Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 A Merry and Bright December~2019
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic A Merry and Bright December~2019 Next Topic
Page: of 6

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9201 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9201 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2019 :  04:56:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can it really be the last month of 2019? Time flies so fast anymore.
What are some things you do to make the month an enjoyable one?

I try to get ahead on all my gifts for Christmas so I can relax and enjoy all the things that come with the holiday. We are going to the local tree lighting ceremony on Sunday the 1st to start it off. Then closer to the holiday will be the programs and services at our church.

Would love to do some caroling locally here, I miss those types of things. There are cookies and other baked goods to be made and given.

We will put up our tree on Monday the 2nd as is our tradition. We already celebrated our son's birthday with him over Thanksgiving. But ever since he was born we have put up the tree as part of his birthday so we will continue on with that most likely. (depends on how much I can get done by then for cleaning fall up. Will be finishing that up today if the agenda is clear for it.

I expect to be busy later so thought to get this month started so I won't be late. I look forward to seeing what is on for our December Learning. Winnie always finds such wonderful things to get us thinking!

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2019 :  07:20:49 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I agree, Denise. This year has gone so fast - maybe because we are all so busy. This month for Ed and I means closing on a house, packing for Germany, spending 18 days in Germany, and returning to Texas the 30th. We close on the house on Dec 6th and leave for Germany on Dec 12th. LOL! In Europe we will be on a Viking River Cruise going up the Danube, from Budapest to Nuremburg, and walking around the different cities in the cold cold weather and attending the Christmas markets; a Florida cousin and his wife and another couple they know will also be on this boat with us. We will then spend 3 nights in Prague where a Czech cousin and his two daughters and their families will meet us for lunch on the 21st, along with some other cousins I have never met; taking the bus back to Nuremburg, where Susanne (my exchange student) will meet us and ride the train to Frankfurt with us. She works in the IT department for the railroad and has already gotten us the bus and train tickets. :-)) We will be staying at Susanne's home with she and her boyfriend, which is only about 1-1/2 miles from her parents, with whom I have stayed during my past visit to Germany. On Christmas Day, we will be driving to the town of Niedercastle (on the Rhine), where another exchange student is now a pastor, and will go to one of his Christmas Day services. I am really looking forward to this trip.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017

Edited by - quiltee on Nov 30 2019 07:21:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2019 :  07:41:51 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Congratulations to Marlee, who Madeline has just chosen as the FGOTM for December. Enjoy your month!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2019 :  12:36:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise - I haven't even started making my gifts!!! Eeks!!!

Linda - what an exciting December you will have! I'm so excited for you guys for your house. And Germany!!!! How lovely that will be! We have very dear friends in Germany!

Marlee - congratulations sweet lady!

December promises to be a busy month for us! We got our decorations up yesterday and are enjoying a blizzard today. Our 4H club will be gift wrapping for a fundraiser, be in the town parade, have our Christmas party, shop for gifts for the veteran tree, and ring bells for the Salvation Army. Add to that going over to SD and celebrating with my brother and his family on the 13th, homeschool holiday activities, and so much more.

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9201 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9201 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2019 :  2:08:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, Sounds like you have a busy month ahead!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2019 :  2:22:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations Marlee!Linda your trip sounds amazing.
Shannon, I'm glad you are feeling better. I am working on a box of girl goodies. I'm ready for a normal day, so I can try to finish up.
We enjoyed Thanksgiving. The prayer by Triston and visit with my sister were nice. The food was delicious.
Yesterday we shopped. Today was my day at home...that did not work out. My husband is hyper. In fact he and Had and Julie have gone to look at Christmas trees right now. I chose to feed chickens. Enjoy your endeavors everyone and bless you and yours, as we navigate our busy month.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2019 :  3:02:20 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Shannon - where are your friends? We will be staying in Limburg, a little ways from Frankfurt.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2019 :  4:34:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This year flew by! Congrats! Marlee!! December FGOTM!
I decorated a few shelves today. Still worn out from Thanksgiving. Lily June stayed and spent the night with us. Her daddy picked her up Friday morning at 11.
I always miss my Granny this time of year. All my vintage Christmas is mostly hers. The jar in my lamp is one old coffee jar( Marilyn told me) my Granny had forever. She canned food in it. I've had it 43 years.

Linda, Can't wait to see your pictures from Germany!!

Connie
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2019 :  6:35:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie. I love your Granny's decorations.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2019 :  6:47:49 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You have such neat stuff, Connie!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2019 :  8:11:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn - thank you so much! And thank you for working on things for my girlies!!! What a blessing! I just do not have the mindset to get much done right now. I'm trying, but not being very productive!

Linda - he is in the Air Force and they are stationed at Spangdahlem

Connie - your decorations are gorgeous!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9201 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9201 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2019 :  03:45:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie, your lamp is pretty and your decorations are cute.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1190 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1190 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2019 :  11:41:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon with all you have been through lately, it is certainly understandable not having the desire to work on gifts. You have a busy month with kiddos activities. Connie I always love when you show us your beautiful vintage decorations. I would love to see your entire house at the holidays.Linda, it sounds like you will have an amazing time on your trip. Denise, you always seem to have everything pulled together. How kind of you Marilyn to be doing a care package for Shannon's family, the world needs more people like you.

I finished decorating the tree yesterday during the storm, I just have my nutcracker collection to put out and than I will call it good. The grands are coming over later to do our annual find the pickle ornament on the tree challenge. It is the official start to our Christmas season. I think I will get some wrapping done after they leave, I have a few that I wrapped when I wrapped the pickle prize, but many more to go.

This month is busy with granddaughters ball games, Christmas parties, church and school programs and lots of good old fashioned fun.

I am doing a mystery advent crochet along. I ordered the kit from a British company and it came last week. It is a beautiful box with 4 different balls of yarn, 2 small bags of stuffing and a bag of extras I cannot open yet. Each day in the month of December I am e-mailed a set of instructions to create 2 different stuffed animlals.i haven't started today's yet, but I am looking forward to finding out what the mystery animals will be. On December 24th they will send me the full set of instructions. I hope I can keep up, I sure am going to try. I always buy the grandkids advent calendars and I really like this adult version. I have ordered from this company before and they have beautiful wool yarns and the cutest menagerie of animal kits.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado

Edited by - treelady on Dec 01 2019 11:42:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2019 :  12:51:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like fun Julie.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9201 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9201 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2019 :  1:55:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie, That sounds like a great way to start the season. Would love to see the kit when you are all finished.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2019 :  3:25:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie - thank you for the encouragement! I'm feeling pretty defeated today... we are losing one of our goats, as I type. We have him in the house, but nothing is working! He was outside, laying in the snow, crying! How much snowed you end up with from the storm? I have no clue, as everything drifted much!!!!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2019 :  5:03:40 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know how close Spangdahlem is to Limburg or Niedercastle, but will check.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2638 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2638 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2019 :  9:31:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie, where did you order your kit from? I've never heard of anything like that...it sounds like a lot of fun!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9201 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9201 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2019 :  05:48:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We went to the local tree lighting last night. It was nice. We sang carols and they served hot cocoa and donuts. The grandchildren got to visit with some friends. Was freezing and rainy but we still had a nice little group. It didn't last long but long enough we were glad to get back home and warmed up.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1190 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1190 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2019 :  06:33:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Debbie I get them from Toft.com they are having 20% off today for cyber Monday on all their kits and yarns. If you need the coupon code let me know, they emailed it to me yesterday. Even wth shipping from London, Shipping is pretty fast, usually within 10 days. I have 3 of their animal crochet books and I have a few animal kits I put aside for fireplace crocheting. They don't take long, but a lot of counting involved so I work on them when I know I won't be interrupted. Check out their Instagram page for fun pictures.

Shannon our snow is settled to about 9 inches. Winter is definitely here.

Busy day today. Our oldest granddaughter has a ball game at 4:30 in a town about 45 minutes away. I need groceries, so I put in a Walmart order last night to be picked up on the way home. Has anyone else ever done the Wal-mart pick-up? I don't necessarily like doing my grocery shopping there, but when I am crunched for time having someone just walk my entire order out to my car and load it all within 10 minutes and I can be on the road to home is is a game changer. I have lots of errands to run before the game in town so am leaving right after lunch.

Have a great day everyone.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2019 :  07:36:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We were in Granbury Friday. They have a huge HEB grocery store that we enjoy going to just look around in. I usually go to the bulk foods isle, meats and produce. As we were going to get in line I noticed a tall blue cart with some bags on it. Next I saw a girl put something into one of the bags. Next we followed her out the front doors. She did not go to a car but into a large room with so many tall blue carts! Some were empty but most were filled with orders! I was shocked...wow...there were also cars waiting to pick up their orders. It was so big. Our HEB does this too... on a much smaller scale. I told my husband that one day we would shop that way...of course he loves to go in and look. But he told me you get the very best produce when you let them get it.So perhaps he will come around.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2019 :  07:55:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got a UPS message on Thanksgiving day that I was getting a package from LL Bean the next day...well I did not order from them recently...so I asked Julie. She said yes, it was an early Christmas gift for me!
I never dreamed it would be a wreath, that smells wonderful. As I was hanging it up I realized it has lights on it. So I called to thank her and she came to see it. Every time I walk in and out that door I smell Christmas. Then yesterday afternoon they went back to look for trees again. So now my house really smells like Christmas. I will let the tree relax for a few days before I light it up, put the red berry branches in it and ornaments on it.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3455 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3455 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2019 :  11:15:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems crazy that now December is officially in full gear! It sounds like many of you will be very busy this month too. We are coming off a huge shopping weekend with so many deals to help fill shopping lists needs. It is crazy busy just about everywhere you go to shop. Personally, it all wears me out! Yesterday afternoon and today has me putting away Fall (sad face!) and thinking about Christmas. When I looked at those 3 big boxes of stuff yesterday, I decided that I didn't even want to drag it all out. So, I am making some big decisions about getting rid of excess stuff over the next week as I dig through everything. When I look at Colonial traditions here in the US, Christmas decorations were sparse; a few greenery springs, some oranges studded with cloves, a pineapple, and simple beeswax candles. Maybe it its this whole Log Cabin thing in my brain, but those simple decorations are more appealing to me than ever before. So, I am on a mission of Re-Do of the Christmas stuff and looking to pass along some things that younger families, with children , could enjoy. Anyone else staring at those bins of decorations and feeling like you just can't drag it all out again???

