Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Go to Flower for Containers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Go to Flower for Containers Next Topic  

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

909 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
909 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2023 :  5:43:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The majority of my flowers grow in containers that I’ve placed around my yard. My question for you is what’s your favorite flower to grow in a container and why.

My two favorite are marigolds and geraniums.

Marigolds are easy to grow from seed. They come in a variety of colors and sizes and will happily reseed for you! :) They also are good at keeping bugs at bay in your garden.

Geraniums are just fun. They are hardy, easy to maintain and grow well in containers. The variety of colors is so fun. For some reason they seem old fashioned to me, which endears them to me even more.

I can’t wait to hear what your favorites are! :)

Karen :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2023 :  5:45:40 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
For comtainers I like Sweet potato vines with marigolds; geraniums are also easy to care for.

My husband likes caring for the rose bushes, but they aren't in containers. I love the smell of roses.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9201 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9201 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2023 :  6:46:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love geraniums and petunias!

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3455 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3455 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2023 :  06:27:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We plant all of our flowers in large pots because the soil is full of pests and the plants do better in pots. We stay away from plastic and go for the earthenware stuff . We find them often in the summer and late spring in a variety of colors and sizes for good prices.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1190 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1190 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2023 :  5:46:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I grow a lot of flowers in pots. Some of my favorites are calibrachoa, lobelia, verbena, geraniums, petunias, coleus and sweet potato vine. All of these are easy to grow, they don’t mind if I forget to water for a few days and add amazing color to my yard and deck.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

909 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
909 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2023 :  6:19:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, girls!

For those who said petunias, how to you keep them from going super leggy? I start off with beautiful bushy plants and by mid summer they are legging and straggling.

Karen :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page

AussieChick
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Cindy
Bend Oregon
USA
45 Posts

Posted - May 29 2023 :  11:20:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Karen - I have Golden Marjoram, Snowflake Candytuft, Sedum 'Dragon's Blood', pansies, tulips and some variegated grasses growing in pots down here in Bend at the moment. They're all fairly low-maintenance which is helpful! I also have some indoor plants (succulents & African Violet).

Farmgirl #6058
Farmgirl Sister of the Year 2021

"The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have".
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4642 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4642 Posts

Posted - May 29 2023 :  6:15:19 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I enjoy our mums. They are doing very well right now, but since the temperatures are getting higher, they will start to fade a bit. We have to water all the plants at least once a day, unless we get a nice rain once in a while.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3455 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3455 Posts

Posted - May 31 2023 :  12:35:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We grow all of our flowers in large pots that are not plastic. Right now we have Lantana, Supertunias, Vincas, Pentas, Geraniums, Plumbago, and I can't even remember the rest. Hubby is the gardener and he plants and cares for all the plants and does such a great job. Here in Florida with the long hot summers, we have to plant things that can withstand the heat and humidity. All of the plants listed here are varieties of flowers that will survive.......hopefully!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2023 :  9:56:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I mostly have just patio pots. I have 1 raised bed by the patio I use containers in it too. I love Petunias, they do get leggy as Karen says. Sometimes pruning them works, sometimes not.
I always plant Lantana, all colors, Vinca, Dianthus because it comes back year after year in my concrete pots. Zinnia, Sage, Thyme, Basil.Pansies, I always plant the winter ones and they come back to life in early spring if Winter wasn't bad. Begonias.
I also do cherry tomatoes in containers.

Connie #3392
Imagine....

Edited by - Killarney on Jun 06 2023 9:58:42 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic Go to Flower for Containers Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page