levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9219 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9219 Posts

Posted - May 17 2020 :  09:30:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found my farm girl necklace and Jubilee charm too!
Working on some hand projects today for a swap. Always so relaxing! Going to enjoy watching some movies with JT.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on May 21 2020 08:24:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2642 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2642 Posts

Posted - May 18 2020 :  09:24:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We were able to go to church this weekend! They are limiting it to 20 people per Mass. Our daughter went Saturday night. She said no one wore a mask and it was only 30 minutes instead of 60. We went yesterday. Everyone wore a mask! Go figure. We always go downstairs for coffee and visiting but couldn't do that yesterday. We stood outside to visit a little. You could tell everyone was so happy to see each other and catch up after 2 months. Off came the masks! haha But it started raining so we didn't end up standing outside very long.
This social distancing is so strange. I don't think it's a mentally healthy way to live. People are longing for personal interaction and touch from others. We went to a farm sale on Saturday. I had one person give me a hug and another shook my hand. It felt so odd. I almost felt like the "CV police" were going to jump in from out of nowhere and scold me! I hope that after this is over that we aren't going to be afraid of hugging, shaking hands, etc. and become a cold, standoffish people. That would be sad.
We were also able to "dine in" this weekend. But little things that you take for granted...now paper menus instead of the real ones, makes sense, less to sanitize. No sugar, salt, pepper or ketchup on the tables. Now everything in little packets. Again, less to sanitize but different. We have been saving money but not going anywhere for the past couple of months, very little gas and no meals out. After paying for 2 visits to the local restaurant, we decided that maybe saving the money and continuing to eat at home is a good idea!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - May 18 2020 :  1:36:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Debbie , Oh how wonderful! you got to go to Church! I agree with you 100%. One article I read said, that we need to be exposed to other good germs now too! I don't see why most churches cant do the same thing, Skip a seat or 2, have 3 services if necessary.

The Jones Peach Orchard Farm stand about 2 miles from me is open! They have a plastic shield up in front of the cashier! They will have blueberries, blackberries too and Apples later on! They have Mississippi tomatoes right now. Im going to try this recipe I found on Facebook for Tomato Pie!
Connie
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - May 18 2020 :  4:26:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh those strawberries look wonderful.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3457 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3457 Posts

Posted - May 19 2020 :  05:49:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is wonderful to find local farm stands now open and full of produce that we love! Living in Florida has the benefit of fresh produce most of the year. Of course we pay for that luxury with dreadful long hot summers! Right now our blueberry season is winding down and we went out twice to a huge farm to self pick. It was a nice way to get out and not have the problem of too many people around. Those berries were so good and we have been eating them in abundance the past month. But that season is closing down and the corn season is exploding. I love Silver Queen corn!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - May 19 2020 :  10:52:52 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
We love the farmstands, too. I am leaving in a few minutes to get some groceries and go to the farmstand here in town.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9219 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9219 Posts

Posted - May 21 2020 :  08:29:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are are fortunate to have all those fresh fruits and veggies already! Those strawberries look wonderful. We do have strawberries available here but that is about it until June. They are so expensive here. $6 a quart. That is one thing I really miss about Florida. They have them in March and you can get a lot for that much money. Can't wait till our farm markets are open!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - May 24 2020 :  11:15:54 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
This will be a quiet Memorial Day for us, I think. Today we are going to the farmhouse and Ed is going to start loading some stone edging, flagstone and bricks, left over from gardening projects. On the way back I'd like to stop and get some fresh vegetables and fruit.

At the new house Ed has been working on removing an extra door we found here when we moved in. When we first saw the house there was a china cabinet on this wall in the dining room. We were in Germany when they moved out. When we came in the house in January we saw this door - a door between the dining room and garage - only 8 feet from the kitchen door into the garage. We don't know why they would have put one there, and Ed could tell from the construction when he removed it, that it was put in after the house was finished, probably by the first owner, since the one I bought from had it blocked off. Ed has the door removed, sheet rock up, and it is taped and bedded; he is texturing now so he can paint the dining room. He likes to keep busy with projects.

We are trying to decide what color to paint the master bedroom so he can get it done before the new bedroom set is delivered. It would be hard for us to move all the new furniture in order to paint afterwards. I am thinking about a mint green - earth tones are popular and I think mint will go with all my scrappy quilts.

