Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 The Groundhog was Correct!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic The Groundhog was Correct! Next Topic  

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2020 :  5:13:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ladies, spring will be early this year...just like the groundhogs predicted. I know because as I was moving iris this afternoon...I heard them...that unmistakable sound of geese. My eyes searched the skies, as their honking came closer!! Then I saw them! Four V formations, followed by anotber. Then about five minutes later I saw five more V formations fly over. About ten minutes later I heard more honking but it was further away...over across the highway,, which is 3/4 of a mile from our house...I could see specks in the sky but there were two V formations that were quite large. So The groundhog predicted it and the geese confirmed it! Spring is just around the corner!
I am so excited. My whole family has been told and now you all know it too!

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Feb 22 2020 5:16:33 PM

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

5996 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
5996 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2020 :  3:56:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Marilyn
Sounds good to me too.

Enjoy!

Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2020 :  4:10:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was 52° here today but the clouds hid the sun from us...So the wind was cold. After watering horses I sprinkled carrot seed among the onion sets and tossed light fluffy potting soil over them. We shall see.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1170 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1170 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2020 :  5:45:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It will be in the 70s this week; we're breaking records. Usually we have fog and rain this time of year; the only times it has snowed here in my memory it was in February. It seems strange having all this sun but I took advantage of it today by pulling up buckets of oxalis from the yard.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2020 :  8:02:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are supposed to be sunny for the next week...not really warm but sunny. Long ago while teaching little ones, they got so tired of being cooped up in winter with cloudy skies and cold temps. Any time Mr. Sun paid us a visit, they began to ask, then get to go out to play. Sometimes they could only be out there five minutes, but they felt good, excited and hopeful when we were inside again.
That is how I feel too.
Judith are you transplanting them?

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9203 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9203 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2020 :  06:45:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The township took down the snow fence this morning. That is a good sign! The weather has been so nice cold this past week. My daffodils are making their way up and have buds as does the magnolia tree out front. I am definitely looking forward to Spring weather.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1170 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1170 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2020 :  12:00:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn -- No transplanting; oxalis is a weed here. It can rapidly take over yards sunny or shady. The flowers do make a nice natural dye. I picked a bucket full of the blossoms last year and dyed a yard of cloth a nice yellow color. No mordant was necessary as it contains oxalic acid, a natural mordant. There is limit to how much yellow fabric I need so it gets pulled up. It will be back again next year.....

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2020 :  1:12:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to know. Thanks.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2020 :  3:05:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Judith that is Gorgeous!!
I got all kinds of Daffodils blooming and My Bradford Pear trees are blooming tiny white flowers, no fruit just ornamental. It's early for them! Do any of Ya'll have those too. They are everywhere here in West Tennessee. They grow fast, so root system does not hold up to strong winds. They make a pretty shade tree.
My Surprise Lilies are up a foot, Just the Foliage. It will look gorgeous for about 2 months, then poof, its gone! The Pink blooms will pop up in July! I got scolded on a Face Book Gardner Page for calling them Naked Ladies LOL!!s Several members of the Botanic Gardens here in Memphis called them that in their books! LOL!
I cant wait for Lily June and I to play in our raised bed where her Fairy Garden is. We can see it out the Laundry Room Window and she will say Ganny Bear," My Fairies and Gnomes are cold! LOL! Here is a picture I found to Dream about till Spring!

Connie

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2020 :  3:40:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a huge Bradford pear tree 0n the way to town. I love to drive that way in the spring just to see it. It is about as old as my son. It is so big.
I will never understand. Why some RUDE people seem to feel so righteous that they can put others down. I think God frowns, and makes notes, when he hears those comments.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic The Groundhog was Correct! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page