience! We've butchered multiple batches of meat birds, with three left for the year. Our pigs went to the butcher the beginning of this past week. We MAY be butchering some of our goats this year as well... oh the mixed feelings on that! My garden has done decently, with lots of zucchini. I'm going to try making zoodles and dehydrating them... we will see how it goes. My tomatoes are finally starting to do something, but I don't think my peppers are going to amount to much. My garlic did wonderfully though! Today was spent canning beef broth. I'm suppose to be getting 8 bushels (yup - about 400 pounds!) of peaches this weekend to process. Oh my we are going to have peaches coming out of our eyeballs... but they are wonderful for the winter months!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4650 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4650 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2018 :  4:42:52 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You are one busy lady, Shannon. WOW!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9299 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9299 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2018 :  4:48:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie, Thank you for the Elvis postcard! Always nice to get farmgirl mail. I had a crush on ELvis, but then what gal didn't ? LOL.

Shannon, You sure are busy!

Heading out to see my girlies! Celebrating the littlest one's second birthday. I finished the baby quilt. Unfortunately I didn't get a picture. But I will when she opens it.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6011 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6011 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2018 :  5:19:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good seeing you on here Shannon you busy lady. Sounds like your pantry and freezer is going to be well stocked.
Have a good day.
Take care and blessings

Love you All!
Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2018 :  6:37:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My goal is indeed to have full pantries and freezers!!! With Brad working full time at the hospital and being a 45 minute drive one way, not including his weeks on call every month, much of the homestead falls on me! The last few days have been kind of nice not having the pigs, lol. I desperately need to sell some of these goats though!!! We have WAY TOO MANY!!! Our ducks have started laying eggs, which the kids, especially my 7 yo Ben is thrilled about! The laying chickens give us around 50 to 60 eggs a day... many of them are just starting to lay! Thankfully hubby is taking them into work to sell. Most of our excess milk is being used to make mozzarella cheese... With both Jenni and Emi drinking, it there isn't too much of a surplus, lol. I've kind of neglected the garden.... with all the rain we've had, we have a plethora of mosquitoes... and for some reason they absolutely LOVE to eat me!!! Emi and I both get eaten alive, while they only bother the other kids here and there! I also put up cherries... we only got about a dozen quarts of cherry pie filling out of those - my kids ate the rest!!! I had planned on about double that amount, hahaha.

Did I tell you guys we started our new school year? The kids will be finishing up studying some of the countries in Europe for Geography before we move on to Africa. We are spending the next couple weeks reviewing the countries we have already learned and doing any crafts we didn't get to. In history we are gearing up to hit World War II. I am starting with a brief overview of the rise of Adolf Hitler and an overview of the Holocaust. We hadn't covered this period of time yet in history, but I was astounded how little the kids knew about it!!! I had thought through various conversations we have had and watching shows like The Waltons and Sound of Music, that they would have a little more understanding... I was terribly wrong! I wish we lived closer to MD so I could take them to the Holocaust Museum! I don't think it was until I went there in college that I truly grasped the enormity of the Holocaust!!! I'm trying to figure out how I can help them understand the massive numbers killed due to pure hatred!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3460 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3460 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2018 :  06:32:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

You know how much I love Fall, but this is actually the reality down here!! Phooey!! LOL!!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6011 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6011 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2018 :  10:38:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hot, Hot, Hot.

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9299 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9299 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2018 :  12:06:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, you are not alone. Hopefully after this week our temps will start dropping a little. I feel like one continuous winter in the way that I neither go out then nor have I been out much this summer.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9299 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9299 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2018 :  12:07:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the upside. Our local farm market has...Apples!!!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3460 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3460 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2018 :  2:10:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WooHoo, Denise!! Nothing better than early apples to start off the season of enjoying this iconic fall fruit!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2018 :  1:18:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello ladies, I was reading your posts. Y'all have had lots of wonderful adventures this summer. It has certainly been hot here in Texas where we live. Two weeks ago we received about an inch and a half of God's blessing rain. Sadly we have had some tree limbs fall out of huge trees. My cousin who lives near Austin, said she has the same problem...due to lack of rain. We lost a lot due to the February ice storm too.
It was amazing how quickly the hay fields greened up. I know it won't be a huge hay crop, but every bit helps to feed the cows and horses.
Since early July I have been watering horses, cleaning up the barn, etc. each day.(Up until this summer the girls did the watering for their dad, but they both had jobs this summer and now they must both add school into their busy schedules.) When I started I went at noon. Now I go three times a day, keeps me busy.
I'm building a raised garden bed,in our side yard it is the first of three. I never dreamed it would take so much stuff to fill it up. (4' side x 16' long and 34" tall.) Of course my son's horses make lots of poop and there is also an abundance of waste hay. My problem has been getting it from the barn to the side yard.

Baby bucking bull calf named Dog, lost his mom because she had mastitis, so they fed him on a bottle and he slept in the stock trailer with Bear watching over him. He is so messy, all he does is sleep, eat hay and poop! No, no, not out side on the ground, in the barn, in the tack room, in the feed area, down the alley, even in the barn apartment where Lacey and Bear sleep and eat.( The flies are and have been awful. )So I scrape it up and bring it to my raised bed. Sometimes they all come up the hill to visit...( Bear, Dog, Shadow and Lacey)...actually they come to look for left over kitty or dog food. I love being out doors, but right now 96° feels like way over 100°. The weather people say it will be a bit cooler next week. I sure do hope so.
I did do a bit of sewing last week. I cannot wait until I can see every day.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9299 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9299 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2018 :  1:33:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn,
So glad you have had a chance to pop in. You certainly have been busy. I refuse to go out when it is this hot. I'm ready to move north somewhere. Lol.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2018 :  1:42:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon, fifth graders usually read a book called 'Number the Stars'by Lois Lowrey, ($6.99 on Amazon. It is really good, a small book.) Also The Boy in Striped Pajamas, by John Boyne is another good one. ( $9.99 on Amazon.)

Connie, thank you for the Elvis post card! When I was in junior high school (7th grade), a band came to the local high school and asked to preform for a bit of cash. The principal thought they were so good, he called over to our campus and we were all shuffled to the auditorium where we had a concert too. I did not know anything about rock and roll music, or singers, because my daddy always had country music going.(He wrote some.) Anyway, Elvis was one of the four guys on stage. Some of the older eighth grade girls recognized him. Yes there were squeals and screams, until the Principal said Enough, No more! It seems that they traveled west Texas highways looking for places to play. Day time in schools, night time in bars, etc. Mostly they were honing their craft. I believe this was about 1955.

Winnie those pumpkin look great. I planted seed but they could not take the summer heat. We had temps over 100 most of July, New growth would appear overnight and be brown and crunchy by afternoon. That was with watering them every third day!

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Aug 29 2018 1:58:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6011 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6011 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2018 :  3:35:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone, hope everyone is doing well, I haven’t been doing a lot but it is a lot cooler here., I just wanted to say hi #128075; and send you all my love

Hugs and blessings
Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Project Discussions: Previous Topic The Dog Days of Summer~ August 2018 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page