As usually happens, I think, during the move there are some things that are I have not readily found. So far, I am missing a couple jewelry items, miscellaneous t-shirts, and some nightgowns, all of which would have been packed latest. I just have to figure out where I safely put them. LOL! I hope they turn up soon. There are a lot of boxes yet to be unpacked. Thursday we ordered a new complete master bedroom set (queen-size bed, triple dresser, media chest, and 2 night stands) and they are scheduled to be delivered on June 4th. Right now we are using a clunky old mans dresser that Ed had in his house. It will be nice having a place to put everything and hopefully everything will stay in its place.

I am getting ready to start making 100 blocks for my new master bedroom quilt. I have decided to do Bonnie Hunter's Crocked Courthouse Steps with a red center on each. The red symbolizes the home's hearth. Using yellow meant a welcoming light and according to old stories a black center in a quilt hanging on a clothesline meant a safe stop on the underground railroad.

Oh, and the buyer's house has a contract, so we should close on June 19th! YAY! Keep praying and crossing your fingers.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on May 24 2020 11:17:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1191 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1191 Posts

Posted - May 24 2020 :  12:03:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is a quiet Memorial Day for us as well. We have rain all today and tomorrow, which I am not going to complain about. We needed a little for my garden and the pastures. But it does mean the Memorial Day ceremony we always attend is cancelled. We have really been pushing hard to get the crops in and I was determined to finish getting the rest of the garden iplanted yesterday. I did, but didn't come in until dark last night. Needless to say, I slept really well last night.

Linda, I feel for you. I still have boxes unpacked from our move to this farm almost 2 years ago. Everytime I unpack one it is like opening a treasure chest. We are waiting for our carpenter to start the main bathroom remodel. I am hoping it will be soon, yet I dread the mess.

Have a great weekend everyone.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9219 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9219 Posts

Posted - May 24 2020 :  12:39:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Memorial day here will be quiet. As far as I know just the two of us.
We still have some projects to work on but that is slow going.

Linda, sounds like that will be a beautiful quilt when you finish.

A bathroom remodel sounds great but like you I wouldn't look forward to the mess it makes.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - May 24 2020 :  3:14:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, was the door he removed about 36" wide?
Could it have been for wheel chair use?
Sounds like your new home is coming together quite nicely.
My grandma always had red squares in the center of her log cabin quilts. To her the red represented the Heart of the Home.
We had ribs today for lunch...along with other goodies. We enjoyed it with our son and his family.
This morning my tablet was Rollin one video after another, which was fine with me because I was working on lunch and had wet hands. Then it began playing the book of Enoch. Wow. Does anyone know about this book? When was it written or where does it fit? I know nothing about it.
Memorial day...a day to honor those who fought and died to make us free.
Yep. To old to go to the lake, like we did when we were young. Oh well at least I won't get sunburned! And I think God is gifting our plants,trees, and pastures with blessing rain. I love to listen to the thunder rumble as it gets nearer.
Our son will be so happy. He had the fertilizer truck guy out here Friday. So Bring on the Hay.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1171 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1171 Posts

Posted - May 24 2020 :  4:43:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A quiet weekend for us too, as all our holiday weekends are. We don't like to add to all the traffic on the three day weekends and being retired we can go places during the week when there are no crowds.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3457 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3457 Posts

Posted - May 25 2020 :  05:15:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ditto to a quiet weekend down here in Florida. It has been in the 90s all last week and quite humid again. It makes being outside sort of miserable now due to the high heat index with the humidity. I picked wild plums from my daughter’s tree and made 6 jars of jelly, cleaned up my “LogCabin” top to bottom, and finishing up some swaps I signed up for over at the main Forum. This weekend, our local PBS station has been running Downton Abby continuously for fund raising and I have been binge watching it and enjoying every minute. That series was just so interesting to me and Julian Fellows is a creative genius as a playwright, I think.

We have a little birdhouse under our pergola porch and a pair of Wrens made a nest there again. We can tell the babies have hatched because the parents are in and out of it all day with food and you can hear these little peeps when they arrive to feed them. I love sitting on the sofa out there and watching them when I am reading. So cute!!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - May 25 2020 :  06:06:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy Memorial Day friends.
It is a rainy drippy sort of day at our house. The plants love it.
My flags are rather wet and a bit droopy.
As we drive up our lane there are 7 American flags on left. There is another on the right as I proceed up the lane. But if I turn into our driveway it is so pretty...green, green, green with lots of flags and flowers too. I love the Red White and Blue.
I planted Stargazer lilies in tubs on either side of the walk to our back door. It smelled like a flower shop as I passed through. Amazing!

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on May 25 2020 06:09:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - May 25 2020 :  10:06:27 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Marilyn - the door was a 30" door, so it wasn't really an exit door. That's another thing that is confusing as to why it was there. We gave the door in the frame to my son, who is replacing a door at his place with it. So it is being put to good use.

We are going to Lowe's today to look at paint for the bedroom. The furniture we have ordered is very heavy and we won't be able to move it after they delivery it. The triple dresser and the 2 nightstands have marble tops.

It is pouring down rain today, so the plants are getting watered by God, and we don't have to do it. Ed is checking on a leak in his new shop. When we have these gully-washer frog-strangler rains, and we've had a few since we moved here, the water collects in one corner of the yard, goes above the foundation, and comes in through the holes they leave between the bricks right above the foundation. He really needs to dig a drain under the fence foundation; we hope they don't go TOO deep.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9219 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9219 Posts

Posted - May 25 2020 :  10:34:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn,
What a pretty lily that is. Love lilies. They were one of my mom's favorites.

Linda, Oh boy, rain sitting in the yard is not good especially not near the foundation. One good thing about living on a hill here. Though when it rains hard and fast if the drain is not cleared at the back door we get water inside. The drain can't handle if too much at a time.

Been outside cleaning up the yard and weeding the flower beds. My rose bush is bursting with so many blossoms! So pretty and bright.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on May 25 2020 10:36:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6000 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6000 Posts

Posted - May 25 2020 :  3:47:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy Memorial Day everyone!
Love you all!

Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1171 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1171 Posts

Posted - May 25 2020 :  10:29:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pretty lily! Lillies smell so good. I keep meaning to plant some Stargazers -- maybe this fall I'll get around to it.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1191 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1191 Posts

Posted - May 26 2020 :  12:00:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am so excited this finally came today.

I love summer, but now I can't wait for Apple season. Fresh cider is the best.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3457 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3457 Posts

Posted - May 26 2020 :  12:23:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie.......Be still my heart with a real apple cider maker!! Oh , how wonderful and I can't wait to hear about your first cider making this Fall. There is nothing better than homemade cider for a Fall treat!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2642 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2642 Posts

Posted - May 26 2020 :  2:11:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It sounds like everyone had a quiet Memorial day weekend. We also had some showers and cooler weather, which was nice. We had our middle grandson stay with us for part of the weekend. We all went over to my daughter's for roasting hotdogs and smores. We went and visited both cemeteries...had a little history lesson with Silas. I explained why he would be seeing so many flags. He is so interested in history and at the age of 8, loves anything to do with World War 2. The things he can tell me! I really need to brush up on my history...
He started reading headstones and was so interested in how many served and in what branch.
I can't believe that summer will be here officially in a couple of weeks!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9219 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9219 Posts

Posted - May 26 2020 :  3:59:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie,
What fun you will have making your own apple cider! One of the things I love about fall is being able to get fresh cider from the farms here.

Debbie, Sounds like you had a nice day with family. We thought the kids might want to get together but I think they were just having a slow day at home together.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1191 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1191 Posts

Posted - May 27 2020 :  05:50:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, I knew you would be right there with on how exciting the cider press is. I have 6 apple trees and my daughter just planted 3 more so we will have plenty of varieties to practice with. Need to finish my weekly yard work today between helping move equipment to different fields. Does anyone else love mowing thier yard? I find it very relaxing and love the finished results.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9219 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9219 Posts

Posted - May 27 2020 :  06:36:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie,
I used to mow when we lived in our other house but when we moved here the men took it over. It is a rather large place to mow and the front yard is a hill. I do love the smell and how nice it looks afterwards though. You will have to share how you like using the press and what varities your are doing when it is time.
I just love apple picking time and fall.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9219 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9219 Posts

Posted - May 29 2020 :  04:05:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can it be we are in the last week of May? Summer will soon be upon us. We are in for a few rainy days and then I'm hoping we can get the lawn mowed. It seems to grow overnight.

Went and picked up our oldest grandson for a couple of days. He will help JT with some work he needs to get done for the business. JT is not much of an organizer so he welcomes the help when it comes to getting his work trailer cleaned and straightened up. Grandson is a good worker.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Project Discussions: Previous Topic May~2020 Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly