levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9284 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9284 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2021 :  08:15:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been do a lot of downsizing as you all know, and I have been wondering what all your thoughts are on how far you go. If I took Marie Kondo's advice on whether something "sparks joy" or not we would have very little left. I guess I am doing that to some extent but obviously if my kitchen doesn't spark joy I can't stop using it. Lol.

We have also been going over a mental list of furniture we won't be taking when we do move in future. But we use it now so that will be the last things to go.

I have so much that I no longer use or don't have an interest in any more, but I have always had the "I might need that someday" mentality. I let a lot of things go after talking to my oldest brother about things belonging to my parents. They did not grow up having much so keeping things was important to them. We didn't have a lot either but I've always felt if someone else could use it pass it along. My mom wasn't as bad as dad. If someone came to visit and admired something, it usually went home with them. That was just mom.
Anyway, I was just wanting your thoughts on how much do you let go of or decide how to know when enough is enough?

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jan 30 2021 08:16:14 AM

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6008 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6008 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2021 :  09:34:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A very good question a Denise! I will be watching this, I have the same problem.

Thanks and good morning.

Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2021 :  9:37:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, have you thought of inviting your grand children to all come to your house for a long weekend together. ( their parents could come too.)
You would prepare ahead of time...bring out things that you still have. Moments of your children's younger years...even the older grand kids. But you must have a story to go along with each momento.perhaps writing some of them by hand would be nice for them to have have later on. JT could go through his stuff too.You should have a good tub with a good lid, for everyone to put their treasures in. Each child, and their spouse and grand child could claim several things. Don't forget the kitchen.
I have tons of stuff! My grandmas trunk is filled with momentos for the girls. When bay was about five months old I bought a little book for her, she used it as a toothing/ chewing object. So one corner is gone. As new books about the little white dog came out, I bought them and of course read them to her. Time passed and I found a "what not" of a little white dog at the dollar tree. Now those little books are tied together with ribbon and the little dog sits atop the books with a note from me about why they were saved. Soon I will give them to her so she can read them to Jasper. Both girls have always been interested in my collections of stuff. What I need is two shipping containers...one for each of them. Then I could empty much from my house...for them to use or sell some day.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Jan 30 2021 9:40:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9284 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9284 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2021 :  03:26:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do have things set aside but have already given my kids the things they want now. We have designated certain heirlooms to certain children/grandchildren.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2021 :  05:14:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I gave everyone a quilt two years ago at Christmas.
I have a painted China horse, a cobalt blue cream pitcher and lilac glass praying hands that were my Grandmas. And a cut glass tussy mussy that is a hanging vase for flowers that belonged to my hubby's step fathers grandma. I will let them choose two each. Then there are two of those long narrow, quite ornate photo albums from the late 1800s. I guess they each get one...but they both need repairs.
Every time I begin looking for something...I come across another treasure.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9284 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9284 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2021 :  05:27:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a clock that was given to my great grandmother on her 7th birthday. That is going to my son when I am done with it. It is still in good working order. Things that are still in use won't get passed on yet. I have loads of photos I need to start going through. Putting in albums. Those will go to my kids when finished.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3460 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3460 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2021 :  08:00:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, I sympathize with you and the question that always surrounds whether to let go of something or not. My Mother was a keeper, but we had a big family, she lived through the Depression and WWII, so her outlook was so different from mine. I continue to evaluate "stuff" while knowing that I should and could do more. Neither of my children want much at all. WE have collected a few nice antique pieces over the years and when it comes time to leave this house, I plan on hiring an estate sale team and have them get rid of everything that I am not taking forward. In my kitchen, since retirement, I have streamlined all utensils, pots/pans and dishes to what I need and what I use. I have way too many fun seasonal mugs, but that is my only area of true overkill. However, I have given a portion of them away to people who wanted them so the numbers are getting much smaller. Our Books-A-Million store has a buy back policy of used books and if they can resell something, I can get a little bit of money or store credit. Currently our Friends of the Library is not taking donations, but thrift stores keep bookshelves and many people love to pick up books cheaply. Books are a favorite of mine so I really have to periodically thin them out, especially since I know I won't be reading them twice. Too many new books to explore!! LOL!!

I am constantly reminded that this problem of too much stuff is not what a large majority of the World has to deal with. It humbles me and makes me more determined to pare down, keep it pared down and live simply.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9284 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9284 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2021 :  08:06:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie,
That is my goal. Pare down and live simply.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2021 :  9:01:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with you Winnie, we really do have a lot of things as Americans.......but really most of the things that I treasure are things left by my family members...as they left for heaven. The only piece of furniture, that is in my living room, that was store bought by my mother is a Tell City maple hutch. It belongs to bay...but when I asked her if she wss ready for it she said they don't have room for it yet. So it sits with her nativity collection, and that fine coating of protective dust that we get because every one drives by too fast...especially those who bring packages.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9284 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9284 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2021 :  09:55:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think many of our parents were keepers due to WWII and the Depression. They had to learn how to repurpose things. My dad didn't have much at all growing up so I think that also was part of the reason he kept so much stuff. I am trying to keep in mind that if we don't love it we don't need it. When it comes to other things that will definitely be do we need it?

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2021 :  10:41:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you keep a roll of string...not a solid long roll from Wal-Mart. Oh no, I'm talking about the string from your feed sacks. No piece is very long but you tie them together and the length grows and so does the ball.my grandma kept hers in a drawer. Mine is in the top right hand drawer of her old buffet.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4646 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4646 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2021 :  10:43:13 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have several pieces of furniture that were my mothers from her mother - a 2-tiered pie-edged round table, a caned child's rocking chair made by her mother's grandfather, a fancy rectangular table, and a handmade platform rocker and love seat (that I had re-upholstered) that were given to me by my mother's aunt Odie.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9284 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9284 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2021 :  10:44:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No I don't keep string. We don't have feedbacks anymore. I do keep plastic bags to use for small trash cans in the bedrooms and bathrooms.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9284 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9284 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2021 :  10:48:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda,
I have lots of furnishings from grandparents and parents. I have my grandmother's bedroom suite. Her cedar chest. A desk from JT's great grandmother, small tables, my childhood rocker as well as my grandmother's caned child's rocker.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2021 :  9:07:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I was about 23 my husbands grandmother asked me to help her reapolster her sofa and chair. I don't remember where it came from but it was old and ornate.. . the wood was carved and pretty. One of her kids got it. They also got away with her round dining table, high backed Victorian chairs and the buffet. I had varnished it for her, because it got so much use, the varnish wore off.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9284 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9284 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2021 :  03:51:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good that it was kept in the family Marilyn. Hopefully they will get passed on to another generation.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2021 :  2:19:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The daughter who got it is the only one left. She must be about 92 now...since she can't live alone anymore...I don't know where the furniture lives.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2021 :  6:17:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The daughter who got it is the only one left. She must be about 92 now...since she can't live alone anymore...I don't know where the furniture lives.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic Continuing journey Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page