Here is a photo I found a few years ago and it makes me wish I had something like that down here to enjoy. I love the farm look and those big white horses!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2019 :  8:34:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Winnie, in fact I hit that point three years ago. I will not part with most of it but will pack it away for my grands to delight in one day. I can just see them unwrap a fragile item, eyes big and wide as they say " Ohhh ... I remember this!" That was the way I was as I cleaned out the back room in the summer, finding their toys and some of their dads too..
My husband loves to go to Walmart, the week before Chrixtmas, especially The evening before Christmas eve. Wal Mart is the big shopping destination in our small town, as well as the surrounding area! You can see some unusual folks, who look as if this is a once a year experience for them. Like mamma and five little ones drug daddy to town. (My own son says he never goes to Walmart...so he can afford to buy from other stores, big deal. ) Not me! I love to go when the morning is early, and the younger peop!e are sleeping or at work. Even most of the older folks are at home. When I first began to teach school in 1969,I was always rushed and wished for a store that sold everything! So I only had to make one stop. Remember, we had Blue Laws! So you could not really shop on Sundays. It was night time of Saturday's only.
If I ruled the world...we would go back to a simpler time when people loved my God, and respected His day of rest...including me!

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Dec 02 2019 8:36:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2019 :  05:49:51 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I, too, need to weed out and either sell, give away, or pack for sentimental reasons. I have 10-12 tubs of Christmas, a couple that I haven't used for years. I have 3 tubs of Christmas quilts, pillows, table runners, and wall decorations that I have made, and those will probably go out on the beds and tables for the holidays - though not this year. I have another tub or two of the older Hallmark ornaments that I haven't used for several years. Years ago I had given my son the ornaments that his grandmothers had given him every year when he was smaller and the Star Trek ornaments that we had. I hope he still has them packed away somewhere safe. I also have a box of all cat-themed ornaments. For several years my tree had only cat ornaments on it; I even have a porcelain cat nativity set I purchased at the Cat Shop in Old Town Albuquerque years ago. And then there is the tub of children's musical animals that all require batteries and play musical melodies when you press a paw. And the rest is miscellaneous.

Now my cousin, Carol, who is now in Heaven singing with the Angels, had 76 boxes of Christmas, and she put them ALL out every year. It took her almost the entire month of November to put them all out, because it also meant emptying out all of her china cabinets and cabinets in the kitchen, and cleaning off the counters in the kitchen. She changed out dishes, had a themed Christmas tree in every room (even tiny trees in the bathrooms), and each china cabinet or shelving unit had a theme for decorations. And, of course, then it took another month to take them all down and put all the other china and collectibles back in the cabinets. Her house was beautiful, but it took her a lot of time and was a lot of work.

I have another friend in Arizona who also completely, and I mean completely, decorates her house for Christmas, and Easter, and Fall. She loves it and her house is beautiful. She has the tables set up with chargers, dishes, and decorations for each seasonal event, and all sorts of other decorations.

LOL! But this is not for me and my house. I want simple.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1170 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1170 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2019 :  12:13:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have several tubs of Christmas stuff up in the storage space in the garage that I haven't seen in years. When I lived in the country I had the family at my house for Christmas then I moved to a little house in town. By then my kids had flown the nest so we would take turns hosting Christmas. That worked well for a few years until the family just got too big for my little place. It was fun to do all the decorations back then but I got tired of doing all the work of decorating and undecorating. I was still working full time then and it was just all too much. Since no one comes to my house for the holiday I don't do anything anymore-- no tree, no decorations. This is my Christmas present to myself and it's very relaxing. With DH hunting in Texas until Christmas week, I fly there and drive home with him. Last year we spent Christmas in a motel in Santa Fe; his daughter died in Dec. last year so we weren't in a celebrating mood. This year we will stop at my Daughter's in Nevada for Christmas.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Project Discussions: Previous Topic A Merry and Bright December~2019 Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page