Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9306 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9306 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2020 :  04:00:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to a bright new month!
This month for us is when temperatures start turning much colder.
We will get the tree up tomorrow as is our tradition. Though we won't be celebrating our son's birthday with him we will still be putting up our tree that day. Today I will finish wrapping gifts.
Then I will have time for some baking.
I have a couple gifts to get made yet but they shouldn't take me long to do.
Hope this month is filled with peace and joy for each of you! What will you do to make this month special?

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2020 :  08:52:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love the month of December ... so many holidays to celebrate. I'm a huge Santa fan ...

Today I'll work on my holiday cards while watching some of my favourite holiday movies. There are some advantages of working from 3:30 pm to midnight. Hopefully no overtime this week.

Catch you all later! Cheers!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6011 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6011 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2020 :  09:16:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Normally in December I like to take the train to be with my youngest daughter in Washington and her family.
I am working on a project that is half done then can send it out.
I am waiting for an present in the mail but may have to do something different. I will celebrate a Christmas with all my very special friend on line.
Thank God for everything and everyone in my life.
God bless you all.

Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2020 :  12:07:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
December was a special month when I was 2...on the 24th I had my little short coat on and was clutching my teddy bear...saying "I want my mommy" as I stood behind the ambulance on that Kaliche road in Knox County, Texas. Then when they opened those two back doors...my mommy was on a 'bed' and she was not alone. I suppose, like any little child I wanted my mommy to hold me...but she had a new baby to hold and feed.
On December 14th Dr.Foy had removed my new baby sister, from my mommy's tummy. C section.
In 1945 that required 14 days in the hospital. Mother begged him to let them out before Christmas. He agreed as long as she had someone to care for them...my aunt and uncles house was the place...where we would stay until mother was ok to go home.
As a kid we always put our tree up on my sister's birthday.
Now we usually put it up about Dec.1st. It is still in its netting...standing in our driveway. The older we get the slower we become at getting things done.
I have often wondered how we little girls in our short tailed dresses and coats kept from freezing. Little girls don't get bigger around...they grow taller...so their little dresses get too short too fast.
I do hope you all have wonderful December.
Be sure to watch the heavens...it is supposed to be busy with the planet's lining up, an eclipse, Juiter chasing Saturn,etc.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Dec 01 2020 2:53:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4653 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4653 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2020 :  2:06:59 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Here's an idea for you to start today - a Kindness Advent Calendar

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017

Edited by - quiltee on Dec 01 2020 2:07:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4653 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4653 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2020 :  2:11:22 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I've been watching a lot of the holiday movies - some I've seen before and some are new.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2020 :  2:59:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda thanks for the heads up. I hope my phone did not cjange thongs up again. I hate using my phone for this but I had to get a new tablet and have no email yet.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2020 :  3:54:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darlene I'm so sorry that you must miss your two weeks at Christmas with your daughter and those precious twins, again this year. God bless you. You have such a sweet spirit and you are so patient, so humble. I love you my friend.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3460 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3460 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2020 :  3:57:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy December everyone!! Yes, this is the month of so many memories and special events. Today, I put away all of the fall decorations and got our a couple of things. This year will be a quiet one, so I am not sure how much I will decorate. I am simply taking each day one at a time and see what happens. I have a new Christmas book that was written by Kate Douglas Wiggin who was an educator and author of children's stories. She lived from 1856-1923 and devoted her life to children's welfare when they were considered cheap labor. This book was reproduced again in 2020 and has included the lovely little black and white illustrations. I am curious to see what it is all about.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9306 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9306 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2020 :  4:37:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, that is a wonderful calendar. I got it from your FB post. Thanks for sharing it here too!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Dec 01 2020 4:39:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1196 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1196 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2020 :  7:12:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank You for the wonderful calendar Linda, I to saw it on Facebook and printed it out to post on the refrigerator. I put our tree up over the weekend and decorated it today. I will finish putting up the rest of the decorations later this week. I have finished my shopping and will start wrapping next week. I did ship a couple of packages today, much earlier than normal but I am a bit nervous about shipping delays so better safe than sorry. I still have a couple of gifts I am working on, but they should be done in plenty of time for Christmas. Darlene, I am so sorry you will not be able to travel to your daughters this year.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9306 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9306 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2020 :  07:43:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found out this morning our son is coming home this weekend. Haven't seen him since February. It is going to be a quick visit. Will have cake to celebrate his birthday, which is today. The tree is going up today though I'm not sure when.
Busy so far today and I haven't even gotten started on anything I want to get done. We are taking our gifts to the kids and grandkids next weekend and also celebrating the two older girls' birthday's.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Dec 02 2020 07:47:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4653 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4653 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2020 :  09:08:20 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
WOW! That's great, Denise! A quick visit is better than no visit. Lots of birthdays for you this month. Maybe he can help decorate the tree by putting on his favorite ornament(s).

I'm glad several of you have liked the Advent Calendar. It is nice to think of all the little things we can do to brighten up someone's days. Some may be done at home - since we don't go out quite as much. Ed and I will also do some earlier than posted - like delivering 5 boxes of books local senior center before the 10th of the month. I'm also thinking that for those with younger grandkids, making up a kids Advent calendar like this would be a great project for each year.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2020 :  5:15:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our real live tree is up...not super thirsty yet.
It has clear lights... With one short strand of colored lites... I looked and looked but all of the colored lites are outside.
Our tree is a hot mess. It has sprigs of red berries stuck into the branches...which I love! Since I had a number of little flags I decided to include them. Then there are the ornaments. I think it is pretty...and patriotic.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4653 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4653 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2020 :  8:22:17 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Our tree is up - decorated, undecorated and re-decorated with other ornaments. The first ornaments I added to the tree did not look nice, so I took them all off and used all homemade ornaments from quilter swaps and farmgirl swaps. It looks a lot better now.

