Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 On the porch chatting with friends - July 2017
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic On the porch chatting with friends - July 2017 Next Topic
Page: of 5

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2017 :  10:31:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I apologize for being behind a tad! I hope that everyone is enjoying the month of July with not only the US celebrating Independence day on the 4th, but Canada celebrating their 150 year on July 1. I celebrate both days! So thankful!

As you know, I've been busy with class and whatnot!

Last Sunday, I had to take my little Pumpkin to work (she's the Nature Director for a Boy Scout camp) due to her car breaking down (stuck caliper). She works 3 hours away! I made it a fun day for myself by visiting a town close by ... okay there was a Barnes & Nobles and I can spend the day and night in a book store.

That's it for me! Catch you later!

Farmgirl hug!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6000 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6000 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2017 :  12:32:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aren't books stores awesome Carole? When I moved to this area there were so many used and new, book stores but not anymore and it is so sad. Love going through them. There are still some used ones but I just don't get to them any more. They are great. Glad you had great Celebrations for the 1st and the 4th.
Have a good day Carole!

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2017 :  10:26:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm with you Carole, I could spend a whole day in a bookstore. I got to drive for the first time since May 11. I was on pain Meds for a knee replacement. I call that a mighty fine Independence Day!
Carole, we unknowingly celebrated Canadian day one year when my husband was taking a photography class in Vermont. We thought since the traffic would be bad in the states we would go north through Canada. The road was bumper to bumper...the queen was visiting!

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2017 :  12:49:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone,

Classes are done for now .... my present project is purchasing a new car! Pumpkin's car is crapping out on us and it makes more sense to give her mine (Honda 2010) and I get myself a new one. I do not like shopping for cars .... I have an appointment to test drive the new Honda Civic Friday evening and if it feels right, it's a done deal! I have to feel right in the car before I make a purchase. Since I've been pleased with my Honda, I'll stick to the same thing. Pumpkin drives a Subaru Forester .... not that great on mileage!

I've been in and out of Dr's office for the past 5 weeks. My BP is back up again and they/I have no clue why. I just don't understand it, I jog 2 miles everyday, power walk 1 mile and power down .7 miles = 3.7 miles at least 5 times a week. I eat healthy, no junk etc... and yet .... that friken fraken BP is through the roof again. I have some test to get done, yet again, and I'm hoping to get to the bottom of all this.

The weather has been gorgeous around here. The days are warm and the evenings are cool! Before bed time I turn on the a/c just long enough to get the humidity/heat out and off it goes and the window is open. Love the fresh air.

Bonnie, I can just imagine the traffic you were in. A while back I took Pumpkin to Lockhart (a Potterish bar) in Montreal and I kid you not, it took over 1 hour to move 200 yards! And, I was opposite to the rush hour traffic! I really do miss that!

Darlene, I so agree, bookstores are awesome! Sadly, they are a dying breed!

Enjoy the day everyone! Cheers!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9220 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9220 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2017 :  5:14:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole,
I feel that way about my Honda Accord. Got it in 2008 and it was only 4 yrs old. Very well kept and I needed something for work. Well it is the car we use to travel so have put lots of miles on it. Looking into another Honda so I can sell this one while it's still in good shape.

Have an appt on Tuesday for dad. Hasn't been feeling very well. We need to find out what is going on.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jul 06 2017 5:16:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6000 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6000 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2017 :  8:22:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Carole they are. I hope you get the car you want. Car shopping is no fun.
I hope you find out what is going on with your BP, I will put you in my prayers.
Denise good luck on finding the right car as well.
I hope the doctors find out what is happening with your dad. I will put him in my prayers as well.

Take care, I am tired tonight

Farmgirl # 4943

Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2017 :  10:37:15 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
We are on our way back from Michigan. I am nursing a bum knee. I stepped up a stone step and felt and heard something pop. Ed got me a knee brace and a package of frozen peas to ice it with. Lol. I'm keeping it raised as much as possible. Hurt to walk unless I kept it straight legged. A little better now. Will make appt with one of the doctors ed works with to make sure I didn't tear something.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2017 :  10:45:19 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Can't wait to catch up with everyone. A lot of the rv parks we have stayed in don't have Internet. Hard to view on my cell phone. It's been a good trip mostly after family business was handled (we think). I have a quilt retreat Thursday-Sunday when we get back. Got a new quilt pattern and fabric pls several other projects to finish. Got several projects done on the trip since I brought a featherweight with me. lol.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3457 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3457 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2017 :  2:12:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greetings everyone! It is good to hear about what everyone is up to these days. Carole, you have been extra busy with your class and now the search for a car for your daughter. Whew,that all takes a lot of time! Linda, I am sorry to hear about your knee. I hope it gets well soon as a hurt knee can really put one out of commission! Hopefully, the doctor can get an MRI soon and see what the mischief is all about and get you moving towards getting it fixed.
Denise, I don't envy you either having to search for another car. Cars are just plain frustrating because you need one but they always start having issues that can be expensive to resolve.

Today, I am finally getting myself back on track with EDT from our trip. For some reason, getting back on track is always harder coming home than it is going over. It definitely messes with my sleep!

We did have a wonderful trip and got to see and experience many beautiful and fun places. The history in France goes back to Roman times and I love to see the cities where there are layers upon layers of history built on top of and around hundreds of years. We were also in the Bordeaux region of the country which is on the Atlantic side. It is the wine capital of the country and there is such a romance of these old castles and old mansions that date back to the vineyards of the Middle Ages. A lot of wine has been produced here through the millennium! Although I am not really a wine consumer, I enjoyed learning about the production and seeing the gorgeous countryside. It is always fun to go and visit new places but I am ALWAYS ready to come home. There is nothing like Home Sweet Home!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6000 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6000 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2017 :  7:42:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah Winnie is sounds like you saw some really nice and interesting places. I am glad your back safely, and hope you get back on sleep track soon.
How many hour difference is there between France and the USA?
Have a good night.
Hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2017 :  7:47:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole and Denise, we have had two Hondas. Our first one was a crv and we had it a long time. It needed some fixing and m our son did that. We bought a Honda Fit five years ago and it's still in great shape.
Linda, I sympathize with your knee pain. Mine is still painful and I had a replacement in May. Prayers for you.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2017 :  8:37:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, I am also glad to hear from you and that you had fun and are safely back home. I am a home body.. My sister is the traveler.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2017 :  05:04:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda sorry to hear you fell and hurt your knee. So glad Ed was there and knew what to do. Hope it mends soon so you can enjoy your quilting retreat.

Winnie, good to have you home.

Carole, happy car hunting. Hope the doctor will find the cause and fix you right up.

Hope to go to the Farmer's Market this morning. Would like some tomatoes and a eggplant or two.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2017 :  4:32:55 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Almost home!! Our off-the-highways and no toll road route took us through Paris, Texas, that is. So I called Sara and we dropped in to meet her. Ed and I stopped and met face-to-face with Sara. Her house and yellow Rose cottage are decorated with a definite farm girl flair. I love it!! I've got lots of pictures and will post when I get home, which should be inabout 1-1/2 hours.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2017 :  5:02:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda I loved having you and Ed visit me. We made good memories today. I'm tickled you stopped by. Sorry Annie wasn't friendly - she doesn't take readily to people in her backyard.

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2017 :  8:55:18 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Sara. I am so happy you did not mind us stopping in to meet you. It was definitely spur of the moment. And thanks for letting me take and post pictures of your great farm girl house. It is so warm and welcoming. Now we can all see where all of your great canning and other food ideas originate.

Ok, ladies, here are some farm girl hen house sister pictures. LOL!
First, me and Sara in front of her house.

Then pics of Sara's Yellow Rose Cottage - where she does all her canning, among other things. I love the warm, country, farm girl look of this place. The pictures go from inside the door from right to left and last center.

You know, I forgot to take a picture of the front of the cottage - hmmmm - guess I need to go back.

Here is how Sara hangs her MJF merit badges. She embroidered them and added to a fabric tag.

The mini aprons that Marilyn sent her hang in honor in the Yellow Rose Cottage.

The mini aprons Sara and I made are in her kitchen cabinet.

And Sara collects Cream and green enameled pots. Those that are rusted she uses for plants.
She doesn't have a bottle tree, she has a pan tree.
LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2017 :  05:08:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Linda for posting pictures - now my FarmGirl sisters can see where/how I live and play. Thanks again for stopping by and you are always welcomed. Next time we'll have tea in the Yellow Rose Cottage.

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2017 :  07:27:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A great photo tour! Sara you have a lot of antiques in the yellow rose cottage...I love the old icebox, it is colorful and cute. Thanks Linda. It is nice to see Sara too. Now when I read her posts I can better visualize things.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2017 :  07:39:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn all the antiques were in my house in Howe but no room in my smaller home in Paris so they ended up in the cottage. The old ice box is one of my pride & joys. The old sideboard came from the Los Colinas Ranch in Irving. I bought it for $35 in the early 1970s when they held a sale.

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2017 :  08:23:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have some pieces from grandma's house and then I also went shopping at flea markets and antique stores, years ago. I love my old used, a bit battered pieces. I love that many times the man of the house crafted pieces for his wife's needs. I think my jelly cabinet is a homemade piece. I have two pieces my uncle built. My Hoosier cabinet is in a bedroom now...no room in the kitchen. I filled my jelly cabinet, schiff robe and milk cupboard with quilts.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2017 :  08:40:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The china cabinet in my kitchen with the mini aprons Linda and I made was my aunt's. A friend of hers made it for her in the 1950s. I inherited it in 1975. Most of my pieces came from family or estate/garage sales. My pie safe and ice box from antique shops where I paid them out. Worked overtime to get them. The blue wood table in the Yellow Rose Cottage was rescued before the garage men picked it up. What other people see as trash a FarmGirl may think it's a treasure in need of saving.

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2017 :  10:26:11 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I love all Sara's antique, and like Marilyn, I love the Icebox.

I have a platform rocker and settee that was my great aunt's; I had to have it recovered and chose fabrics as close to the original as possible. I still have apiece of the original fabric. I also have a caned child's rocking chair that was my grandmothers when she was a child (according to my mother). I'd love to take it to the Antiques Roadshow sometime when they are in the area. I have an antique, on wheels, with carvings in the shaped legs table in my entryway and another round 2-tiered I-think-they-call-them pie table with the fluted edges that were my grandmothers; my mother used them until she passed away and then I got them. The last family antique I have is a caned-seat chair with the rose carved in the top of the back; that, also, was my grandmothers.

My 2 dining tables are the square pub-style tables with pull-out leaves on two ends - each has 4 chairs. I got them at antique shops. I have a small 3-tiered round table with turned legs, a round white 2-tiered plant table, and another caned folding rocker that I got at an estate sale for $25-10-25 each on the last day. I'm sure I could get more for them, and I might start selling a few of those types of items - the ones I just picked up and they don't have memories or relationships to me.

I promised myself when I moved in that I would not clutter up the house. Well - you all know how that goes. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6000 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6000 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2017 :  4:10:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara your antiques are nice, and I agree with you about seeing a treasure in someone else's trash.
Linda, your things sound really nice too. I have all sorts of types of furniture, but do have a couple of old chairs with arms people were throwing away. One was from the Ivanhoe, a restaurant/hotel in Ferndale it is padded and carved around the chair. They are pretty sturdy. need padding though.

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

871 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
871 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2017 :  6:11:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, Thanks so much for sharing your time with Sara with us :)! I loved looking at all the pics! Yellow Rose Cottage looks like such a fun place to "create" in! I am sure there are so many stories all the pieces in there could tell! That is one thing I love about "old" things, is the stories that they hold in them! Only wish I knew what they were, but I often think about the way it would have been when those items were new! Home made, gift, hand me down, etc. Love it! It's always special when farmgirls can meet face to face! Such a blessing :)!

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2017 :  9:04:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gorgeous home Sara! So glad you and Linda got to meet! And glad you guys made it home safely, Linda and Ed!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2017 :  04:19:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darlene thanks. I like a mixture of furniture too that way I can add to or take away without messing with the whole look & feel of a room.

Ruth, which comes first the woman who creates a space or the space (house/cottage)which brings out the creativity of the woman? I tend to believe it's a little of both.

Shannon, thanks and it was great to meet Linda and Ed.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Project Discussions: Previous Topic On the porch chatting with friends - July 2017 Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page