Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Who loves old Kitchens??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Who loves old Kitchens?? Next Topic  

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3460 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3460 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2023 :  08:25:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As many of you know, I have been digging into the history of America's kitchen history for many years. It all started back in about 2011 when I found this old stove up in North Georgia in a little town antique store. It is from the 1930s and had been on somebody's porch for who knows how long. The underside of it has rusted out so the stove oven part would have to be repaired or replaced in order to use. However, the top has 3 gas burners and the hook up to a gas canister still work.

In my spotlight profile, I spoke fondly of my Grandma's old cast iron cook stove that used wood. My original dream was to find one of those and use it in my kitchen as an accent piece. But, they are usually very large and heavy so when I found this smaller vintage gas stove, I grabbed it. Here is how it looks right now.

On the stove top, I have my Mom's little wooden salt/pepper holder she always used plus a few other things you see. Right now, I have a National Dairy Month theme on the stove top covering the burners along with an enamelware percolator . The butter churn is a new replica from Ohio Stoneware but it would work perfectly if I wanted to try and make butter. The little old kitty on the left lower leg side belonged to Warren's Mom and she received it as a child for Easter one year.

On the left side , I have an old crock that included my Mom's various rolling pins which I still use. The old boxes they sit on came from a junk pile as a neighbor's house was cleared out. I have both of my Mom's old cook books plus one vintage book I found in a thrift store on the shelf of one box.

This whole project has been growing and changing since 2011 one piece at a time. A few years back, I created my own Buttery in this tiny space I had. The Buttery was another name for a part of a kitchen area for storage of all sorts of things not used every day. There were canned goods, equipment, ingredient storage, and basically anything else related to kitchen and family needs. Since I only had about 26 inches of space , my Buttery is quite small but has been both a storage piece and a decorative piece. Under the Buttery sign which I purchased, there is a small box with miniature cans showing Libby canned foods. These cans came from a merchant who visited my Grandma's home when my Mom was a little girl sometime after she was born in 2014. The cans were taken to show women what was available to them from Libby in grocery stores. Canned goods were just taking off for home kitchens now because they allowed people who did not have big gardens to have canned foods all year long. They also supplied the new Canned evaporated milk and canned meats like sausages and corned beef. The cans became toys for my Mom and all of us kids growing up. Nobody wanted them and I was delighted to have them. There is actually a cardboard shelf to hold them up on, but it has been bent and now won't stay straight to hold the cans. It is really cute and I tried to make it work. I really enjoy looking at these old cans and trying to imagine the excitement of women to have other solutions for foods if they worked or lived in an apt. complex in a city with no access to growing anything.

This past Winter, I added a few touches here and there and created now what I call my Kitchen nook. What you don't see is the small table and chairs where Hubby and I eat. My kitchen is small by today's standards, but this corner was always an awkward area for convenience for anything but a kitchen table. Now it is my "Farmhouse" kitchen where I can enjoy a sort of collection of America's kitchen from post Civil War to what we know today with big spacious counters, cabinets, dishwashers, big fridges and fancy stoves. While the rest of my kitchen is quite simple and small, I have used the space it was built with and created plenty of what I need and want to work and cook.

Welcome to my kitchen of past years and have a cup of coffee of tea with me!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4644 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4644 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2023 :  12:38:15 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
That is so so cute, Winnie! Love your display and working stove.

At one time I had a large 6-burner wood burning stove with water reservoir, oven, and warming ovens; we had bought it from someone in Nevada. It was a very nice blue enameled color. When he got out of the Navy it was shipped back to our California house and we had it hooked up to use for heat in a new addition to the house. We divorced after that and my ex-husband had it last; it was in a run-down house he had in the California hills and I have no idea where it is now. It was a beautiful stove.

Some friends in Nevada had one, too, and one November we had a Thanksgiving dinner cooked on theirs.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3460 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3460 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2023 :  1:14:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh wow! I love your story about the beautiful blue wood burning stove. It is a shame that the stove could not stay in your possession as it would be an amazing antique to still enjoy. Thanks for sharing your story here!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9254 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9254 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2023 :  1:24:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, your vintage kitchen area is adorable. I love the way you have decorated with everything.

Linda that sounds like a great stove. I always wanted either a woodburning stove or the modern look of an O'Keefe & Merritt stove.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jun 03 2023 1:25:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6005 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6005 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2023 :  2:04:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow I love that old kitchen! It is so neat!

Thanks for sharing!
Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

929 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
929 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2023 :  6:39:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, Winnie! I love your farmhouse kitchen!! What a wonderful collection goodies!! Thank you so much for sharing your home with us. I would love to have some tea with you! :)

Karen :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2023 :  9:24:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, I love your pictures and story about your kitchen! I spend so much time in that room more than any other one in the house. I like to have things I enjoy looking at in the kitchen. I love my vintage things too that belonged to my Granny and great Aunt mattie. Sometimes friends and family think things I have are a little Quirky for the kitchen, I'm a lot Quirky myself!
Thanks for sharing!

Connie #3392
Imagine....
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9254 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9254 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2023 :  03:26:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's not quirky if you love it Connie! So very good to see you here again!

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4644 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4644 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2023 :  08:42:51 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Great to see you posting here, Connie. Welcome!

I hope Lily June is doing well. I'm sure she has grown - a lot!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2023 :  1:25:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Linda and Denise! happy to look in on everyone!

Connie
Imagine....#3392
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3460 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3460 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2023 :  3:17:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think being quirky is a badge of honor!! LOL!!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1192 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1192 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2023 :  06:42:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love your little kitchen nook Winnie. I have lots of vintage kitchen dishes and utensils I use for display. They were packed away when we remodeled the kitchen this last winter and I know when I go to unpack them it will be Christmas all over again. Connie it is good to see you here, We miss you girlfriend.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2023 :  08:15:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Julie, I've missed you all too!
Connie #3392
Imagine....
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3460 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3460 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2023 :  12:43:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kitchens just bring out the best of a home, I think, because so many good things happen there. Beloved family recipes, special gatherings for birthdays and holidays all center in the kitchen. Plus, kitchens have traditionally been the space that women have spent much of every day when they were raising a family. The items we have and use are also a reflection of family heirlooms, cooking techniques of our times, and endless little this and thats from our own interests and passions. When I go to visit a historic home, I always spend extra time in the kitchens just looking at the things that were used at the time, the "feel" of the place, and the special little bits that speak to how everyday life was lived in the home. To some extent, my collections are actually the items that my Mom and Grandma used every day. Some items are different due to many reasons, but the essence of what I put together is simply what reminds me of how and why kitchens even have what they do. Plus, I have always loved to cook and learn new things. Creating a simple but delicious loaf of bread makes me happy. Recently, I finished another book titled, "Just a Housewife" by Glenna Matthews. It is actually a book about the changes in the role of women in the home over the history of our country. It has been women who have welcomed changes in how food was prepared, cooked, and enjoyed. Women pushed for and supported the huge changes in technologies that the 20th Century brought in. They were the people who figured out basic floor plans to make their work easier, efficient, and a place of welcome in addition to daily meals. We today are the inheritors of their efforts and applied talents! If you want to know more about how women became the bulwark of every home, check out the history of kitchens. So many contributions and knowledge that we take for granted today was figured out in the "home laboratory" where women were the leaders.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic Who loves old Kitchens?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page