Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9212 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9212 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2022 :  05:23:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is your favorite craft right now?

I have been learning about journals, junk journals actually, I'm sure these are maybe something that everyone has been doing for awhile but I just made my first one. It's more of a journal with pretty pages to write on with little things added here and there but keeping in mind spaces to write little notes, an inspiring word here and there and thoughts, etc. I really love the way my first finished one came out. I did have a flop the very first try but didn't waste more than the cover. This one will be a gift. I love papercrafting and though I am not good at card making or scrapbooking I do feel my creative juices flowing when it comes to this.

What craft is it that makes you feel your creativity coming out just now. I say now because I know many of us have many things we enjoy but is there something that gets you fired up at present?

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jul 07 2022 05:24:38 AM

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2022 :  09:34:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, I would love to see a picture if you took one and want to share. :)

I love junk journaling because there is truly no right or wrong way to do it. It’s just a creative process. Adding things that are pleasing to your eye and using every day items…ticket stubs, pieces of a map, a pretty envelope, is such a joy to me. And unlike most crafting projects, sometimes more is better. Lol

Papercrafting is where I am right now. But it seems to be where “I live”! It’s my good ol’ reliable craft. It can be a quick project or a more in depth one. :)

Karen :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2022 :  10:44:17 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
OK - this will be my second time trying to write and send this.

My favorite "crafting" projects are using fabrics and "fibers": sewing, quilting, crochet, and knitting. I make aprons, quilts, kitchen items (microwave bowl potholders, kitchen boas, microwave baked potato bags, dish drainer quilts), scrubbies, sweaters. My craft room is always busy looking - okay, messy - filled with projects finished, UFOs, and thought of but not started (i.e., patterns with and without materials to make them with, miscellaneous items I know I can use for something, denim jeans and shirts to repurpose into useable items, etc. ). I can usually find what I am looking for with little or no wasted time. Oh yeah, right! LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1171 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1171 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2022 :  12:00:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a group of friends who met in a civil war quilting class about ten or twelve years ago and we would meet outside the class once a month and sew, crochet, knit, etc -- whatever we were crafting at the time. Over the years most moved and some died. There are only two of us left. We still go to classes together when the spirit moves us, and we get together once a month or so to play. We recently decided we're getting tired of sewing and are making junk journals. Another very sweet MJF member gifted me with one and we were completely fascinated with it so of course we have to try our hand. I have my cover made and some pages done. I used the 4th of July cards that people sent for one section along with other little things like pockets and tags and sewing lace on some of the pages. I'm going to go through my cards (yup -- I save them all) and do sections for holdidays and seasons.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9212 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9212 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2022 :  1:15:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure why I am fascinated by these journals but I just love all the little hiding spots for notes and things.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2022 :  1:56:58 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I really don't need another hobby, but you all are making junk journals look interesting. I'm going to look them up on Pinterest. I know I've got a lot of junk to use.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2022 :  6:43:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think all the secret tuck spaces, envelopes, and pockets are one of the best things about junk journals! :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9212 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9212 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2022 :  6:58:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Me too Karen. On another note, I got the card back today that I sent to you for 4th of July Karen. I'm not sure why as I sent to the same address I have sent everything else to you. It said it was undeliverable and it had the word North = 611 written on it by the post office I am assuming but I don't know why or what that means. The address is clearly written so I can't imagine what the problem was.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3457 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3457 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2022 :  08:36:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have enjoyed doing several crafts over the years, but I never pursue them to advanced. One reason I think this has happened is that I worked all the time I was raising a family and my craft time was really limited. As a result , I tended to do quick and easy things because I just never had enough time to more. As a result, I never cultivated the idea that now I was going to do something more challenging. Many people move forward and work full time and have kids so I know my excuse is just that; my excuse. Now , I have the time but not the motivation to pursue crafting at higher levels. Isn't that weird?? I like the reward of finishing something in a relatively short amount of time. I do enjoy, however, seeing the products of everyone who has upped their skills and expanded their levels of pursuit!! I have received some amazing handcrafted swaps!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1171 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1171 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2022 :  10:48:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's my excuse too. Raising a family and working took up most of my time. My hobby then was reading -- easy to pick up and put down as time allowed. I guess I was just waiting for enough time to actually make something because as soon as I retired I put the books down and started quilting and making soap. Then I tried other crafts. It's like I was waiting for me time. I'm not an expert at anything, more like a jack-of-all-trades.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6000 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6000 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2022 :  11:05:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been doing painting rocks mostly then am taking a watercolor painting class on line with the Senior resource here I am workng on abstract painting. Which is not easy for me because my brain works in Realistic pictures.

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6000 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6000 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2022 :  11:10:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by darlenelovesart

I have been doing painting rocks mostly then am taking a watercolor painting class on line with the Senior resource here I am workng on abstract painting. Which is not easy for me because my brain works in Realistic pictures
I will pot it when I am done with it!

New thought
I have another thought though. I tried something new the other day, I put cinnamon in my coffee with creamers. Very yummy but even after microwaving the cinnamon stayed in powdered form. It did not soften,still yummy.

Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

sweettea59
True Blue Farmgirl

1247 Posts

Sherry
Longview Texas
USA
1247 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2022 :  3:49:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love it all and want to do it all, but just don't have all the time I need. I do love the junk journals, I love paper. Have a whole scrapbook room full of it and all my other crafts. But sewing has my heart right now. I have a new grandson coming in Oct, so I need to work on a baby quilt, and I have UFO projects that need my attention. Some are even Christmas projects my snow ladies as I call them. My daughter and I have a booth at a little shop here in town and it keeps us on our toes all the time. Just trying to keep it stocked. So, sewing little bits for the shop.

Farmgirl Hugs & May all your Wishes come true.
Sherry
Farmgirl #2215
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2022 :  4:54:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, that’s so strange. I had another piece of mail that had that 611 something on it. My address is 32 S Yost St. Of course the city, state and zip would be what you have on file. That’s so strange…I’m off to investigate…

Edited…there is not a 32 N. Yost St…

Edited by - Jokamartell on Jul 09 2022 4:59:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9212 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9212 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2022 :  5:40:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karen, I found I was missing the S. So I resent it with that on it. Better late than never I guess.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9212 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9212 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2022 :  5:42:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You do have a lot keeping you busy Sherry! Congratulations!!

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9212 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9212 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2022 :  03:24:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For those who do these journals, what do you use for your covers? Cardboard, cardstock or ?

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jul 11 2022 03:24:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1171 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1171 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2022 :  11:20:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got a book from the good will that was in good shape and removed the pages. I covered the book with fabric and glued end pages in it. I glued the fake pansies on the cover and did encaustic over them.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6000 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6000 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2022 :  12:57:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is that a notebook? Or regular book Judith?

Hugs
Darlene 0

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2022 :  2:59:00 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I find it hard to tear apart a book that is in good condition - I enjoy reading too much. Now, if it is in bad shape, that's another thing altogether.

I do use old hymnals to make hymnal angels. Has anyone done that? A lot of page folding to make the wings and skirt, but something that can be done while watching television.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2022 :  8:29:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have used chipboard covered in fabric or decorative paper as well as just recovered a notebook with the decorative paper. I also just use card stock as a cover if it’s not going to be used on a daily basis. :)

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9212 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9212 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2022 :  03:01:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you use a book or chipboard how do you attach the pages?

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9212 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9212 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2022 :  06:50:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most of who've known me for a while know I am an organizer by nature. Nothing stays that way when it comes to crafting but I do like to have things where I can find them.
So tell me, how do you who make the cards and junk journals organize your things. Mostly paper, I have a handle on the tools and how to keep them organized. Do you just put all your paper in together? How about the extras like the ephemera you use in them? By that I mean tags, envelopes, small cards, etc.? Right now things are overflowing on my craft table and I'd really like to corral this into some semblance of neatness and organization so I have room to work. Do you use files? Or boxes? Tell me please.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1171 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1171 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2022 :  11:44:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have three dresser drawers organized with paints, glues, tools, embossing powders, stamps, stamp pads, and a box of small items -stencils, tags, stickers, small paper stuff. Then I have the big shopping bag full of bigger paper stuff I think might be useful someday --junk mail, cards, magazines, tissue, etc. I have more stuff than I really need but I always have to try out different new things; my latest is Gelatos, which are kind of like lipstick-textured crayons. I like experimenting with new things. I will never be a good artist but I have fun. I'll find something new then wonder what to do with it -- YouTube to the rescue.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2022 :  11:57:42 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You tube can help with many many crafts.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2022 :  8:17:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use kallax units from IKEA now. They hold cubes where I put all my goodies. Before it was a mishmash of different furniture. I try to organize my paper by season or by company. It just depends. Ephemera is kept in some built in drawers that my hubby built. My bling is also kept in those drawers. I also have Alex drawers from ikea. One unit holds trimmers, punches, foam tape, glue dots, and chipboard. The other one houses all the stuff for my junk journals. Maybe one day…if my room is ever clean “enough”, I will share pictures.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Project Discussions: Previous Topic So tell me.. Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page