nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1258 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1258 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2024 :  11:36:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm curious - would you travel to see the total eclipse?

I'm lucky that I live in the path of total darkness so I don't have to even worry about it. And while I think it's going to be quite an experience, I don't think I would travel to see it. I'm going to enjoy watching it from home. I don't even want to know how many people are going to be in town. Wapakoneta is the birth place of Neil Armstrong (first man on the moon). So while Wapakoneta is a native american name, almost everything in town is Moon something. There's an air and space museum that's in the shape of a moon that can be seen from interstate 75. There's a statue of Neil and a HUGE space helmet down town. The moon fest is every June. You get the idea. There are a bunch of activities planned all weekend long and school is closed Monday. I heard the campground and fairgrounds are all booked but they're asking local residents to stay home. I don't know how "they" know so many people will be traveling. I also heard that a hotel in Lima (our closest big town) is charging $1,000 per night that weekend. (I didn't check into it to see if it's true). Sounds crazy to me LOL!

~Heather
“I would rather be on my farm than be emperor of the world.” — George Washington

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2642 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2642 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2024 :  08:37:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We were right in the path of the solor eclipse in August of 2017. The city and county started planning for it at least a year in advance. They had dry camping set up in just about every space imaginable! All of the hotels in the area were booked and some were charging outrageous amounts of money. OSU's local research station hosted scientists from NASA that gave talks on all things eclipse. My daughter and I went to one and it was so interesting! To think of every little thing that has to come together for an eclipse to happen...and then to have it go right over your house was kind of mind blowing. We also learned that there are eclipse chasers...they will travel all over the world to see them.
The locals were also told to stay home if they could. We had tens of thousands in the area. They started trickling in a week or so ahead so it was a gradual build up. Brad and I decided to "rebel" and went to town one evening for dinner and we were the only ones in the restaurant! haha I guess everyone was following the rules.
The actual eclipse was really cool...something to watch for...everything gets really QUIET right before it happens...it's hard to describe. I think the birds even quit chirping. The horses acted like something funny was going on. But with all of the buildup getting to that moment of eclipse, as soon as it passed to the other side, people didn't even wait to watch the second half! Just packed it up and started leaving...and that's when the grid lock happened. Traffic was at a standstill for miles!!!
Since we live 10 miles north of town, we didn't have to deal with that. I walked back to our house from where we were watching it and enjoyed watching the second half on my way home. It was definitely cool to watch and something to share with the grandsons. But I wouldn't travel to see one. Too many people!! Here are my 3 boys anxiously awaiting the eclipse!
I'm glad that you will get a chance to see it! Your town sounds pretty cool!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9224 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9224 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2024 :  10:49:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Probably not but don't have to worry about it as we are right in the band for it this year.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

3810 Posts

Debbie Fischer
Coos Bay OR
3810 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2024 :  11:38:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great photo Debbie.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Farmgirl if the Month for:
September 2012, February 2018 and September 2022
“My altars are My Mountains and the Ocean.” Lord Bryon
When I am old I am wearing Purple. I am Old!!

Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

3810 Posts

Debbie Fischer
Coos Bay OR
3810 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2024 :  07:47:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Farmgirl if the Month for:
September 2012, February 2018 and September 2022
“My altars are My Mountains and the Ocean.” Lord Bryon
When I am old I am wearing Purple. I am Old!!

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1258 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1258 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2024 :  12:49:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, it was certainly neat to see! But I don't think I would travel and spend lots of money to experience it again. My mother in law was very concerned for our cows. She heard that they were going to be all confused and ready for milking. After she watched the ring appear she ran over to the barn. Much to her disappointment, the cows really didn't care LOL! They continued to do what cows do - some were eating and some were laying in their stalls. No one got up and went to the parlor for milking. (just as I thought they would do)

The one weird thing for me was that my camera wouldn't capture the eclipse until it was total. For some reason when it first started happening I couldn't even get the sun - just a bright sky. When it was over half my camera picked up the whole circle for the sun. I tried putting my special glasses over the camera and it still didn't get it. I did get a couple pictures of the full eclipse though. I'll have so share some when I get them off my camera.

~Heather
“I would rather be on my farm than be emperor of the world.” — George Washington
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9224 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9224 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2024 :  1:23:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We went to my daughter's to see it with them and the grandchildren. It was pretty cool but like you Heather I wouldn't travel to see it.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic Eclipse Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: