Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 April Learning Together: Easter Traditions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic April Learning Together: Easter Traditions Next Topic
Page: of 2

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3457 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3457 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2020 :  12:54:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Easter is one of my favorite celebrations , but I never really read about some of the history. Today, I wanted to share with you what I found in hopes that you will find some interesting facts that are new to you too.

Since many of us here at the HenHouse have a Christian background, did you know that the date for the Easter celebration started with the big Council of Bishops at Nicea in 325? A decision there was made to always observe Easter on the first Sunday following the first full moon after the Spring Equinox. This ruling accounts for the fact that the actual date of Easter varies every year. Early traditions also referred to Easter as Pascha or Resurrection Sunday.

But did you also know that Easter had long been a Pagan tradition before Christianity moved into those countries and converted people ? As a Pagan holiday, Easter was a festival in honor of he Goddess, Eostre. She was a Goddess of fertility and rebirth who was part of the agrarian society. Spring meant that crops were planted again and abundance of harvest was the difference between adequate food or famine. There are records of this all through parts of Europe and the Northern Hemisphere.

These early Pagan celebrations always included eggs because they were part of the rebirth symbolism and also Hens were laying more eggs after the arrival of better weather. Long cold Winters were always a test to having adequate food sources and eggs were a much welcomed addition back to the diet,

Later on, the Christian celebration also incorporated eggs as the symbol of the tomb of Jesus.
I am sure many of you have seen beautifully decorated eggs from the Easter Orthodox traditions that uses the psanky technique of layering colors in intricate design using dyes and wax. Think of it as a very intricate form of tie dying. The results are stunning!

One of the most looked forward traditions we associate with Easter Sunday incorporate egg hunts, chocolate eggs, and fluffy baby chicks to brighten up Easter baskets. Did you know that France was the first place to create chocolate eggs at Easter in the 19th Century?? That was totally new to me!

Next on my history learning was where the Easter basket came from. I learned the German immigrants, who came in the 1700s, are given credit for bring the easter basket tradition to America. But originally, the Easter Basket was part of the Easter Christian tradition of bringing the Easter meal to the church on Easter Saturday to be blessed before it was eaten on Easter Sunday. Keep in mind, that Christians had been following the disciplines of Lent for 40 days where they abstained from eating foods like eggs, butter, cheese, or meat. They also fasted from Good Friday until midnight on Easter Saturday. the Easter celebration meal was very much looked forward too!

Also, in the Middle East, non-Christian religions brought the first seedlings of the new crop year to the Temples in baskets to be blessed for a good harvest year.

I was not able to find exactly when the Christian tradition of taking the Easter meal to church for a blessing to become the basket to be a special surprise to all Children on Easter morning. We all know that Rabbits, eggs and baskets have been important historical parts of many Spring celebrations and traditions.

We do know that the Pilgrims forbid celebrations of Easter or Christmas because they felt that they represented Pagan ways and were unacceptable. So, my guess is that when the German immigrants arrived, and families intermarried , Easter and Spring celebrations began to mix and new ways evolved. I am thinking that when places like Woolworths and McCroys arrived in the late 1800s and the beginnings of the 1900s, all sorts of Easte decorations. mostly made in Germany, began to create the foundations of the American Easter basket tradition much like what we saw happen to Christmas celebrations.

I would love to hear from you about your Easter traditions and any other Easter history that you know about. For me, there is something very special about receiving and Easter Basket full of things like jelly beans, chocolate eggs, and sometimes a small toy Rabbit or Chicken.

I remember that every year, We did church in the morning and then had a family egg hunt and Easter basket finding(ours were always hidden) and enjoying those special candy treats!! I did the same traditions with my two girls and today, I still make them a little box of treats. I can't help myself!! LOL!!

Did you grow up with Easter traditions that you did every year? What were they and please share history tidbits here for all of us to enjoy!

Below are some eggs I dyed a few years ago for breakfast on Easter Sunday. Dying eggs is something I look forward to each year, albeit on a MUCH smaller scale since there is no longer an egg hunt in our backyard.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9208 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9208 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2020 :  1:25:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie,
Just a quick comment until I can gather my thoughts a bit more.
I find it interesting that Christians fasted from Good Friday to midnight Saturday as the Sabbath started in the evening on Saturday. Though that would have been for the Jewish people so don't know that it would have been the same.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Apr 03 2020 1:26:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1171 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1171 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2020 :  9:37:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We always had our Spring celebration on Easter or Orthodox Easter (a week later) if part of the family was gone for Easter week. There would be egg hunts for the kids, although one year we had the kids hide the eggs and the adults hunt for them. We usually made a big mural on the patio with colored chalk. When Mom was alive she always made a bunny-shaped cake on grass made of green coconut and we would eat the Easter bunny for dessert. Dinner was always ham, asparagus, scalloped potatoes, and artichokes. We continued the big family celebration until Dad passed two years ago and everything changed; now each family does it's own.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9208 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9208 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2020 :  07:03:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today is Palm Sunday and part of the celebration of Resurrection Sunday as Easter is called by many. Many are celebrating through videos from various churches and I imagine will do the same next week.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9208 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9208 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2020 :  05:52:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Easter will be quite different this year as we will not be doing the egg hunt for the grandchildren or having family together here.
I do imagine that my daughter and her husband will do an egg hunt for their children. They have 4 so there should be plenty of fun for them. My other 3 grands are teens now, all but one, so I don't think they will do that this year.
Normally, we would have everyone here for dinner. This year each will be deciding what to do on their own to make their time special with families.
Though it will be quite different this year it is a good time to reflect inwardly on what Easter truly means to each of us.
How will each of you spend this special day?

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2641 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2641 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2020 :  11:19:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My daughter and I were just talking about this today. We have been thinking about just doing our own thing in our own homes and not having a big Easter celebration for the family since so many CAN'T celebrate together this year. We can stream Mass online and have a quiet day, I'm hoping maybe a nap in the afternoon???

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2020 :  1:45:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TThank you Winnie! I enjoyed that! This church is on the Historic Register of Tennessee. You can see the Spire from a long way, From Balconys. I remember going past it as a young Child.Its in historic district of Mid- town Memphis. My daughter and lily june live about 3 miles from there.
Connie

Edited by - Killarney on Apr 07 2020 1:45:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2020 :  2:51:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie that is a beautiful old church. There is a country church on the highway about a mile and a half from us. A wind storm came thru last autumn and tore the steeple off the church. So it is laying on the ground. They put a plug on the roof. The steeple won't go back up. Or so I have heard.
Julie told me this morning that she has everything for our Easter dinner.
Since we see them on a daily basis and they are our family...we shall be fine if God is willing.
After all things should be much safer by Sunday.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9208 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9208 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2020 :  3:14:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, I think it is interesting about how the Easter basket came about. I had never known its origins.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2020 :  3:15:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ladies I try to follow the rules. But I was red pilled over three years ago. This is not a pandemic--no matter what CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN or other fake news may tell you.
On April 1st General Milley gave a talk and the arrests of evil people began. Tunnels were blown up...maybe you thought they were earthquakes...thousands of children were rescued. Today the focus was to be on NY,Texas and another state. Pray for the National Guard, the Military, nurses, doctors and other law enforcement that are bringing these little ones out and trying to save their lives. It is so SAD. Every time I hear more...emotions sweep over me and I feel sick to my stomach. It is hard to believe that as I went about my daily life here on the earth's surface enjoying the beauty of spring...another world exists under ground. I have known about the tapes on the Weiner laptop that made policemen in NY as well as military men throw up. Some needed counseling and some committed suicide...but it has only been recently that the truth is being leaked slowly out to the public. It is ugly. I Will be praying for you as you learn more and more.
Do not let your guard down yet. Keep your children and grandchildren close...they are still kidnapping babies and young kids...even young women.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Apr 07 2020 3:21:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3457 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3457 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2020 :  4:28:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With grown girls and no grandchildren, Easter has been a quiet holiday for many years. I always make a small batch of my Mom's Hot Cross Buns and dye some hardboiled eggs for breakfast for hubby and I. Our church is streaming the service so we can still enjoy the music and message. This year is so different with the pandemic, but we are used to a quiet Sunday. This Easter Bunny has been busy making some baked goodies and adding a few chocolates for little Easter treats that I always make for them. Like Christmas, there are a few things to bake and eat that have always been a part of my Easter Sunday Memories with my family growing up.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1171 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1171 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2020 :  9:35:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll take a package of ham out of the freezer, make some scalloped potatoes and asparagus. We always had pashka and kulich for Easter dessert but I'm not going to all that trouble for just the two of us and those aren't diabetic friendly anyway, so this year I'll make a simple little crustless cheesecake and see if DH can find some strawberries for it. I'm thinking of hiding some nice naturally brown hardboiled eggs and sending him on an Easter egg hunt.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2020 :  4:01:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Judith, a grown up egg hunt...y'all should enjoy that. Our young adults still like an egg hunt. Last year I put quarters in plastic eggs. This year I could boil some light blue, light green, pink and brown eggs for them to hunt, as well as some coin eggs. I decided not to do paper money. Too germy plus I must go to the bank.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3457 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3457 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2020 :  4:27:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, I love that you still have an adult egg hunt!! It is also cool that some eggs have some money in them too. Egg hunts are just a simple but fun way to enjoy eggs before they get devoured with happiness!! We had a big family and so Saturday before Easter, Mom boiled 4 dozen eggs and we all colored them after breakfast. Then, after Church and Sunday dinner, Mom would go out to the back yard and hide all the eggs. What was so fun was that there was always one egg we could not find and it would eventually show up months later over in the garden area.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2020 :  8:47:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I grew up as an only child and I didn't participate in any egg hunts. Unfortunately, I got hooked on chocolate early in life. I was given a small basket filled with candy and a small rabbit. I did get to color eggs with those Paas tablets you put with vinegar. I also did that with my own kids. As a Christian, Christ is the reason for Christmas and Easter. We celebrated with Palm and Easter Sunday. I did love the real chicks which were on several relatives' farms. I love Spring bright pastels and the adorable Easter fabric available.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1171 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1171 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2020 :  10:12:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did anyone else get those sugar eggs with little Easter scenes in them viewed through a peephole in one end? I haven't seen any of those in years. We had store bought ones then my mother learned how to make them for us.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2020 :  11:54:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember those!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9208 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9208 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2020 :  06:49:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Judith, Yes, I remember getting those eggs. They were so pretty.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3457 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3457 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2020 :  2:35:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Judith, YES, we used to get those sugar eggs with the little scene inside and my Mom used to make them for us. I never ate mine because they were so cute.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2020 :  9:14:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember those eggs also. Did anyone ever eat them?

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2020 :  10:39:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How many of you remember those eggs with the colored sugar shell and marshmallow insides??? When I first taught school we had a few candy eggs and lots of boiled ones that the kids brought for the hunt. We always dyed eggs in our classroom too! As time passed there were less real eggs. Then the plastic eggs became popular and gradually the pure sugar eggs disappeared.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1171 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1171 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2020 :  11:06:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I loved those colored eggs with marshmallowy filling. I think the last time I saw any was on a Spring trip to Tucson around 1995.

About those sugar eggs, I licked them and may have taken a hesitant nibble but I think it was forbidden to eat them.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9208 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9208 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2020 :  05:40:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For me today is a major part of our celebration. We do not "do" anything in particular, but we do spend time re- reading and finding what significance it has for us.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2020 :  07:59:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did anyone hear that the Morman church asked that we join in prayer and fasting today...prayer for America.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9208 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9208 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2020 :  07:29:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is anyone else able to spend time with their family besides Marilyn this year? My son texted and asked what we were doing. I had to tell him we were pretty much keeping distance and we decided we would postpone our family get together until a later time. This time of year has always meant a lot to my kids and family so it will be different that's for sure.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Apr 11 2020 07:29:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1190 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1190 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2020 :  10:00:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have so many Easter traditions, some we will not be doing this year for obvious reasons, but many we will still be participating in, just in a very different way.
One of my husbands German-Russian traditions is to have a dish called Prunes and noodles. Yes, it is just like the title. A sauce made of boiled prunes in apple juice, buttered noodles with fried bread cubes over it, can I just say YUCK! He grew up with this dish, so I made it for him yesterday, apparently not what he remembered, because after the first bite he made a sandwich. His mother also made a lamb cake every year, I have her Pam, so the cake is cooling and I will decorate it this afternoon. We will have it for desert tomorrow.

We look forward to Easter Services every year and thought we would be watching a live stream from our church, but a pastor of a church camp near by has come up with a drive-in church service. Everyone will have to remain in their cars, and it will be broad cast over the radio. We will still see the pastor give the sermon and have the music we so love and from what I unsderstand, they have come up with a way to bring communion to us and stay within the 6ft. Rule.

We also usually have an Easter Egg hunt in the Park of our little town that the grandkids love to attend. This year everyone in town was asked to create a large Easter egg and place on their lawn. People are than to drive around and count the eggs and post the number on the community face book page. There are drawings for prizes for everyone who participates. Lots of people donated prizes, so I think every child will win something. Several people have volunteered to deliver the prizes to the winners doorsteps.

We work with our daughter and son-in-law and see them several times a week so we have decided to still have Easter Dinner together. I have done baskets for each of them and have made up clues for a scavenger hunt for them to find. I will miss my boys and thier families, but we will visit over FaceTime throughout the day.

Dying eggs is one of our favorite activities. Fortunately the girls have been laying well and we have plenty to dye.

I hope each of you has a very Blessed Day and can spend time with the Lord, we are so very blessed that Christ is not only in Church but our homes and hearts as well.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Project Discussions: Previous Topic April Learning Together: Easter Traditions Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page