levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9299 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9299 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2019 :  04:13:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems that now the first flowers have bloomed all the earth is waking up.
We have blossoms coming on our Magnolia tree and the lilacs have their little green leaves just sprouting. I saw little buds of flowers on our peach and apple trees yesterday and our Tulip Magnolia is showing it's buds. Forsythia had bloomed and the ***** willowsare out and starting to turn to blossoms. Such a beautiful time of year.
By the looks of the forcast we will be getting April showers fairly often this month. I know that will bring us more green.
There is always lots to do outside this time of year and I hope to keep up with it all.
Of course Easter is also this month. Does anyone still dress up for Easter? I remember the hat, shoes, and gloves that always accompanied the new dress my mother would make every year. Going to Sunday school and church. There was always Sunday afternoon visiting with my dad's family but on Easter we always went to see my mom's parents. They lived farther away and so we went there on holidays more. Also by the time I was 6 my father's mother had passed. We saw her too on holidays. She always had so many children you were bound to run into cousins when there.
Hoping April is a happy month for all!

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2019 :  1:58:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I first saw this post I wrote a responce, but was interrupted by my hubby, the first of many times today! So my response is lost...oh well. April fools day is tomorrow. Ten years ago, on April fools day, I was told I had cancer! Thank you God for saving me from that!
Everything seems to be in a hurry this spring. I love to see the buds swelling on all of the trees and bushes. The spring blooms of peach, plum, pear and Apple trees are beautiful and so delicate. Yesterday I saw a long wysteria vine blooming, with those long grape like clusters of flowers hanging from a fence, and redbuds, so pretty. Out back I have a china berry tree whose blooms are purple and a golden rain tree, it's blooms are yellow.
God loves color, and provides plenty for us to appreciate.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9299 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9299 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2019 :  2:04:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds as if things are lovely at your house Marilyn!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2019 :  2:12:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is lovely all around Denise. I will be so happy to see the roses and honeysuckle bloom. I know it will be a while, but the scent of both is awesome.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6011 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6011 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2019 :  5:08:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My little blueberry bush is blooming, it has the best blueberries on it,

Hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2019 :  6:44:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oooh, I love blue berries. I have been buying frozen ones, and using them in our smoothies. But as I pour the fruits into the ninja cup...I always eat two or three, yum. Yum!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9299 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9299 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2019 :  6:54:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn
I just love when the honeysuckle blooms and the fragrance travels on the breeze.
I love blueberries Darlene. I get big 10 or 20 lb boxes from a local farm market?and freeze them every year. So good in the summertime as a snack. Much better for me than ice cream. Though i bet homemade ice cream with blueberries in it would be good.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2019 :  7:33:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We still have some snow here. No green yet. That usually comes in May. We actually had a few snow flurries tonight but they didn't spray. Many roads closed because of flooding. The Mississippi is here and the Minnesota and st. Croix rivers. All are over their banks.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9299 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9299 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2019 :  04:02:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bonnie sorry to hear of the flooding. Do you have shorter times of high temps in the summer?

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2019 :  04:51:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bonnie the Mississippi is so different up in Minnesotta and Wisconsin than the muddy Missip down near Memphis.I remember asking are you sure this is the Mississippi??? It is narrow with little islands. On down the way it is soooo wide and no longer clear.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3460 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3460 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2019 :  07:09:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy April everyone!! Today we have a chilly drizzly day that is supposed to last until tomorrow afternoon. We need a slow steady rain, so this is much needed around here. Plus, I get to wear a sweater again and I know those days are fast fleeting!

April has always been a special month for me. My Jessica was born on April 10 and usually Easter comes this month. April was that month, growing up, that my world was beginning to bloom and warm up in Virginia and I have so many sweet memories of daffodils, tulips, greening grass and first days with no coat needed. There is something so fresh and green about April that makes me happy too.!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2019 :  2:52:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy April! Sunny and a high of 55 today!
Marilyn, your so right the Mississippi River is Muddy down on this end.

Connie
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9299 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9299 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2019 :  3:50:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie,
My Jessica was born in April too! The year she was born Easter was on the 19th and that happened to be Easter morning that year. Easter has only fallen on her birthday a few times since then. Part of why April has always been a special month for me. It was so beautiful here today. Went out and spent some time talking to the girls. They told me they are pretty happy with their nice clean digs. I think we will move the fence for their yard so they can get to more grass and let it grow back where they've been.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Apr 01 2019 3:52:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2019 :  4:00:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have one bunch of Daffodils still blooming! My iris are starting to bud!

Connie
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2019 :  4:04:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I love this picture I found on Pinterest. Reminds me of the 1960's when we use to get all dressed up for Easter Sunday!
We still dress up, not like we use to when I was a little girl with gloves and hats!

Connie

Edited by - Killarney on Apr 01 2019 4:04:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2019 :  4:31:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On Connie, what a great reminder! They all look so colorful and springy.
We always had a new home sewn dress, an orchid corsage ( given us by church), a new pair of Sunday best shoes, gloves and a small hat too. It was important to carry a pretty hankie too.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9299 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9299 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2019 :  05:40:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love the childhood memories we all share.

Connie, those daffies are beautiful. My two tones haven't bloomed yet. They are peach and white and I only have one small clump so I always enjoy when they show up.

We had frost last night but today is beautiful again. In the 50's. Heading out to the post office then coming back to enjoy the rest of the day.

Hope everyone enjoys this day!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3460 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3460 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2019 :  06:49:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember growing up that Easter Sunday we always dressed up with a hat, gloves and special dress. My Mom made most all of my new clothes and she would let me help pick the fabric. One of my favorite dresses was with Snow White fabric and my Mom smocked the front. Plus, we often got our summer church shoes for Easter if we had outgrown last year's. With a big family, we often got hand me downs, but my Mom would make some little changes for each girl to make it special. She also would embroider plain socks and add some lace to make the outfit really feel extra special. In general, in the 1950s and early 1969s, everyone wore good clothes to church on Sunday all the time. It was only Easter that we added the hats and gloves. Personally, I wan never a hat kinda girl. They always felt weird, itchy, or I hated the tight strap under the chin! LOL!!!

Denise ,my Jessica's birthday is April 10 and I can only think of one time it fell exactly on Easter Sunday. But we have been very close to many Easter Sundays and I will always associate her arrival with Spring and Easter. She turns 36 this year!!! Where has the time flown to?????

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9299 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9299 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2019 :  07:20:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know what you mean Winnie, Jessie will be 38 this year. It was so special to me that she came early Easter morning. My mom and I were doing up Easter/Spring baskets when I went into labor the night before. LOL.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2019 :  08:15:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I was six, my mother was working on some embroidery. She was using threads of purple on yellow organdy. Imagine my delight when she finished her project...a cute little summer dress for me! The embroidery was on the pockets and I loved having pockets.
I remember mother, who was very friendly and social, going to visit a friend, and taking her hand work. She and one lady would crochet together. Other days were embroidery days,and she taught me.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2019 :  08:27:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone remember ironing? Do you remember the little sprinkler tops that were stoppers that fit in a soda pop bottle, after the laundry was folded and put away your mom, and later on YOU, would sprinkle the starched clothes--some ladies even ironed their sheets--!
Then you would roll up the dampish things in a damp towel, until you were ready to iron.
Mother seemed to either have a friend over or sometimes load her ironing board, old flat irons, dampish rolls of ironing, hangers, and three toddlers into our big round chevy car( 1938 model), and drive to a friend's house to visit and iron. Of course we little ones had fun playing with the little ones who lived there. I was four, but I remember mother talking in a funny 'language', someone they knew was "pg", and they were excited. I did not have a clue what they meant.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Apr 02 2019 08:30:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2019 :  10:43:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thought I'd show you a picture of the newest baby colt walking, not acting silly.
Also have you had experience with alfalfa hay cubes? My son just bought some more. Not in bags...but in totes taller than me! I had never seen a tote this big! He has to bring the sky track home to put them in the barn...before Saturday.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2019 :  11:22:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn what a peaceful scene.

On the subject of ironing I have mixed feelings. After my daddy became ill mother took in ironing to keep the family going. She ironed for others between the time I was nine and twelve. Those were hard years but we made it and after daddy passed we moved to a house on a bus line so mother got a job at a department store.

I am blessed today to have a large walk-in closet. Room for my vintage wooden ironing board to stay up. For just a few things I will pull the ironing board away from the wall and iron in the middle of the closet. Mostly I let the ironing stack up and I drag the ironing board into the living room and iron in front of the front door as I watch TV.

I do remember the sprinkler tops that now show up in shops. Last one I saw I think it was $6. They seemed to be mostly red but there must have been other colors.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2019 :  11:47:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The one I had as a newly wed was just silver colored.blah! I seriously don't remember my mothers...I guess I associate them with work.
This was funny, my little brother, was just a bit spoiled.
But when he discovered football the summer between 6th and 7th grades, two a day drills...He could not bring himself to walk home all sweaty and dirty in his freshly ironed shirt, then walk back to practice that afternoon in the same, now smelly shirt. . . so he wore two clean, ironed shirts each day. Very quickly my mother introduced him to the iron and ironing board! Then she had to get busy and sew some more shirts for him.
I think this was about the time she insisted on buying an automatic washing machine.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Apr 02 2019 11:49:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4651 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4651 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2019 :  12:04:56 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have 2 wooden ironing boards. I'd love to sell 2 of them. Any local farmgirls interested? LOL! I love them.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2019 :  2:01:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a wooden one and another metal frame with a wooden top, from grandma's house. Then I have my old college ironing board from 1961. Then I have a much newer, wider one.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Springing into April~2019 Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page