It is a new tree that we got at Home Depot last January or February - on sale. They said it was returnable, if we kept the receipt. Well, it works fine - most of the time. It has programmable lights that can flash or remain steady and they also change from colored to white. Well, all the white lights work all the time, there are two short branches where the colored lights will flash on and off correctly, but when on steady they often go off. When they are changing from colored to white, or flashing on and off, the colored lights are all on - only when steady do they decide to go off sometimes. We have them near the back of the tree where we don't see them when they are off. I'd return the tree, and may after Christmas - IF I can find the safe place where I saved the receipt. I THINK I put it in or on the box the tree was in, or in a drawer where I'm keeping important receipts. However, for some reason it is not in either place. GRRRRRR! Oh, well.

Ed has also put up some of the lights outside - well, all but the icicles. He said if it warms up a bit he will put them up, too. We also have a machine that plays music and makes the lights flash to the music. Kinda neat.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1196 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1196 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2020 :  06:29:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't you just love farm girl ornaments. I am hoping Keith gets the icicle lights up tomorrow. We don't get much traffic to see them, our driveway is 1 1/2 miles long and it is a private road, but I enjoy them and it makes me happy when they switch on at night. We have a new kitten this year and it has been a challenge to teach him to leave the tree alone.He hadn't broke any ornaments yet, but he sure has managed to get a lot off the tree when I am not paying attention.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2656 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2656 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2020 :  09:19:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everyone is so busy! I'm enjoying catching up with all that you girls have going on.
Denise, that is such a sweet picture of the little girl!
Darlene, I'm sorry that you won't be spending Christmas with your daughter. We are all here with you in spirit!
Linda, the story about your tree made me laugh so hard! Hopefully you can take it back after Christmas.
I will be going home in a couple of days to a house filled with pumpkins and fall decorations, ready to be taken down! We probably won't get the tree up until the 3rd week of the month. I have been in the mood to do some baking but not sure what, yet. I'm putting together a list in my head...I should PROBABLY write it down....haha! My middle grandson is wanting to make sugar cookies and gingerbread men with me. I was thinking that M&M's came in a mini size? I thought that might be cute to decorate them.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9306 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9306 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2020 :  09:51:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I spent the morning surrounded by paperwork. I would be finished except I need info so will look into that later. Have a couple of errands to run and then back to finish chores before I finish the tree.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Dec 03 2020 09:52:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2020 :  3:20:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cute snow people.
Debbie our puppy cannot be trusted! Today she chewed up the red berries from the spray she stole. Then i heard the sound of something rolling on the floor...it was a big red ornament. Then she came to the kitchen with her second flag. My husband said "She's patriotic!"
This will be one of those years!
When the girls were little they could not reach the top so pour trees looked a bit unusual...because the bottoms were heavily decorated but the tops...not much.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2020 :  3:25:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julie our lights are for our eyes too. When they came on, they stay. It is too cold to walk to the garage to turn them off. Our sons family and our neighbor couple as well as fed ex and UPS ate the only others that come up our driveway.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4653 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4653 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2020 :  4:44:08 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
We have our outdoor lights on a timer, so they come on at dusk, stay on for 5 hours, and go off around 11:30. That makes it handy and we don't have to go outside to turn them off.

At a church yard sale last year Ed bought a Christmas music thingee that plays carols as long as it is on. It is on that timer, too, and the speaker is right by the front door, so can you guess where I'm going with this??? Ed needs hearing aids which he doesn't always wear, and my ears are still good. I can barely hear the TV for the music, and I told one neighbor if it was too loud please let me know and I would turn it down. She said they couldn't hear it. WHEW! When you plug the lights into it they also go on and off with the music. Quite a spectacle. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9306 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9306 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2020 :  07:31:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I waded through yesterday's work and now am onto decorating the tree. It has been bare but for lights since we put it up.

I love the outside lights, but our son always put them up and now we don't do them anymore. But I still have candles in all the windows. Which is quite pretty on the outside. Lots of colonial type houses around here do the same thing. It's simple but still looks pretty.

I seem to have lots on my agenda today so need to get to it so we can enjoy the weekend time with family.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3460 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3460 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2020 :  4:36:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh by gosh, by golly, it's time for mistletoe and Holly!! I finally finished putting away the fall decor and now slowly working on what I am actually going to do for Christmas decorating. We are having another cold front pass through this weekend so the lovely chilly weather will continue all the way through next week too. Sweater weather makes this Farmgirl so happy!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2020 :  5:50:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess I'm really slow. Probably won't decorate until Saturday. I just can't get motivated to clean. But we have a large home-made grapevine wreath on our dining room sliding glass door. It's a start.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9306 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9306 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2020 :  6:15:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our tree is up and decorated. That is all we are doing this year. My Christmas cards will add to the decor.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6011 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6011 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2020 :  6:39:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Debbie, It will be better though because my daughter put her little ones on Messenger kids for me, that has been very interesting and very entertaining. Not the same but I will be able to talk with them on there.
Also things are starting to move, I got an appointment today with the Cardiologist, on Thursday morning. The Dentist so far is January 26. Maybe sooner. I hope.
That is a plus makes things look brighter.

I am working on a little something for you you all. It isn't big but its with love to you all.
Soon.

Thanks for your love!

Blessings
Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Very merry December~2020 Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page