Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 October Learning together:The Jack-o-Lantern
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic October Learning together:The Jack-o-Lantern Next Topic
Page: of 2

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3455 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3455 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2019 :  07:19:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having spent two weeks in Ireland, the home of our Halloween traditions, I decided to share about the Jack-o-lantern. Most of us have never heard how the Irish relate to Halloween, but in fact, Ireland had been celebrating October 31 as part of the history of the Celts. The Celts, were a pagan society in the early years of the island's history. Their celebration of Samhain was a combination of harvest completion and spiritual beliefs. It was the Celtic belief that October 31 was the time when the veil between the living and dead was thin and the spirits of the deceased returned. Of course, the spirits could be both good and evil and so it was the evil spirits that most frightened and concerned the people.

Recently harvested root vegetables like turnips and rutabagas were cut open, hollowed out, and made with scary faces. The lanterns were then lit with coal embers and placed by doorsteps or hung outside the house. These lanterns were believed to scare away any evil spirits from entering your home.

The term Jack-o-lantern goes back to a small village in Ireland , after Christianity arrived, where an old drunk played a trick on the Devil. He makes the Devil promise not to take his soul down to Hell when he dies. Of course the Devil played another trick and when Jack died, he could not enter Heaven, because of his misdeeds, but he also could not enter Hell because the Devil kept his promise. As a result, Jack was left with wandering the Earth using a turnip lantern to light his way. He became officially known as , Jack of the Lantern, or simply Jack-O'-Lantern. This story of Jack seems to have appeared in the late 1600s and spread to England and Wales as well.

Ireland was Christianized by St. Patrick in the 400s AD. In order to help the pagans to accept the new religion, they put Christian celebrations on top of the old pagan ones to help in the transition. Because November 1 had been already made All Saints Day on the Christian calendar, October 31 became All Hallows Eve, which is the preparation evening for All Saints Day. From All Hallows Eve, we shortened the name to Halloween. Today, both the Anglican and Catholic faiths celebrate All Hallows Eve and All Saints Day, followed by All Souls Day on November 2. Collectively, they make for a grouping of spiritual days spent in prayers for the dead, and commemoration of the spiritual leaders and Saints.

When the big Irish immigration to American began in the early 19th Century, they brought with them their Halloween traditions. Keep in mind that American Pilgrims were also very suspicious of evil powers, the work of the Devil, Witches, and evil spirits. Early Pilgrim homes had glass blown balls with little chambers inside to hang inside all homes to capture evil spirits. I found one in a gift shop of a museum home from 1648 in Norfolk, Va. and brought it home where it hangs in my home today by the back door. We also had the horrible Salem Witch trials in Massachusetts in the 1600s against women believed to have evil powers. Many were drowned or burned at the stake for their perceived powers.

Thankfully today, we have moved on past these superstitions of ancient peoples of Ireland. Witch trials were outlawed finally as the American culture grew with other Christian groups like the Quakers and Mennonites who were peaceful and offered new ways of viewing the readings of the Bible.

Halloween has morphed into just a time of fun, celebration of harvest, a special night to dress up and visit homes for candy treats, and gatherings of friends. While there has been abuses of the Trick or treating tradition, businesses, churches , recreation centers and personal homes have opened up safe and fun places for children to come and enjoy the tradition of Halloween.

In my neighborhood, we have been the location for many children to stop by. Parents from unsafe places will bring their kids to our location. Some years are more busy than others, but I don't mind older children or children from other neighborhoods stopping by. I love to decorate my porch with lots of jack-o-lanterns and offer a treat to the waiting bags and plastic pumpkins.

As a child, I always loved Halloween and getting dressed up and walking through the neighborhood with siblings and or friends. Back in the 1950s, it was safe. However, by the time 1960 came along, the city of Charlottesville limited the age of trick or treaters to 10 years old because of the abuses done by older kids to cars and property. Those abuses ruined my fun and I was so angry! As a result, I welcome all ages of kids at my door because I want them to have the fun I was never able to have. Depending on the date of Halloween and if there was a teacher planning day afterwards, I had a few sleep over Halloween parties which I loved to do. The City also ran an afternoon of fun games at the local recreation Center. Churches and Girl Scout troops set up booths of games with prizes and children were all invited to attend with their costumes on. My troop did it every year and I always loved being a part of the festivities, especially when I was considered too old to trick or treat.

My most favorite memory of Halloween, however, is walking those neighborhoods and looking at the carved pumpkins grinning on porches. Many were very clever, some almost works of art, and lots of funny and spooky grins. For me, the Jack-0'-Lantern is the iconic symbol of a holiday that had a long and sometimes turbulent tradition.

Maybe it is my Irish roots that binds me the Halloween? What say You?? Do you love a grinning pumpkin?

Anybody up for some pumpkin bread made from the meat of the pumpkin? A great Halloween favorite!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015

Edited by - Red Tractor Girl on Oct 03 2019 11:47:45 AM

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2019 :  08:32:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie thanks sharing with us the history of the Jack-o-Lantern. You did a lot of work to gather all that info. I gave up Halloween and all it's trappings years ago. I celebrate fall with candy corn, pumpkins, gourds, and Indian corn. I turn off my dusk to dawn front porch light on Halloween night but leave the one on my deck on. Don't like total darkness around me.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2019 :  10:18:30 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
That is so neat, Winnie. I've never known all this history of the Jack-o-lantern. Thank you for sharing.

Here in the country we don't get trick or treaters unless we go to one of the local Trunk or Treat events where they hand out candy. I usually make up a bag of candy for my 3 grandsons. My new neighbor is a young family with a 3-1/2 year old little girl(the father got back to his base in the US from Kuwait this weekend and will be home here in 2 weeks); I will make her a treat bag, too.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2639 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2639 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2019 :  08:27:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was a fun read, Winnie! Thank you!
I used to love dressing up for Halloween but I hated that I had to wear a coat over my costume!
We live 10 miles out of town so the only trick or treaters that we get are our own grandchildren and 4 neighboring children. I always have their favorite candy and buy the "big" ones as a special treat for them. I remember taking our 2 when they were small. By the time we drove from place to place out here and went inside to visit, we might only make half a dozen stops that evening but it was as much fun for the kids as the adults, getting to visit a bit.
I don't remember the last time that I carved a pumpkin....maybe I should do one this year for fun!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2019 :  11:35:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Debbie, invite your grand kids to come carve and scoop with you. I think my last one was three years ago at the private kindergarten where I was an aide.
Kids are funny, because some love to dig the seeds and slime out and others just stand there, frozen with fear...until I tease them with a big handful of pumpkin' guts!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3455 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3455 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2019 :  05:14:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Adding on to what Marilyn said, carving a pumpkin also means harvesting the pumpkin seeds and scooping our fresh pumpkin meat from the walls of the interior. Then you can wash and dry the seeds, find a spice combination or just plain salt, and roast them into delicious crispy treats. Secondly, you can cook the meat, let it cool, and then use it to make pumpkin bread or a pumpkin pie. With one pumpkin, you get 3 results; a jack-o-lantern, crispy and healthy snack, and a delicious sweet dessert. Another yummy use of the pumpkin is to make pumpkin soup. It is easy and there are many recipes on the internet . It is amazing how much richer the depth of flavor is when you use fresh pumpkin meat for any of the recipes I mentioned. The Pilgrims at Plymouth Rock survived their first year thanks to pumpkins that the Indians had taught them to grow and save. Like other hard root veggies like turnips and rutabagas, pumpkins can last for months and months when kept in a root cellar at above freezing temperatures. They also provide vitamins and are easily cooked and paired with many other ingredients.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2019 :  06:52:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie you mentioned what the Indians taught the settlers. It reminded me of the "Three Sisters" and how some of the tribes grew pumpkins. They planted pumpkins around their corn stalks and also beans to climb up the stalks. I always wanted to plant the "Three Sister" but haven't yet - maybe in time I'll get around to it.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9205 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9205 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2019 :  4:59:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara,
I have always wanted to try that also. Maybe next year.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

871 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
871 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2019 :  5:16:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow I luv all the Halloween stories. Winnie very interesting story. Wee don't have treaters where we live. At the end of a gravel road but a lot of organizations in town do. And people do in town. And they have a pumpkin patch which is really cute.
I have a taste for a pumpkin roll. My niece makes the best. Pumpkin bread. All I'm doing is making my self drooling? lol
Everything is Bootiful. HAAA!!!!!!

Hugs Marlee

Hugs: Heavens Ultimate Good Sign

OCD: Overly Cute Disposition

Farmgirls: Sisters from Different Gardens
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1190 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1190 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2019 :  07:48:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank You for the Jack-o-lantern lesson Winnie, I enjoyed reading it. I grow pumpkins in my garden, usually just a few plants and the grandkids come over and help carve 1 or 2 a few days before Halloween. We set them out by our mail box at the other end of our dirt road. Since our driveway is 1 and a half miles long we just get the grands and a few neighbor families. I do not do candy, but I do make caramel apples and popcorn balls for the big and littles and also have juice boxes for the kids and adult beverages for the parents to enjoy when they get home.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9205 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9205 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2019 :  08:42:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie, I want to come to your place for popcorn balls! LOL. I always buy those when they have them. One of my sweet vices.
Last year JT and I helped the youngest grands carve their pumpkins when we were out there. This year we had to postpone so they may have them done already.
I do pumpkins but don't carve them. We don't get trick or treaters here. We usually go out with the 3 older grands. This oldest is too old according to the township to go out. She is not happy about that. I would rather see them dressing up and going instead of getting in to some mischief somewhere.
I do make up things for my grands. Since we have one who is diabetic and one with braces I don't do the typical candy. It can only be certain things but I finds lots of other things to put in bags for them.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3455 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3455 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2019 :  4:23:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie, I want to Trcik or Treat at your house too!! It has been years since I enjoyed caramel apples and popcorn balls. YUM!!! Carving pumpkins is always fun and I do love those grinning faces welcoming everyone on October 31! We are having fun signing up for my Halloween swap over at the main Forum. Hop on over if you are interested. Last day to add your name will be Thursday and partners will post on Friday.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9205 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9205 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2019 :  1:25:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I still haven't been able to get over and pick out my pumpkins. I think I will have to take the kids over on Saturday and get them. I usually take them and they are allowed to pick one out as long as they each can lift their own. They haven't gotten any of their own so it will work out well to do it then. We have to wait till it cools here or they get rotten before Halloween.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2019 :  2:46:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is what we deal with here too, Denise. This year I have noticed a lot of decorator type pumpkins...you know some are bluegreenish, some are fat but squatty, some are white, etc. They far out number the old standard pumpkins to carve.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9205 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9205 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2019 :  06:51:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn,
The teal pumpkins are to put out to let those with special needs know that it is a non candy house as well as for those who can have it. It gives the children a choice if they need it. I know many around here that do it and the stores now have sections with items to hand out that are specifically for the teal pumpkin project.
The grandchildren love to carve so we do the real ones until they no longer want to do them.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2019 :  07:16:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never heard of the teal pumpkin project, Denise. You taught me something new! Thanks.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3455 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3455 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2019 :  11:20:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw an article on the teal pumpkins and it is basically a place where candy is gluten free, nut free etc. It was a campaign to make it possible that children with serious allergies can go and be sure the candy will be safe. It seems like a great idea too. A person could have a regular pumpkin and then a teal pumpkin in view so parents and kids know safe candy is available. I will look around at the treat possibilities and if available have that option of those that need it.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

5997 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
5997 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2019 :  08:14:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How cute!
IIlove youall.
Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2019 :  08:19:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darlene so good to see you post. Hope you are having a good day and we miss you.

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2019 :  2:15:06 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Julie - love to sample your homemade treats. I remember trick or treating and getting the homemade caramel apples and popcorn balls. They were so good. Then there were years that no one would give them out because parents would just throw them away because they did not know if they could trust the person who made them. That took all the fun away.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2019 :  05:41:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Three post back on this thread - Darlene sent us a very short but sweet message. I don't want anyone to miss it.

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2019 :  05:45:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Sara, I did miss it. I will send her an email

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2019 :  05:46:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Darlene. I'm glad you have a way to communicate with us.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2019 :  09:10:38 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Great to see you on the henhouse posts again, Darlene. We've all been praying for you and thinking about you.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3455 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3455 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2019 :  09:50:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great to hear from you Darlene!! I hope you are feeling better and better each passing week!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9205 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9205 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2019 :  1:57:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Darlene it is so good to see you post! You are missed. Continued prayers for you.
Winnie, that is right about the candy. I forgot to post that but I was surprised that the stores have sections in the candy aisle that have candies and little non candy items to give out! So glad to have options for the children.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Project Discussions: Previous Topic October Learning together:The Jack-o-Lantern Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page